Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Manual defrost vs. automatic defrost freezer

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 5:32 pm
I will be purchasing a new upright freezer for my new home. I plan to get one of the largest ones available (in the 20-22 cu. ft. range). I have been told that Frigidaire is the best brand to get.

Most of the models available are automatic defrost. There is though a manual defrost one available. I am under the impression that manual defrost is better for food to keep longer and to prevent freezer burn. Obviously, I am aware of the need to defrost it periodically.

I had a manual defrost freezer for close to 40 years and was very happy with it.

Are there any other considerations that I should be aware of?

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 5:44 pm
When the store I purchased mine made a mistake and sent me a self defrost instead of a manual, I was furious. (This was after me triple checking that she sends me the exact model my mom had for many years.. ) she wouldn't change it though so I had to get used to it... after 7 years so far I haven't regret it.😃 I wrap the food very well, and keep baking sits on every other shelf and noone knows my food comes from the freezer.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 5:47 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
When the store I purchased mine made a mistake and sent me a self defrost instead of a manual, I was furious. (This was after me triple checking that she sends me the exact model my mom had for many years.. ) she wouldn't change it though so I had to get used to it... after 7 years so far I haven't regret it.😃 I wrap the food very well, and keep baking sits on every other shelf and noone knows my food comes from the freezer.

What do you mean by "keep baking sits"?

I'm glad to hear you are happy, but that makes it harder to decide :-) !

SS6099

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 6:28 pm
Personally, I like the automatic. I had both ways and prefer the auto. Love my freezer Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 9:00 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
What do you mean by "keep baking sits"?

I'm glad to hear you are happy, but that makes it harder to decide :-) !

Open boxes of baking soda to keep things fresh Smile

I too am BH very happy with my Fridgidaire automatic defrost freezer. I hear that these days the automatics are so good that the manuals are no longer necessary.

passaicmom

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 8:47 pm
When I did my research I read that a manual defrost is better because it hold the temperature evenly but a frost free freezer raises the temperature to melt the frost. The food will also experience a slight defrost throughout the cycle in a frost free freeze.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:54 pm
I got a manual defrost freezer because the salesman convinced me the food would keep better.
Well 10 years later I am so unhappy with it. Not only is it a pain in the neck to defrost but the food gets freezer burnt at exactly the same rate as my other freezer.
So its not better for the food. And it's really irritating to chop away at the snow to make room for more food.

srbmom

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 10:31 pm
Quote:
Well 10 years later I am so unhappy with it. Not only is it a pain in the neck to defrost but the food gets freezer burnt at exactly the same rate as my other freezer.

Exact same for me! Next time I would definitely go with the auto defrost

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 10:36 pm
I've always had manual defrosting freezers. I managed them a bit differently when the family was large. My preference was always multiple small chest freezers. But that's what's worked for me in my space. To this day I still keep a small chest freezer that is manually defrosted. I defrost it 2x a year.

mommyhood

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 10:39 pm
I replaced my manual defrost freezer with a frost free a while ago and I will never go back. I haven't noticed any difference in the taste of my food or how long it stays fresh in the freezer and I hated having to defrost the freezer.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:33 am
Thank you everyone. I have ordered the automatic defrost model. I did though order the most basic one with manual controls rather than digital or electronic ones as I believe that the simpler the better in that department.

workaholicmama

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:11 pm
May you fill it up with nutritious food for simchas and yom tov!!!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:33 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
May you fill it up with nutritious food for simchas and yom tov!!!

Amen! Now we've just got to get the house finished (new construction) that the freezer will go in!

abs

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 2:57 pm
[quote="amother"] And it's really irritating to chop away at the snow to make room for more food.[/quotes]
I recently learned a great way to defrost a manual defrost freezer:
Set up a fan in front of your emptied freezer with the door wide open. Come back an hour or so later to wipe it out! No chopping or chipping necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen