Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Tzitzit-wool allergy

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 4:44 pm
My non-religion sister said that her son, who is 8 and goes to a community school where some kids wear tzitzit, has recently expressed interest and also wearing them.

My sisters allergic to wool, and believes her children are as well. She will not allow anything in her house that has any wool. (Not even open to discussion)

I know the garment doesn't need to be wool, but what about tzitzit strings? From what I've always heard, they need to be wool. What do people who are allergic to wool do?

Mishmish

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 5:34 pm
Unless techelet are involved, I'm pretty sure they can be made of whatever the garment is and do not have to be wool.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 5:35 pm
The holy vilna Gain wore cotton

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 4:32 am
Many people and most kids wear cotton.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 4:53 am
I think the allergy involved contact with skin? Not that you can't breathe around it, correct? So you would just wear a t-shirt between yourself and the tzitzit, which I think most people do anyhow. If strings are worn out, again no problem.

Mishmish

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 7:26 am
People can react differently. I know people who will get asthma symptoms from contact like that, even if there's a layer between most of the skin and the wool. It can be a big deal for some people. Even 'just' skin reactions can be super uncomfortable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics