Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you send your kid back to school? School security.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 5:53 pm
Consider the following scenario: your child comes off the bus and informs you that a classmate saw a man with a gun outside the schoolyard. After questioning, the kid tells you that the kids in the yard were rushed inside, the security guard (1 person) was sent outside to check and saw nothing, and the kids who saw the gunman were sent to the office to be questioned. The cops were not called by anyone at the school. The secretary of the school poo-poos the concern when you call. Based on the details, it is unlikely that there was an actual gun.

Would you feel that your child was safe if the school didn't call 911/chose to run their own mini-investigation?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 7:04 pm
bump.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 7:07 pm
My kids went to public schools and a siting such as this would cause the school to go on lockdown until the area was secured. You now have an opportunity to discuss lock down policies with your school administrators.

sourstix

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 7:24 pm
obviously the administration didnt think what they heard was valid. or they would have the police come in. I think everyone is panicking here. they are responsible adults. find out who saw a gun and how old the kid is. kids make up stories. not saying this isnt a real thing to talk about. but cant a kid just say a comment and be of no value? especially boys....

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 7:32 pm
sourstix wrote:
obviously the administration didnt think what they heard was valid. or they would have the police come in. I think everyone is panicking here. they are responsible adults. find out who saw a gun and how old the kid is. kids make up stories. not saying this isnt a real thing to talk about. but cant a kid just say a comment and be of no value? especially boys....

Not a boys' school. I know who said it, not the type to make up stories. I don't think the admin should have taken the time to investigate before calling the cops, and a secretary did the questioning. I don't think this was responsible at all. A job as a yeshiva administrator does not mean handles emergencies well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics