Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady works for six hours without eating or drinking

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 6:17 am
She is very religious and doesn't eat anything in my home. She insists that she will finish working and eat on her way home. I think she doesn't want to eat anything not prewrapped or homemade, but at the same time, will refuse anything I offer her , even if it's sealed. It's been this way many months; however, lately I'm uncomfortable with the situation. How efficient can she be without eating or even drinking anything for over six hours?!? I'd like to insist that she take a half hour paid lunch break and offer her a small sum to go buy herself something or the option of bringing her own food and eating it in my home. How can I broach the topic? Is it an acceptable demand? What's a reasonable sum to buy food? Is $5 enough, or should I offer $10? Please share your thoughts.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 6:29 am
The lady who cleans by me is the same way. It isn't religion. I can't figure it out. She is only hear 2 hours but works 6 hours straight between everyone.
She never wants food. When anyone makes a coffee we offer her one. I always offer her lunch or snack. sometimes she will take a water bottle.
I feel really bad but its been like this over 1 year and she doesn't seem to care.

My mother had a lady cleaning by her for years. She used to be there 2 full days a week she refused to eat anything, sometimes she would take a coffee toward the end. She said that eating slowed her down and made her sluggish and she had the most strength working straight. She was getting pretty elderly when she finally retired but she stuck to it all those years.

proudma

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 6:31 am
My lady is the same way. I offer her cooked food and prepacked food - nada! The most she has eaten in my home is a banana or orange. Makes ME feel uncomfortable, watching her work for 7 hours and not eating. Very unclear as to why. Maybe cultural? (She's Mexican)

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 6:35 am
Mine doesn't eat while working, either. I have had some success in putting a few home baked goodies in a ziplock to take home, however.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 7:15 am
Mine is definitely religious. She doesn't seem to wear pants, and seems very spiritual. I once offered her some chocolate chip cookies, but she didn't want. She asked me where she can purchase that brand, but when I offered her another sealed package, she took it gratefully. What I can't seem to understand is that when she first began working for me she would accept a slice of heated up frozen pizza, but she doesn't take it now.

So do all of you who responded think that I should just let it go?

Chloe

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 7:44 am
My cleaning lady doesn't eat either but she's extremely thin and I think she's just not hungry.
She does drink water and eat my potato kugel on Friday Very Happy .

Other than that she never eats. I just tell her that she should let me know whenever she wants to eat, I'll be glad to make her something.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 7:53 am
Sometimes I wonder if she thinks I want to poison her. Twisted Evil

el2cg

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 8:48 am
My cleaning lady refuses food too...she takes an apple or banana when she leaves (after 5 hours)

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 9:06 am
Maybe she has diet restraints?
My friend's cleaning lady would never eat at her house, and when I spoke to her in Spanish she explained that she is pre-diabetic and does not eat any sugar, carbs or flours (so no fruits, pizzas, etc.)

Blessing1

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 9:29 am
My mom has her cleaning lady for 17 years now, 8 hours a day.
She never ate or drank while working, she says if she eats & drinks she has to use the bathroom to much....

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 9:40 am
Mine takes yogurt and fruit to go when she leaves. Refuses to take a break. I also had luck with the potato kugel on Friday.

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 8:02 am
At one point mine would take potato kugel to go. At one point she told me her daughter loves the potato kugel so I started giving her 2 pieces so she can eat 1. My current lady decided she is is on a diet and won't eat anything but when I told her I'm on the street and can buy something she said 'orange juice'

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 8:26 am
So funny about the potato kugel. I once had someone help me who was so fascinated when I made it on Friday, that she asked for the recipe and instructions and started making it too!

I recently had someone here help me now, but just for a couple of hours. I think she was too shy to accept food but did drink the water that was laid out for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry