Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
0% fat gvina levana. what to make

chevi1

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 5:38 am
I have about 2 kg of 0% fat gvina levana that expires tomorrow. what cna I make with it? any cheesecake recipes or anything? thanks!!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 6:06 am
I like to let it drain first to get a firmer cheesecake. A hint someone told me was to leave it in the oven to cool, it gives it a better texture.
The topping gives a caramel like flavor. It also hides any imperfections.

1000gr גבינה לבנה
2 eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
½ t vanilla
2 T corn starch
(1 T melted butter)
1 egg yolk

Crust
¼ c buscuit crumbs
⅓ c margarine or oil
1 T cinnamon sugar

Topping
1 bar white chocolate
1 t corn syrup
½ t coffee granules
3 T water

Pat crust into pan.
Mix batter. Pour into crust.
Bake 1 hr (cracks on top when done)
Chill.

Topping:
Melt over low flame, pour over chilled cake

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 7:37 am
Is this the same as labneh? I have a recipe for a salad that uses it and the instructions seem to indicate that it is an Israeli dairy product that is yogurt drained of liquid so it is like yogurt cheese. Don't mean to hijack but wondering if either of you could let me know. Here is the part of my recipe that included instructions.

I was also wondering if I could just sub Greek Yogurt (as it is called in the USA) which is thicker and less liquid than regular yogurt.

Labneh

SERVES 4

Labneh is yogurt that has been drained of most of its liquid and is almost as thick as cream cheese. It has a sharp, intense flavor. You can make labneh with any yogurt, but we like mixing goat’s and cow’s milk yogurts for a good balance of flavors. You can keep the labneh for at least a week in a sealed tub in the fridge, ready to be spread over bread as a quick snack with some sliced cucumber. As part of a meze selection, spread it out on a small plate, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with chopped oregano or some za’atar.

scant 2 cups / 450 g goat’s milk yogurt
scant 2 cups / 450 g cow’s milk yogurt
½ tsp coarse sea salt

Line a deep bowl with cheesecloth. In a separate bowl, stir the yogurts together with the salt, then pour into the cloth. Bring the edges together, form a tight bundle, and tie firmly with a string. Hang the bundle over the bowl and place in the fridge. Leave the yogurt to drain for 24 to 36 hours, emptying the bowl once or twice if needed. After this time, much of the liquid

etky

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 7:41 am
Amarante wrote:
Is this the same as labneh? I have a recipe for a salad that uses it and the instructions seem to indicate that it is an Israeli dairy product that is yogurt drained of liquid so it is like yogurt cheese. Don't mean to hijack but wondering if either of you could let me know. Here is the part of my recipe that included instructions.

I was also wondering if I could just sub Greek Yogurt (as it is called in the USA) which is thicker and less liquid than regular yogurt.

Labneh

SERVES 4

Labneh is yogurt that has been drained of most of its liquid and is almost as thick as cream cheese. It has a sharp, intense flavor. You can make labneh with any yogurt, but we like mixing goat’s and cow’s milk yogurts for a good balance of flavors. You can keep the labneh for at least a week in a sealed tub in the fridge, ready to be spread over bread as a quick snack with some sliced cucumber. As part of a meze selection, spread it out on a small plate, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with chopped oregano or some za’atar.

scant 2 cups / 450 g goat’s milk yogurt
scant 2 cups / 450 g cow’s milk yogurt
½ tsp coarse sea salt

Line a deep bowl with cheesecloth. In a separate bowl, stir the yogurts together with the salt, then pour into the cloth. Bring the edges together, form a tight bundle, and tie firmly with a string. Hang the bundle over the bowl and place in the fridge. Leave the yogurt to drain for 24 to 36 hours, emptying the bowl once or twice if needed. After this time, much of the liquid

Labaneh is much sharper, more sour, than gvina levana. The texture is pretty similar though.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 7:43 am
etky wrote:
Labaneh is much sharper, more sour, than gvina levana. The texture is pretty similar though.

Ok. Thanks. So the taste would be because labneh has the taste of the yogurt which has the tang from it being cultured?

etky

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 7:45 am
Amarante wrote:
Ok. Thanks. So the taste would be because labneh has the taste of the yogurt which has the tang from it being cultured?

I think so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals