Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
The "Roberg method"
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 9:48 am
She does not call her self a therepist and because she is not licenced she can not takè insurance hence her fee. She had a child of her own that needed therepy and none of the traditonal therapys did much .she started to research ..she traveled trying to find something that would help. In south america she found a program based on the theory that from utero and on a child is constantly 'wiring' them selves and creating new pathways in the brain . Reaching milestones at the correct time also plays a role here (but not always will it set the child back if they did not reach the milestone at the correct time) the program has specific exersises to strengthen the core muscles which a baby usualy will do naturaly on its own that for some reason they did not reach on their own. She took the program to the Skulenner Rebbe who is very knowledgeable in the medical world who gave her his bracha to try it for her child ...when she brought the results of the program to the Rebbe he gave her a bracha to have success in helping others through the program . There is no hocus pocus here it is just a combonation of ot and yoga tecniques to build up the strenght in the child. She gives a book to parents to read before she will start the program with you

kiryat sefer

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 11:02 am
She is supposed to be amazing

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 11:17 am
I have no idea if what she does is helpful or unhelpful to children. My guess is that she helps some children, does not help others ( but takes their money), And possibly harms others ( while also talking their money). This is because she lacks the foundational training in anatomy, physiology, biology, neurophysiology, neuroanatomy, practice framework, continuing education, as well as supervision, and accountability that a trained professional has. She also lacks malpractice insurance and operates outside the boundaries of a profession, so nowhere to report if she is harming clients or being otherwise unethical. If she was really interested Doing right by her clients, she would get the necessary training by going to school for PT/OT and then incorporating these techniques when/ if they are appropriate based on her professional training. If someone only has training in one methodology without additional foundational training, they have no way to determine the appropriateness of the therapy for this client and/ or other methodologies that are better for the client or that may cause harm.
For all those that say she is not doing therapy, you are wrong. Prescribing exercises to heal deficiencies is by definition therapy. She is practicing illegally without a license.

Queen6

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 2:17 pm
Speaking of operating without a degree.... Do you know how many evaluators there are in Lakewood with no degree? They just have a "chush" too? They use a standardized test so "what's the big deal?" If that's not absurd I don't know what is.....
Oilam Goilam

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 9:02 pm
@Queen 6,please elaborate. Who in Lakewood evaluates without a degree? Are you talking about psychological or educational evals? I live in Lakewood and am licensed in my profession but have no idea what you are referring to.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
@Queen 6,please elaborate. Who in Lakewood evaluates without a degree? Are you talking about psychological or educational evals? I live in Lakewood and am licensed in my profession but have no idea what you are referring to.

I dont know about Lakewood, but I encountered this in Brooklyn....
I am licensed in my field as an SLP. I was given an evaluation done in Brooklyn by someone with some sort of educational degree. They administered their own "unstandardized" tests and charged the parent over 1000$ dollars. They wrote a 13 page report that was double spaced and sounded like a 10th grader wrote it. A whole page was dedicated to suggestions for the child's SLP!!. I am qualified to do my own standardized testing thank you. I feel so bad for the many parents who are paying these people...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 12:43 pm
I know some circles love these no license therapies, so... yeah... just pointing out that weak mind weak body is actually contrary to several Torah stories

sourstix

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:15 pm
why is this such a bigh discussion. if you dont wanto use dont. noone is forcing you. she doesnt claim to be licensed. I knew it before I went to her. but it was my choice. end.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:42 pm
People desperate for solutions, will seek out practitioners and do not really care about licensing or training. This is how quackery is supported and becomes sustainable. There comes a time when empirical data, rigorous standards and professional oversight matter little, anecdotal outcomes become almost a prime directive.

Aside from the obvious that many have pointed out few mention HIPPA and a patients right to privacy. HIPPA is unenforceable when using an unlicensed and untrained practitioner.

Another issue that concerns me is whether the child's/person's primary medical providers are informed of unorthodox and unlicensed therapies. How does this lack of information impact the treatment a patient receives from a physician?

