Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Completely overwhelmed every time I make Shabbos!
Previous  1  2  3  4

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 8:54 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I find it interesting many posters suggested bringing in shabbat early. How practical is it, especially in winter (where we live, we light as early as 3:30pm) especially if you/your DH are working Fridays? As of now, I leave the office 1.5hrs before candlelighting, my usual commute is just under 1hr so I get back home just 30-45min to spare.

So obviously, EVERYTHING except for fresh salad is made by Thursday night. Now, we don't have those huge American style freezers, so bulk cooking and freezing are out of question. (Also for those of you who freeze chicken soup, what do you do with veggies? My family loves veggies cooked in the chicken soup but they go soggy/texture change once frozen.) .

As I said upthread, some people don't mind the veggies. Or you can add new veggies in the defrosting reheating - thin slices of carrot, celery, etc. so they'll pick up some flavor.
And I'm really impressed with your system!

happytohelp

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 10:46 am
I also had that issue- what helped me tons is to thursday night:
-cut up all the vegies for soup and put them in in a pot with water and stick it in the fridge. -peel and cut potatoes for kugel and put in fridge (in water),
-same for chicken stirfry, etc.
this way on friday I just add the chicken, and just blend potato kugel, etc.
but all the things that take time is done and I didnt have to wait for it all to cook.
it really does help.
also baking takes more time so that I try to do thursday evening
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note