Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Any Vegan restaurants w Hechsher in New York city?
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 9:26 am
Has to have Hechsher at least like OU.

Tia.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 9:37 am
I don't know anything about these personally, but you can check them out:

http://yeahthatskosher.com/201.....sher/

http://yeahthatskosher.com/201.....-nyc/

LEsheva

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 9:40 am
My Most Favorite in the UWS is dairy, but has a lot of vegan options... My mother in law and sisters in law are all vegan and they love it there

Mevater

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:00 am
LEsheva wrote:
My Most Favorite in the UWS is dairy, but has a lot of vegan options... My mother in law and sisters in law are all vegan and they love it there

Thanks but I'm looking for a real vegan experience for a relative who wants that.

Tzippora

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:12 am
On the UWS alone, there is Blossom (both sit down and take out, and there's another in the W Village), Peacefood and Candle Cafe (recommended, along with Blossom). On the LES there is Caravan of Dreams, Buddha Bodai, among others. Start here, most of these are legit: http://www.yelp.com/search?fin.....2C+NY

Edit - don't think these have OU certification

Last edited by Tzippora on Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

MamaBear

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:16 am
Tzippora wrote:
On the UWS alone, there is Blossom (both sit down and take out, and there's another in the W Village), Peacefood and Candle Cafe (recommended, along with Blossom). On the LES there is Caravan of Dreams, Buddha Bodai, among others. Start here, most of these are legit: http://www.yelp.com/search?fin.....2C+NY

I believe most of those are open on shabbos and have questionable hashgacha.

Tzippora

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:23 am
MamaBear wrote:
I believe most of those are open on shabbos and have questionable hashgacha.

Thanks for reminding me why I never post on here. We cross posted but I realize the ask was for OU-style hechshers, and edited my post. I don't know of any OU-style hashgachas that certify vegan restaurants.

I would leave it at that before we get into a debate on which hashgachas people like or dislike and how plenty of frum people eat at all of these restaurants.

Maya

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:40 am
There are some vegetarian Indian restaurants with hechshers, but I haven't come across a vegan one.

Mevater

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:45 am
Im not criticizing those who are ok with whatever Hechsher theyre ok with, based on their Rabbis, but may I go off on a tangent and ask how much more an OU type Hechsher costs, that would appeal to even MORE of the frum population?

syrima

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:51 am
Actually it costs a LOT more. Because they require a mashgiach temidi and someone to check all the lettuce. Just FYI.

Sadie

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:52 am
I don't have information on the hechshers but I've eaten at Blossom, the v-spot in park slope, and a great Indian in place called Tiffin Wallah. I loved the food at all three.

animeme

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:52 am
Just speculating that it may not just be the cost. OU requires very specific things for vegetables that not everyone holds are necessary, which could be challenging in vegan restaurants.

I remember hearing a talk from a chef at Les Marais years ago. He said that they don't use asparagus spears because after what the hashgachah requires them to do to clean them, it's not worth it anymore.

doctorima

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:58 am
I don't know how much more the OU charges (which I believe is also a factor in their decision), but the main issue is that the OU is much stricter and won't let them do many things that other, less reputable hechsherim will tolerate. Being open on Shabbos is a big one, but also requirements for a mashgiach temidi and other things that just aren't worth it to these places based on their business models and primary target clienteles.

r1

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:01 am
Check out soomsoom in midtown

http://mysoomsoom.com/phone/index.html

mille

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:06 am
Mevater wrote:
Im not criticizing those who are ok with whatever Hechsher theyre ok with, based on their Rabbis, but may I go off on a tangent and ask how much more an OU type Hechsher costs, that would appeal to even MORE of the frum population?

Significantly more. A friend was looking to open a restaurant and the OU quoted $18,000/year for their hechsher plus the requirement to pay a mashgiach from the OU an hourly rate (the hourly rate was not the issue and was in line with what other hashgachot in the area require a mashgiach to be paid - but it was on top of the $18k just for the OU logo on the door).

I don't think it has much to do with strictness or rules or whatever - I've encountered different hashgachas that are all more or less the same in terms of requirements and such, but the OU has a significantly higher price than other equivalent hechsherim. (e.g. kof-k, star-k, local vaads etc) Note I'm talking about shomer shabbat restaurants here...

For restaurants that are open on shabbat because they are not owned by Jews, well - losing all of the business from Friday night and Saturday is a huge deal. It probably won't make up for the "increase" in traffic due to a "better" hechsher, especially because so many orthodox people patronize these restaurants even with the "lower" hechsher (like Buddha Bodai and all of the vegetarian Indian places). The "lower" hechsher is good enough for plenty, no reason to get the OU in this case.

nicole81

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:52 am
I've looked into this a lot, and afaik, there are no truly vegan restaurants with OU-type or widely,accepted-across-most-spectrum hechshers in NY.

There is a restaurant in flatbush, Mint, that was exclusively vegan when they opened. I'm guessing that the demand for vegan food within the frum population couldn't support their overhead, because they had to switch to including dairy options. That said, they do have all the items from their original menu and therefore a lot of really great vegan dishes.

If you ever go there, do try the seitan buffalo wings with pistachio dipping sauce; it's awesome!

oliveoil

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:07 pm
There's Wendy's Plate in Brooklyn which is either vegan or vegetarian. Not sure. It's been years since I went there, but their stuff is GOOD.

nicole81

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:10 pm
oliveoil wrote:
There's Wendy's Plate in Brooklyn which is either vegan or vegetarian. Not sure. It's been years since I went there, but their stuff is GOOD.

They are neither. Like Mint, they originally opened as vegan but the demand couldn't support them so they switched to adding dairy and fish. I agree, they're another good option as they've retained a lot of the vegan items on the menu, but again they're not exclusively vegan if that's what OP is looking for. BTW, they're now called Alice's Restaurant.

Mevater

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 2:41 pm
How is the food at Mint?

nicole81

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 2:58 pm
Mevater wrote:
How is the food at Mint?

I love it. I don't live anywhere near there but I now send my husband once a week to pick me up some stuff and I live off of it for a few days.

I've only had the buffalo wings (I get them every time), a quinoa salad, and the soba bowl though. I've heard really good things about their veggie burgers but I haven't tried them personally. When I look through the vegan items on their menu, I'm generally impressed with the ingredients and they sound good and wholesome. I don't order any of the dairy or fish from them because you can get that anywhere, and I'd like to believe since they intended to be vegan from the get go, that they do it better than other places that happen to have a few random vegan items on their menu.

Oh, they also have a good selection of smoothies and they use almond milk as opposed to soy, which I really like.

They just opened up in August I believe, so there probably aren't too many people here who have tried them yet, but if you're on facebook, you can research them on the great kosher restaurants foodies group.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries