Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos Meals

twogees

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:15 am
I have been struggling to put together a shabbos menu. Would anyone like to share their basic shabbos menu? We generally dont eat fancy as we are on a budget...

juggling

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:18 am
Friday night:
Challah
Chicken soup
Chicken bottoms in spices or simple sauce
Rice or potatoes
Green beans
Cake

Shabbat day:
Chicken cutlets, grilled or breaded and baked
Salad
Sometimes cholent
Sometimes deli

That's with no company. With company I'll add more salads and side dishes.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:32 am
How much time do you have to prepare it, how picky are your eaters, and what foods are cheap near you?

In my case- I'm in Israel, have Thursday evening and all day Friday to prepare (dh helps, or we take turns cooking and watching the baby). We're vegetarian at home and dh doesn't care for most fish.

We have challah with dips and a hearty soup Friday night. Lasagna soup is a particular favorite here.

Lunch is the same challah and dips, plus salad (or a cooked vegetable, usually roasted), a main dish (lasagna, baked ziti, rarely salmon, chulent in winter), and possibly potatoes if the main isn't starchy.

Cake or cookies for dessert, though we've also done pies or apple crumble at various points since we've been married.

If you have the time, and you live where it's financially advisable, make your own challah. There are fancy things you can do with vegetables so they seem more Shabbosdik- green beans with toasted slivered almonds (I'm still working on getting the seasoning right), mixed roasted vegetables (go for colorful), fancy salad. Anything will feel more Shabbosdik if it's served nicely.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:46 am
fri night: soup, meatballs, rice, greenbeans, cake
day: cholent, apple kugel, veggie kugel, grilled veggies
shalosh: egg salad, fresh salad, fruit

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:51 am
When we don't have company our meals are as simple as can be, though still delicious....

Friday night is challah, fish (I alternate between tuna salad, gefilte fish, baked salmon or sole - and keep it to a tiny portion just for the mitzvah), chicken soup (just with the veggies that cooked with it - no lokshen, no kneidlach), roast chicken with a simple veggie (usually string beans, broccoli or cauliflower).

Shabbos Day is challah, another tiny portion of fish and then chollent with a nice garden salad.

Desserts are fruit plus one home-baked treat, maybe an apple pie or chocolate chip cookies.

lfab

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:04 pm
Friday night: this is what we have weekly
challah
gefillte fish,
soup (in the winter),
chicken (varies but usually baked breaded chicken cutlets)
potatoe kugel

sides vary from week to week but I try to make 1 veggie side and 1 starch side-items in my usual rotation include:
green beans
baked corn or corn salad
cabbage salad
root veggies
pasta salad
orzo
barley pilaf
red potatoes
carrots
apple kugel
carrot kugel
deli roll
noodle kugel
onion kugel
pastrami tarts

Shabbos day:
gefillte fish
cholent
leftover chicken and sides from friday night

I'm actually looking for more easy veggie sides. If anyone has any ideas please share.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:18 pm
Fri Night-

Challah.
I like to make salads like beets, sweet potato, eggplant. Whatever veggie is in season/on sale. Sometimes hummus or olive dip.
Fish- usually gefilte but occasionally salmon
Soup-I like to alternate between chicken and veggie options. I use chicken bones and lots of veg and cook in the crockpot. I usually make 3 soups at a time.
Main- Chicken and Veg or Groundmeat dish like meatballs, meatloaf, moussaka. A few times a year I will make a roast or something like pepper steak if its a special shabbos like chanukah, rosh chodesh, a birthday. I recently gave up on a starch since no one was eating it.

Lunch:

Challah
Fish
Salad/dip
Cholent or another crockpot meat dish such as a hearty soup or yapchick.

chaya35

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:26 pm
Am I the only one that does a real traditional meal. Im glad I was brought up this way and don't have to think of a menu each week. Yom Tov is hard enough.

Friday Night:
Challah
Fish - gefilte and salmon
Chicken soup, lukshin & sometimes kneidlach
Chicken & potato kugel
Baked apple
Sometimes cherry pie or apple cake

Shabbos Day:
Challah
Fish - gefilte and salmon
eggs & onions
Chulent

dessert on special occassions
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note