Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Has anyone tried the Joy of Kosher baked ziti recipe?

whirlwind

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:36 pm
I just found this recipe online while looking to "upgrade" my ziti recipe. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it because it has double the amount of marinara sauce I've ever used and more than double the ricotta cheese! So wanted to know if anyone has made it successfully or whether anyone has a baked ziti recipe that is similar to those served in restaurants. Here is the Joy of Kosher recipe I found:

Ingredients

1 (1-pound) box ziti or penne rigate
2 (26-ounce) jars prepared marinara sauce
1 (32-ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 (8-ounce) packages shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Cook ziti about 2 to 3 minutes less than package directions for al dente pasta. Drain, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix marinara sauce, ricotta and 1 cup of mozzarella.
Pour about 2 cups of the sauce mixture in prepared pan, spreading over bottom.
Combine ziti and remaining sauce mixture and stir until well combined, making sure there are no dry patches of pasta. Pour into pan and spread to edges.
Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over ziti to cover.
Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray and cover ziti. This will keep the cheese from sticking to the foil.
Bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Serve hot, straight out of the pan.

bwaybabe85

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:46 pm
I make it all the time. We love it!

oliveoil

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:56 pm
I haven't made it, but it sounds like an insane amount of cheese and sauce for just one box of pasta.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:57 pm
It's awesome. A really complete meal on its own with a green salad.

whirlwind

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 2:09 pm
bwaybabe and ramom do you use those amounts of sauce and cheese?? You don't find it excessive like oliveoil and I think it will be??

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 2:12 pm
whirlwind wrote:
bwaybabe and ramom do you use those amounts of sauce and cheese?? You don't find it excessive like oliveoil and I think it will be??

You folks aren't alone. I couldn't imagine putting that much fat into a single recipe.

Simple1

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 2:17 pm
I've tried it as is and it's very good. But I also tried it with adding extra ziti - I don't remember - like an extra half a box maybe, and it was still good.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 4:08 pm
whirlwind wrote:
I halve the recipe and make it in a 7x10 deep pan using half a package of pasta. I don't find a package of low fat cottage cheese and a package of shredded cheese excessive for feeding my family.

I find that when I make a standard ziti recipe my family eats more pasta.

self-actualization

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 12:09 pm
I've made this and it was delicious. I also remember thinking that the ingredients were excessive and expensive, but it came out good. It's too expensive, fattening, and time consuming for me to make on a regular basis though. I made it for a goodbye party, but I think it would be good for a bridal shower, melave malka, etc.

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 12:13 pm
my mother's baked ziti recipe which I've been making for many many years, is pretty much the same with 2 jars of sauce, 32 oz of ricotta, and 2 bags of cheese with only one box of pasta. it's delicious, and I can't tell you how many people say I make the best baked ziti they have ever tasted.

whirlwind

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:07 am
Ok so I tried the recipe but was too chicken to use that much cheese and sauce. I used 2 boxes of noodles and also doubled the mozzarella. Sauce and ricotta I kept the same. I was not impressed and my kids ate less than they usually do of my plain old boring ziti. So either I gotta try it per the original recipe, go back to the drawing board, or just stick with the plain old boring! My kids are fine with it I just wanted to experiment because when I get ziti at a dairy restaurant it is so much better so was hoping to get similar results at home! Thanks for all the input.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals