Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Not Able to Light Chanukah Candles

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:22 am
Any ideas re the following scenario?

DH will not be able to light Chanukah candles one night of Chanukah because of travel. As in he will be in airports/airplanes the entire time it's possible to light.

I know, ask your LOR but this is easier. I told him I will have him in mind when I light and can't think of anything else.

Teomima

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:30 am
Perhaps the airport's chapel will have candles set up? I'd see if he can reach the airport's chaplain in advance and ask. If not, then your solution will likely be the only option.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:31 am
As far as I know, your house needs to light. If you are lighting at home, then the mitzva's done. But I'm no rav.

mo5

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:55 am
I've had this scenario. A wife is motzi her husband for chanuka candles- so you are right. (Check with your own LOR )
Trying to find a place at the airport is a good idea too.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 9:01 am
If there's an electric menorah as part of the holiday display, he can make a bracha on it. I used an electric menorah when I had to be in the hospital for a couple of days and wasn't allowed actual candles.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 10:19 am
Thanks for your replies.

He'll be in the air at times when airports might have something. He'll have to make do with my lighting. He will be able to hear me via Skype when I light even though it won't be the right time for him but that's the best we can do.

As they say, "Libi b'Mizrach Ve'ani B'sof Maarav"

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 10:27 am
We have this situation right now as my DH suddenly had to go OOT. Our rav said I should ight and be motzei him.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 10:48 am
We have this scenario regularly as DH has yahrtzeit on Erev Chanukah and tries to go to EY to his mother's kever (it only happens every other year or so), and I can never go at that time because of my work schedule, so I need to light and be motzei him for when he is on the plane and need to light the other nights he is away so that someone lights in the house.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
If there's an electric menorah as part of the holiday display, he can make a bracha on it. I used an electric menorah when I had to be in the hospital for a couple of days and wasn't allowed actual candles.

He can't make a brocho on it. A menorah only needs to be lit in a home. You were "living" in the hospital, so maybe you got a psak under those circumstances. There is no idea to light in a place that is not a home (so there goes the chapel idea too). He can make only the second brocho if he sees Chanuka candles that someone lit in their home.

You lighting and being motzi him is probably the best idea, but of course, he should ask a rav.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions