Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Dh is upset when I cook chicken...
Previous  1  2  3  4

CatLady

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 12:28 pm
I don't know how anyone is too refined to say "chicken breast" but has no problem with using the term "pissed". Unless he goes from Bruce Banner to The Hulk, there's probably a better word to use. JMHO.

Having said that, DH might want to start preparing meals that he likes, and make cooking dinner a shared responsibility.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 12:57 pm
CatLady wrote:
I don't know how anyone is too refined to say "chicken breast" but has no problem with using the term "pissed".

No kidding. Reminds me of the post by a woman criticizing the tznius level of her neighbors, who talked about their "shirts so tight she can see their 'boobs' through them."

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 1:23 pm
We're a family of 4, although one is a baby who doesn't yet have major food preferences. There are some things all of us eat, which makes life simple. If 2/3 people don't like something then it's not worth my while to make it. For example, DH and I don't like broccoli so I never make it. DD happily eats it at other people's homes. I love asparagus, but neither DH nor DD will touch it. I only make it when I'm having company as a special treat to myself.

DH categorically refuses to eat chicken or anything else that has bones because it grosses him out. I happen to love bone-in chicken thighs, but I rarely make that because it's not worth my while. I make a lot of chicken cutlets, which are quite easy to clean and very versatile, so it's not a big deal. Once in a while a I make thighs for myself, legs for DD and throw in some cutlets for DH.

Neither DH nor DD will eat salmon, which is a pity because I love it. So I enjoy eating it outside the house but make less "fishy" fish at home. It's all about comprise.

Lately DD has gotten pickier and refuses to eat some of the meals I make because she doesn't like them anymore. I refuse to make 2 meals, so she can have leftovers from another night or make herself a sandwich or eat a yogurt.

OP, your DH not liking chicken is aggravating but not worth fighting about. Make chicken for you and the kids, but have a meat option available for him. I don't mean to make fresh meat every time. Make something that he likes in bulk and freeze it in individual portions for him. Or make extra of something earlier in the week and serve him leftovers when the rest of you are eating chicken. There are ways of going about it without treating him like a spoiled child.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 1:29 pm
Why is it totally fine to expect a young kid to make a sandwich if they don't like dinner, but an adult can't possibly do the same? I personally don't think it's necessary or healthy to always have a red meat option for the dh, but supplies for sandwiches is always good to have.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
Why is it totally fine to expect a young kid to make a sandwich if they don't like dinner, but an adult can't possibly do the same? I personally don't think it's necessary or healthy to always have a red meat option for the dh, but supplies for sandwiches is always good to have.

Because children go through phases and can change their preferences from one day to the next. Adults usually already know what they like or dislike and it's unlikely to change.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 2:15 pm
I haven't ready every post here, but I've read most of them. OP, can you have planned leftovers for your DH for when you serve chicken to the rest of the family? I mean, make a meal he likes a day or 2 before with extra for him to eat on chicken night. I'm sympathetic as both DH & I are quite picky, but I think that is a reasonable alternative. More than a sandwich, he doesn't have to prepare it and it is something he likes (unless he has a problem with leftovers).

By the, way I too find your title offensive -- where I come from that is not considered a word used in polite conversation.

etky

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 11:21 am
Amarante wrote:
This is the culinary equivalent of O'Henry's famous short story - The Gift of the Magis Very Happy

So funny, DD is reading the story in English class now and we were discussing it over Shabbat. Naturally, it was the very first thing that popped into my head too when I saw that post. I'm going to tell her about it as another example of comic irony.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 1:41 pm
CatLady wrote:
I don't know how anyone is too refined to say "chicken breast" but has no problem with using the term "pissed". Unless he goes from Bruce Banner to The Hulk, there's probably a better word to use. JMHO.

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette