Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Ideas to DIY this - or cheap alternative?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 9:41 pm
Looking for non-slip discs to use as floor spots, that I can write on with dry erase markers and wipe off (I.e. needs to have a smooth/shiny top surface) These would be perfect but so expensive! Any idea what one could use to make your own, or whether there is a cheaper alternative that works (I saw one cheaper brand on Amazon but many reviews said they are too slippery to be safe to use with kids running and jumping around on them)

https://store.schoolspecialty......Spots

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:11 pm
Frisbees??

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:15 pm
Needs to be flat/non-slip. It is to be used to mark floor spots for sports and games.

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:18 pm
Laminated poster that you cut into circles?

pingo

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:21 pm
Flat round rubber bath tub drain stopper....?

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:26 pm
Laminated poster would be slippery. I don't know if you are getting the concept, I guess you've never seen it before - therapists and gym teachers use these, they are about 8-12" in diameter, you put them down on the floor and use them to show kids where to go - e.g. as bases in baseball or spots to stand or sit on in circle time and not be too close to anyone else... so they need to be flat enough to stand on and NOT slippery at all or kids could get hurt.

The ones shown are made of silicone so I wonder if there is a cheaper way to get silicone circles like that. Seriously, $18 for 6 is just not in my budget right now...

smss

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:26 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
Laminated poster that you cut into circles?

I don't think that would be non-slip.
OP, I like the idea, can't think of any alternatives or DIYs but will be following to see if anyone else comes up with something!

joy613

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:31 pm
This might be a crazy idea but you know those bathroom/floor mats they have in 99 cents stores. Or non slip bathtub mats. They're like rubbery maybe silicon. Maybe you can buy those and cut out circle shapes?

SmileUrJewish

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:33 pm
These aren't any more affordable but maybe they will peak someone's creativity...

http://www.kohls.com/product/p.....s.jsp

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:47 pm
Hashem loves me wrote:
This might be a crazy idea but you know those bathroom/floor mats they have in 99 cents stores. Or non slip bathtub mats. They're like rubbery maybe silicon. Maybe you can buy those and cut out circle shapes?

Hm.... maybe... will take a look around!

mommyla

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 10:51 pm
Baseball bases? Maybe you can find extra-large ones and cut them into circles.

reality mom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 11:11 pm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....lSrch

These are cheaper.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 11:33 pm
Yeah those are the ones I originally said reviews say they slip and don't work well

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 11:33 pm
The sportime ones are good (that's what my OT uses) but not so much looking to spend $18 on 6 dots.

BeHappy!

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 11:41 pm
Rubber gripper ( to open bottles)/ flat sink/bathtub stopper

smss

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 11:48 pm
Any chance using plain posterboard would work? Of course they wouldn't be reusable/changeable then but posterboard's pretty cheap, and if you taped it to the floor should be nonslippery.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 11:51 pm
Can you buy some non-slip shelf liner or rug liner and cut it up?

reality mom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 11:51 pm
As a Gym Teacher, I've been using the sportime spot markers for years. If you need something that will survive daily abuse, it may be worth the investment.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 12:02 am
Non-slip shelf liner is a definite maybe... I would like to be able to write on it but if the liner is cheap enough I can just make myself a full alphabet set with permanent markers or just cut out ABC shapes and that could keep me busy a while.

I knew you ladies could do it Smile Keep brainstorming!

smss

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 12:06 am
seeker wrote:
Non-slip shelf liner is a definite maybe... I would like to be able to write on it but if the liner is cheap enough I can just make myself a full alphabet set with permanent markers or just cut out ABC shapes and that could keep me busy a while.

I knew you ladies could do it Smile Keep brainstorming!

I don't know if you have 99 Cent stores where you live, but if you do, they sell it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains