Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby's belly button sticking out

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:09 pm
Does any one have that? From a new born stage my baby's belly button never went down. The doctors said that it happens to people and eventually it should go down by itself but my dd is seven months and it's not looking any better. Just wondering if anyone experienced this?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:12 pm
If it's totally healed, dry new skin it's not a problem. Some people just have "outie" belly buttons.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:14 pm
It's not. It's very big

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:17 pm
It's not healed? Still reddish and raw looking with leaking mucus?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:22 pm
Sounds like umbilical hernia

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:23 pm
It could be a small hernia. One of my kids had that, we kept an eye on it and it resolved itself. But do keep tabs on it, it could require some correction.

nywife

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:49 pm
Could be an umbilical hernia. Its fairly common, I actually had one as a child. Take him to his ped to see what your next step should be.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
It could be a small hernia. One of my kids had that, we kept an eye on it and it resolved itself. But do keep tabs on it, it could require some correction.

What age did it heal by itself? What am I supposed to look out for?

blushy

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 10:01 pm
I had this with two of my kids, but they both resolved pretty quickly, by about four months. The doctor I saw for my first child said it can take up to five years to correct itself. The doctor I saw for the second (six months ago,) one said if it grows larger, or doesn't go down after a while, there is a procedure that can be done to correct it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
What age did it heal by itself? What am I supposed to look out for?

It resolved by about 2. But you want to make sure it's not changing significantly (bigger, color) or bothering the kid. Definitely make the pediatrician aware to help you keep tabs on it.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 10:11 pm
I had a umbelical hernia/outie as a child and it resolved itself by the time I was 5. tho I still had a small outie or flatie as I like to call it (my belly button didnt ever go in and it still pops as soon as I get pregnant basically)

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 10:29 pm
The doctors are aware. It's just interesting how they all have different opinions. One doctor said if it doesn't go down when my dd is 9-12 months she should have the procedure and another one said wait till she's three. So I don't know. Also how would I know if it's bothering her. She has been acting up but how would I know if it's because of that

tee312

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:37 pm
My 5 month old had an umbilical hernia. The doctor said it could take up to 3 years to go away but b"h he is 5 months old now and its practically gone.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 5:09 am
In Europe I hardly see them, but they're all over Israel

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 5:38 am
My sister had one. They said it usually goes down by age 2, if not then by age 5.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics