Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Making large challah

rosenbal

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 12:14 pm
Need advice on making large challahs. How long to bake and what temp so I know they're done inside but not overdone. Please be specific in terms of how many loaves from how much dough etc.

rosenbal

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 7:25 pm
Bump

Want to make sure gets baked inside but not burned on outside. Would like to avoid trial and error Very Happy

youngishbear

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 7:50 pm
I have made a single challah out of a full 6 pound batch and never had it raw on the inside.

I put it in the oven same as all the time. I set the temperature on the lowest for 30-45 minutes for it to rise, and then turn up the heat to 350 for an hour for the baking.

rosenbal

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:45 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I have made a single challah out of a full 6 pound batch and never had it raw on the inside.

I put it in the oven same as all the time. I set the temperature on the lowest for 30-45 minutes for it to rise, and then turn up the heat to 350 for an hour for the baking.

Thank you for responding! So you had it rise in the oven? I usually have them rise covered on a counter. Why do you do it that way?

youngishbear

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:48 pm
rosenbal wrote:
Thank you for responding! So you had it rise in the oven? I usually have them rise covered on a counter. Why do you do it that way?

I faithfully follow my aunt's recipe. I don't know the logic or chemistry behind it. Maybe the temperature in the oven is easier to control than on the counter? I know the first round of rising is affected by season and house temperature.

The dough rises for half hour, then I punch it down. After another half hour I shape them, smear eggs for shine, and put them in the oven to rise.

Can't wait for thst glorious scent tomorrow!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads