Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensitivity Issues

rachel19977

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 4:53 am
Hello,
I can't figure out where to search, and don't know if this subject has been spoken about.
If yes, please send me links?

Any proven work at home methods, horse riding, music therapy, art, etc
- do any of those work for children with sensitivity issues?

I've done horse riding for my son, (11 years old) but would like to know other proven things.

I know going for therapy at a place is the best, but until my ex husband can decide on a place he agrees on as well, I would like to know what other methods have worked for your kids?

Any advice appreciated, feel free to PM me as well.

chani8

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 5:56 am
Can you be more specific? Sensitivity issues regarding what?

I'm sensory. Beethoven soothes me. Cooking stimulates me. Cleaning desensitizes me. Finger food gives me pleasure. Pets that demand petting push me to relax.

Younger kids do well with jumping and swinging. I think skating is good for them, too.

Hiking is perfect for all ages.

And herbs, vitamins, and minerals are all very important. Make sure your child is getting a good multivitamin that has all the B vits, D3, choline and inositol and magnesium. And herbs that affect GABA are important too, like Valerian root or Chamomile.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 9:45 am
chani8 wrote:
Younger kids do well with jumping and swinging. I think skating is good for them, too.

Proprioceptive activities (input to muscles and joints, like pushing and pulling) are regulating and good for nearly all kids and all sensory issues but NOT vestibular activities like swinging or skating. These can be he!! for some kids (and adults) so you need to know more about the specific nature of the sensory issues to know which activities might help.

chani8

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 9:56 am
5*Mom wrote:
Proprioceptive activities (input to muscles and joints, like pushing and pulling) are regulating and good for nearly all kids and all sensory issues but NOT vestibular activities like swinging or skating. These can be he!! for some kids (and adults) so you need to know more about the specific nature of the sensory issues to know which activities might help.

I agree, that it depends on the child and their sensory issues. Also, when you find what works, kids will let you know because they'll want more and more. And hate it when it's painful for them.

rachel19977

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 7:00 am
chani8 wrote:
Can you be more specific? Sensitivity issues regarding what?

I'm sensory. Beethoven soothes me. Cooking stimulates me. Cleaning desensitizes me. Finger food gives me pleasure. Pets that demand petting push me to relax.

Hiking is perfect for all ages.

And herbs, vitamins, and minerals are all very important. Make sure your child is getting a good multivitamin that has all the B vits, D3, choline and inositol and magnesium. And herbs that affect GABA are important too, like Valerian root or Chamomile.

Chani,
All of it is due to divorce and parental alienation efforts by their father and also exposure to a new kind of cult super orthodoxy trend going on in Israel.
For instance, when I bake with my 11 year old, he wants to feel everything and mix everything with his hands. I'm starting to introduce them to Enigma and Yanni and it's wonderful.
After I come home from work, I cannot start go to skating and hiking when there's dinner to make and homework to be done.
I will look into vitamins. Is there anything you can recommend in Israel that's a all-in-1?
He has started taking Ritalin-LA 20mg since school started.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)