Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What's my kid supposed to look and act like on meds?

busymother

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 11:29 pm
My dd12 has been on the same dose for about a year and a half (10 mg focalin). I liked her on that dose, it didn't turn her into a zombie and she wasn't out of control. At our last dr appointment the dr evaluated feedback from 6 teachers and said we need to up her dose to 15 or 20. I reluctantly allowed it and now I feel like she's a walking zombie. Do I leave it to placate the school (I'll bet she's a great student now!) or should I put her back down to 10? I honestly don't know if there's a happy medium! She could probably use 12 mg. how does a happy medium kid look anyway? I hate this medication thing!

busymother

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 11:31 pm
Do you think her body will adjust to it?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 11:34 pm
Is there any way she can take half a pill to get the 12 mg dosing you want? Stand up for her and advocate for this correct dosing with the doctor. Be adamant about it. Be firm. Put your foot down. Make him/her come up with a way to make it work. You're doing the right thing and you're the only one who can stand up for your daughter.

You go girl!

busymother

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 11:44 pm
Thanks for that! I just emailed the dr, I hope she can help. I wish there was a video of what "normal" looks like so I know what we are aiming for😜

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 11:54 pm
you know her best & are her best advocate

I would also just cut the pill in half by myself - then you don't have to fight anybody on it ... see how it works for her ~ nobody should have to feel like a zombie

once you are satisfied with the results you can notify doctor

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 12:49 am
You know what normal is for your child. Zombie is definitely not what you're aiming for. The school should not be aiming for that either. When I had that result with a student I called the parents and told them, they were thankful for the feedback (kids spend so many hours in school the parents barely even get to see them on meds!), made the necessary adjustments, and a day later I had my regular student back again. Both focused and full of personality. You say you were happy on the previous dose for a while - that's what your happy medium looks like. Kid is bigger now, possibly going through puberty which also messes with everything, so maybe needs a different med or dose to get back to the happy medium, but don't say you don't know what it looks like - you've been there. Go with your gut. And she's 12 - talk to her too. She is old enough to discuss how SHE feels. And she deserves to feel good.

busymother

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 12:31 pm
So the dr is on vacation for 2 weeks now but the nurse said I can't spill some out since its extended release. I left messages for some teachers to call me with feedback. she has aspergers and doesn't always know how she feels. Usually just shrugs and says 'I dunno'.

animeme

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 2:19 pm
Please don't cut the pill if it's extended release. Really weird things can happen.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 3:58 pm
My son takes 2 doses of focalin XR this way we extend the effects of the medication without having that totally heavy out of it ness

To clarify. He takes one dose in the am and one dose at school in the pm

But I also think it takes time for their bodies to adjust

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 4:07 pm
busymother wrote:
So the dr is on vacation for 2 weeks now but the nurse said I can't spill some out since its extended release. I left messages for some teachers to call me with feedback. she has aspergers and doesn't always know how she feels. Usually just shrugs and says 'I dunno'.

Do you have the right pill to go back to the 10mg dosing? If so, I would suggest going that route until you can connect to the doctor.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 4:41 pm
It's pretty unheard of to have to wait 2 weeks for a callback from a Dr. Prescribing psychiatric meds, no matter whether the Dr. Is on vacation or not. Insist on a callback from the Dr., which should happen within 24 hours. It is unheard of for a Dr. To be on vacation and not have a covering physician. If this is the case, find a new practitioner. Psychiatric meds are very sensitive, and you need to be able to find tune and make adjustments in a timely and immediate fashion.

abound

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 4:55 pm
ideally, your kid should be acting his "best self" How he acts without meds in his best times. Think about a time that this kid was amazing but was not on meds.

imasinger

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 6:36 pm
10 mg focalin XR is two 5 mg doses of regular, one released immediately, the other, later.

If the doc prescribed 15 mg, that actually is an increase of 2.5 mg per release.

I would suggest giving her the 10 until the doctor is back, then trying a quarter of a regular (not XR) tablet added to her morning dose during the weekend. You can add a second quarter tablet at lunchtime. That would be the equivalent of 12.5 on the XR, which doesn't exist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)