I've no dog in this fight but since the conversation has drifted, I wanted to add my two cents.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
Has any one taken their child to mrs/rabbi roberg in lakewood or any one that they trained in for therapy ...have you seen a improvement in your child

I have. Feel free to pm me.

ETA - My child has some sensory and attention-type issues. She did not cooperate with the Roberg program - we could barely get her to cooperate with the trainee, forget about following up at home. If your child is not going to do it, don't waste your money.

My child's school was very into this program for some reason, so I tried it. It did not do what she needed. Maybe others who are more cooperative might be helped.

BTW I found that alot of the exercises are similar to yoga. And some are like gymnastics.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 2:22 pm
sourstix wrote:
why is this such a bigh discussion. if you dont wanto use dont. noone is forcing you. she doesnt claim to be licensed. I knew it before I went to her. but it was my choice. end.

I can understand a parent doing extensive research and trying an out-of-the-box therapeutic method based on compelling information. In this case, I'd love to know what that compelling information is. But the real problem is this:

Chayalle wrote:
My child's school was very into this program for some reason

Pressure and coercion - or even suggestion - by school staff to submit children to untested, unproven, unlicensed and expensive therapies does not smell good to me and should not smell good to you, regardless of whether or not you've had a positive personal experience with said therapy.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 2:30 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Pressure and coercion - or even suggestion - by school staff to submit children to untested, unproven, unlicensed and expensive therapies does not smell good to me and should not smell good to you, regardless of whether or not you've had a positive personal experience with said therapy.

I don't blame the school, really, because I followed up with my own research and was warned. I asked a friend of mine who is a LCSW and works in local schools, and she advised me to go to an OT. I asked another friend of mine who told me Ziva Kriger a"h wasn't into it (she was too ill at the time for me to ask her myself) and I trusted her judgement very much in many matters.

At the end of the day I just tried it for a bit to see if it could help, because the school was so into it...I was not coerced in any way. Having tried it, I'm on the fence because my child spent each session bouncing around the room, having little interest in the exercises even when bribed.....forget about follow up at home. Maybe it would help a child who would cooperate with the program. Mine did not.

I also tried gymnastics since some kids are helped by it...my DD was actually good at it but bored to tears (unlike her older sisters who LOVED gymnastics). She gave me a hard time going and I ended up switching her to a baking group in the same program just to get my $$ worth.

Every child is different but I will say, my child has outgrown alot of her issues. The ones she hasn't are now being worked on with an OT. Perhaps that's the route I should've taken in the first place....patience followed by OT....

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 3:03 pm
Chayelle, your experience exactly illustrates the reason why one should not used unlicensed practitioners.... They typically have one and only one methodology and are unable to reach children any other way. A good skilled OT would have many tools to engage and draw in a child like your daughter, and then attempt to grade the program appropriately to your daughters level of interest, ability, or the caregivers ability to gain compliance. An unlicensed non professional lacks all of those skills/ abilities due to lack of foundational background. Additionally, a skilled professional can more accurately predict the likelihood of a child's participation and potential for benefit based on all of her many factors including her level of compliance etc. How ethical is it that these fake practitioners are taking so many parents money with the promise/ guarantee of helping them without any validity to the appropriateness of the intervention or compatibility with the child?
Bottom line, it is hit or miss. Some get helped, but they may have been helped by any other methodology or exercise/sensory program. Some may get harmed (this includes wasting parents time and money, burning children out, forcing them into intervention that may not help or may be above their capabilities and frustrate them, etc.). And for some, it may have no effect, but no harm done except a huge hole in the parents pocket. Chas al mamonam shel yisroel.
I could go on and on, but bottom line is, there is no justification for what these people are doing.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
Chayelle, your experience exactly illustrates the reason why one should not used unlicensed practitioners.... They typically have one and only one methodology and are unable to reach children any other way. A good skilled OT would have many tools to engage and draw in a child like your daughter, and then attempt to grade the program appropriately to your daughters level of interest, ability, or the caregivers ability to gain compliance. An unlicensed non professional lacks all of those skills/ abilities due to lack of foundational background. Additionally, a skilled professional can more accurately predict the likelihood of a child's participation and potential for benefit based on all of her many factors including her level of compliance etc. How ethical is it that these fake practitioners are taking so many parents money with the promise/ guarantee of helping them without any validity to the appropriateness of the intervention or compatibility with the child?
Bottom line, it is hit or miss. Some get helped, but they may have been helped by any other methodology or exercise/sensory program. Some may get harmed (this includes wasting parents time and money, burning children out, forcing them into intervention that may not help or may be above their capabilities and frustrate them, etc.). And for some, it may have no effect, but no harm done except a huge hole in the parents pocket. Chas al mamonam shel yisroel.
I could go on and on, but bottom line is, there is no justification for what these people are doing.

Yes I think you are right. I felt like it was my job to get her to cooperate - promised her a prize, etc...the trainee was nice and also tried, but at the end of the day she didn't have the skills to get DD interested, and the program, which they told me would be tailored to my DD's needs, were not tailored to her at all.....they did not take her personality and attention abilities into account.

I also don't buy into anyone being able to assess my child in two minutes. I never felt very hopeful about the program really, and it did not meet any expectations promised. I dropped out when I realized this.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 3:18 pm
Chayelle, I am impressed with your astuteness and ability to change gears to meet your childs needs. So many parents lack the critical thinking skills you display and buy into the hype and false promises.
Just curious, what do they charge?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
Chayelle, I am impressed with your astuteness and ability to change gears to meet your childs needs. So many parents lack the critical thinking skills you display and buy into the hype and false promises.
Just curious, what do they charge?

This was about two years ago. IIRC it was $250 for the initial evaluation with Mrs. Roberg and $50 a session with the trainee.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 4:43 pm
What is the name of the book?

Queen6

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 5:57 pm
Avigail Roberg has helped many people and the "evaluators" without degrees maybe also did but there is a reason we go to college. There is what to be learned. An evaluation is a very serious process. Choosing someone won't out a degree means you are not going to someone with a degree so whatever decision you are making for your child is not an educated one.
If you're doing Roberg you are not doing OT or anything else. So you are making a choice.
Some moms can go through these avenues since they themselves are bright, thought out, educated, understanding...... And they can look out to make sure things are staying on the right track and progressing. But not every mom is like that.
Most moms have no idea what they're talking about and they just get strung along. Schools throw things at you without so much research and thought. Before these moms turn around they just burned fortunes of money and time with no results.
Yes it would be nice if everyone was very educated and intuitive but not everyone is and it's not their job.
This it's the problem with these programs. Not everyone knows not to choose them.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 6:31 pm
Queen6 wrote:
Avigail Roberg has helped many people and the "evaluators" without degrees maybe also did but there is a reason we go to college. There is what to be learned. An evaluation is a very serious process. Choosing someone won't out a degree means you are not going to someone with a degree so whatever decision you are making for your child is not an educated one.
If you're doing Roberg you are not doing OT or anything else. So you are making a choice.
Some moms can go through these avenues since they themselves are bright, thought out, educated, understanding...... And they can look out to make sure things are staying on the right track and progressing. But not every mom is like that.
Most moms have no idea what they're talking about and they just get strung along. Schools throw things at you without so much research and thought. Before these moms turn around they just burned fortunes of money and time with no results.
Yes it would be nice if everyone was very educated and intuitive but not everyone is and it's not their job.
This it's the problem with these programs. Not everyone knows not to choose them.

Well said, Queen 6

sourstix

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 6:46 pm
why does anyone care what avigail roberg does? noone is saying that we go bec we are forced. so all you pp that are educated and have a degree I thoroughly have respect for you but, can you let live? why if you are that much better and more educated do you care what others do unless they came and asked you for your opinion. op asked if anyone was helped thats all. she didnt ask ots for their opinion or she would say so.
seriously I disagree with working in such a fashiion but why knock someone you never met and have no clue what shes doing. my mil is a highly qualified OT and she highly recommended I try her. I am not saying I would go to her first step. but its the same thing as pp going to chiropracters for things they have no clue about. but pp believe in them
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)