Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Loved Mishpacha Fiction on High School Jobs
1  2  3  Next

UQT

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 9:47 pm
Every once in a while a great piece of fiction comes along, that is really true to life. I loved this week's Mishpacha story about High school jobs. In short a girl in high school is Plain Jane so she gets a job called Special Editor which basically consists of posing for picture which is labeled special editor. When a high powered girl (rich, smart etc) who got the best job of the lot, production head, moves away she requests the principal that she gets that position. The principal has no idea what to do - good jobs only go to the best, most prestigious, most money, most yichus girls. So she moves the Chinese auction head into play production and gives this plain girl the job of Chinese auction. Play barely scrapes by, while Chinese auction brings in an unprecedented amount - and no one connects the dots.

I can't believe how to true to life it was - maybe the author just went to my school. But by us the same girls were chosen again and again. I still have this childish urge inside me to stop by my school and show them how well I did for myself, despite them ignoring me all 4 years of school - but they probably would have no idea who I am. I just filled a seat.

Anyone else enjoyed it as much?

iluvy

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 9:49 pm
Loved it! It was so true and also really well written.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 9:55 pm
I went to public school, but even I really appreciated and enjoyed the piece. It really brought the issue (which will forever be ignored surely) to light and helped me understand how things go so I can be there for my daughter.

cnc

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:05 pm
I read the Mishpacha very rarely, and I'm glad I read it this week.
I enjoyed the piece very much!

Queen6

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:42 pm
I loved it and clipped it out. It's just such a pity that it's so true.... When will the system change? Isn't it crazy that it's been like this for so long and nobody is second guessing?
Times like these I think I should open a school and change the world Smile

momesq

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 11:01 pm
I agree. It's like the same few families rule the roost. Never is a plain good girl given the opportunity. So sad. I showed it to my HS daughter so I could at least validate her hurt feelings by showing that this goes on in all schools.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 1:03 am
I loved the story!

In the synopsis above you left out the part about how (if I understood/recall correctly) from then on the chinese auction was considered the prestigious job.

So true that the leadership is often totally out of touch with which girls actually have which skills. They know who's popular and who has a reputation and that's about it.

nursemomma

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 1:20 am
I found it to be a great piece as well!
You left out the best part...the narrator of the story, who was a teacher and knew what went on and did connect the dots, took this girl as a daughter in law! Thought it was a cute ending Smile

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 1:22 am
It was cute... but hey, fiction. The rest of the story was so real.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 1:46 am
seeker wrote:
I loved the story!

In the synopsis above you left out the part about how (if I understood/recall correctly) from then on the chinese auction was considered the prestigious job.

And no subsequent head ever raised as much money either

m in Israel

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 4:02 am
Is anyone able to scan it and post it?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 8:57 am
I loved the piece too!

I'm going amother because I am a high school teacher who gets to see behind the scenes of how many of these decisions are made. I thought the story was thought provoking and can definitely bring the conversation to the front page, but at the same time was quite simplistic. There is no denying that girls are often overlooked when receiving jobs, but at the same time many are unaware of how many hours are spent going through the lists and making sure that girls' potentials are being realized.

There are so many factors that are taken into account, the way the story presented it was a bit too simplistic. In my opinion, had it been written in less of a black and white way, and yet somehow this capable girl was overlooked (which of course happens under any circumstances), the story would have been perfect!

UQT

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:22 am
To the High School Teacher -
I think you're vision is slightly clouded. Perhaps they are working with a list of 15 top girls and then deciding who should get what based on their skills. I remember the girl who was head of melave malka in ninth grade went on to be the only girl in dance from our grade in 10th. Then she was GO, got to go on convention and had a nice yearbook job.

I remember going through the list of my classmates before they announced the 15 girls who got to go on convention and I was absolutely certain they would pick me. There were only handful of girls who had yet to be chosen for something - so I figured those girls would be one to go. I even had enough money saved up. How devastated I was to hear that the yearbook editor would be going, GO and the head of play. The reason they gave when one girl protested was that 'they work so hard they deserve this.'

I survived and went on to the real world. I ran a company for 10 years before I branched off with my husband to open up a business. We are b'h very successful. But whenever I get a letter from my high school for money, I throw it directly in the trash. Call me petty, but had they been slightly acknowledging of me, perhaps I will feel obligated to help them now. I can think of plenty of people and organizations who deserve the money more.

I want you to honestly tell me that every girl in your school has a chance to show they can. Even the simple girl, from the very large family who "can't handle so much responsibility right now". Because I'm willing to bet you that if given the chance - you would be quite shocked at what they can do.

Last edited by UQT on Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

UQT

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:25 am
One more thing - now that my husband is on the board at my kids school, I see they gave my daughter editor in chief this year. She happens to be super smart and a fabulous writer (just her mother saying:), but something in back of my mind tells me that wasn't all about her. I wish I had the guts to say something, but at this point she only got one job (he joined only 2 years ago), but I am watching to make sure it's fair - and I hope I would have the courage speak up if she was to get something else that should be given to one of the other 60 girls in the grade who never got the chance.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:56 am
Of course I cannot sit here and speak for every high school that exists, and every high schooler's experience! I am just pointing out that the scenario depicted was a bit too simplistic.

From what I see, a lot of though is put into high school jobs, and yes, of course, good capable girls are overlooked. The story still makes a good point, and I think it is an important discussion, but I think people also underestimate what goes on behind the scenes.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:05 am
They can put in as much thought as they want, but if they don't know all the girls then what do they have to base these lovely thoughts on?

UQT

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:07 am
Just curious, what is the thought process behind - let's give the 10th grade melave malka head the job of yearbook editor in chief?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:08 am
Its funny how different people are.

I went through high school trying to stay under the radar. I cringed every time I got chosen. I tried to spend as little time being involved in committees, projects, conventions, etc.

I am shocked that so many people actually want to be chosen for this stuff.

I am very outgoing and friendly but I hated these kind of things.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:10 am
Yes, it isn't so black and white.
Usually the jobs are given to girls who are popular, smart, well-connected and talented. In my high school the same girls were used over and over again. Of course there were exceptions. I personally was not at all popular and my grades were abysmal yet I was chosen for prestigious jobs in every grade. I always thought that my situation proved how the job selections were not so snobby after all.
But the narrator of the story did mention that the Hanhala asked her how the main character was in her class. They were disappointed that she was average as they could at least feel justified about giving her the 'good' job if she was exceptional in some way, even if only the lowly english subjects.
So I guess that explains why I was given my jobs. I was extremely well-spoken for a high schooler and I had a confident nature. I guess I was 'exceptional' enough to make up for my poor grades.
Meanwhile, the girls who were average in every way, but were responsible and hard-working were in the grade choir and the melave malka cleanup committee. (But you know what? Most of them had a blast. Much more fun than being editor in chief Very Happy )

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:17 am
I didn't read it, but feel very strongly about the topic. And the same thing applies for school plays and productions.

I feel very lucky that my girls go to a high school where the principal and those in charge put a lot of thought into jobs and parts. Parts and jobs are given to girls regardless of social status. In fact, I've seen cases where it actually helped a quieter girl open up and become more into things. Some girls talents may be hidden and really need smart educators to draw them out.

Also, every girl gets a job - is that how it's done these days? I hope so. Because when I was in school only a small handful of girls got jobs, and of course they were the more popular "with-it" ones, and getting a job again and again. It's such a shame because a job can really help a girl develop confidence. Just because you're not pretty, popular and loud, doesn't mean you're not capable.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room