Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Could this help us get rid of pinworms?
1  2  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:56 pm
We live in Israel and my kids (and myself) keep getting pinworms. It is so horrible and disruptive and I feel like I have tried it all.

Does anyone know if we would get rid of them by leaving Israel? I'm not saying we would leave for this reason (alone)- but just curious if that would actually help!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:58 pm
Pinworm is not an israeli thing. It happens all over the world. Even to adults.
Go to the GP and get vermox. And give it to everyone in the family. Wash the bed sheets on hot hot. And someone told me that they make sure to open the ttrissim during the day as the worms dont like the light so dont come out as much when it is light.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:59 pm
I don't think so. It's universal. We live in New York and my kids catch it many times too, and we're not the only ones unfortunately.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:06 pm
The only advantage of Chu"l is many places you can get vermox at a pharmacy without a prescription, unlike Israel where you have to go to doc every time. Vermox works though. And I would not leave the holiest land in the world over something so small.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
The only advantage of Chu"l is many places you can get vermox at a pharmacy without a prescription, unlike Israel where you have to go to doc every time. Vermox works though. And I would not leave the holiest land in the world over something so small.

I hear you!
However we have tried vermox more than once...losing hope

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:12 pm
They don't like garlic and pumpkin seeds, גרעיני דלעת.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:15 pm
Iymnok wrote:
They don't like garlic and pumpkin seeds, גרעיני דלעת.

Thanks but tried that too!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:25 pm
Vermox is the only thing that works, and we've had lots of experience. I lived in Seattle for a long time, and my dogs, DD and I have all had several rounds of them. I dose the whole household, wash everything, and repeat the dose every 4 or 5 months. KiwiDrugs.com will ship it to you without a prescription. I buy a whole bunch and keep it on hand, so no one is miserable while waiting for treatment. I think it's as important to have on hand as Tylenol or bandaids.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:47 pm
Vermox is the only thing that works, and we've had lots of experience. I lived in Seattle for a long time, and my dogs, DD and I have all had several rounds of them. I dose the whole household, wash everything, and repeat the dose every 4 or 5 months. KiwiDrugs.com will ship it to you without a prescription. I buy a whole bunch and keep it on hand, so no one is miserable while waiting for treatment. I think it's as important to have on hand as Tylenol or bandaids.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:51 pm
Have you tried diatomaceous earth? Worked for us...

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
Have you tried diatomaceous earth? Worked for us...

I admit I did not try this because I heard conflicting information regarding its safety...

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 2:58 pm
I have not heard of anything negative if you buy foodgrade DE. Do not inhale. If you are super concerned, u can wear a mask. I put it in my kids drink in the morning.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:
I have not heard of anything negative if you buy foodgrade DE. Do not inhale. If you are super concerned, u can wear a mask. I put it in my kids drink in the morning.

I have heard of people having allergic reactions to silica.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:19 pm
I guess technically someone could be allergic to almost anything. You wouldnt know until you tried. You could start with 1/8 tsp

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:27 pm
Maybe I do need to try Diatomaceous Earth. Does anyone know if I could get it in Israel?

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I do need to try Diatomaceous Earth. Does anyone know if I could get it in Israel?

You can buy garden use DE here, but I'm not sure about food-grade.

I also want to suggest instilling good hygiene habits in your children. Encourage lots of hand washing (we sing abcs while scrubbing), change hand towels regularly, wash everyone's privates each morning in the shower and follow with clean underwear, make sure the kids wear underwear at all times and don't jump around on each other's/your beds. If you can kill them off with Vermox, this should keep it from being a reoccurring problem.

WastingTime

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 5:21 pm
I've come to the conclusion that being crazy about hygiene issues like not going on eachother's beds and changing the handtowels anytime anyone touched it just makes me crazy and doesn't help. I guess there's no way to prove it. Obviously, when I suspect things I don't let my little ones bathe together or use eachother's bathtowels. When there is a problem I wash everything ( I don't wash on very hot, but do put in dryer) of course.

I give vermox when there is clear signs of them. A few of my kids have never had issue but lately my 3 yr old is a problem (he has a sandbox in gan). I haven't given more than twice a yr for now so I'm happy about that.

Sorry for you, worms are really nasty and creepy eventhough there is no health issues with having them. The first time I saw one on myself I almost passed out...! Now I check myself almost daily!

Lice actually may be worse in Israel I don't know that worms is, but hey, we don't live here for the gashmiyus.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 9:21 am
Definitely try DE. It's not worse than prescription medication constantly, I would think!

And in America, you can't get Vermox any more AFAIK...so that's not an advantage. There are other medications though.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 9:37 am
I'm not the op but I would like to try the de. Don't know anything about it though. Can someone recommend a brand?

Miri1

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 11:42 am
mebendezole (vermox) has been discontinued.
the way it works is by inhibiting the worms' ability to absorb sugars. No sugar and they die off.
That can be applied through a child's diet as well, cut out the candy...

I recently read that 50% of British children have pinworms, so it isn't unique to Israel.

Shower the kids every morning, and blend up pumpkin seeds to a spread - you can mix it into peanut butter, soup, whatever, if they won't eat the seeds straight. The seeds do the same thing as PinX. It paralyses them so that they lose their grip and are expelled with a BM.

Also, shower the kids every morning.

Pinworm is tough because you make all the efforts, but then other kids can reinfect your kid. Some of the ideas above are really lifestyle changes (less sugar, morning showers) that reduce the chances and population of the worms rather than wiping them out in one fell swoop.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics