Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Which oil is best for challah dough? My challas flopped

mochacoffee

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:00 pm
For the first time in my years of making challah, my challah's were inedible this week. I could not figure out what I had done wrong. When I was mixing the dough by hand something smelled off but I figured I'd make them anyway. I baked the challah's and when we cut them Friday night, they had such an awful taste, I had to throw them in the garbage. Tonight I was using my oil for something else and smelled the same smell. I'm pretty sure the oil I used was wrong for challah dough. I used extra light olive oil, it says on the bottle best for baking, frying and sauteeing. I used to use canola oil which came out perfect but someone once told me that it's a very unhealthy oil and I researched and found out it was. What oil is good for making challos?

alef12

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:02 pm
Sounds like your oil is rancid. It can happen to any type of oil. Always smell before using!

mochacoffee

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:03 pm
Does that mean it's spoiled and can't be used for something else? I used it in a recipe tonight, should I not serve it?

alef12

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:07 pm
Not a good idea to eat it. It won't kill you but it's definitely not good for you. It also tastes awful, as you've already figured out.

mochacoffee

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:12 pm
Thanks. In general, if it's not rancid is extra light olive oil good to use in challah?

alef12

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:14 pm
lovemytwins wrote:
Thanks. In general, if it's not rancid is extra light olive oil good to use in challah?

Should be fine

mochacoffee

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:18 pm
Thanks so much. I feel quite dumb that I never knew oil rancidity was a thing. Definitely doing my research now.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 8:40 pm
I use extra light olive oil in challah all the time, it has almost no smell so yours is probably spoiled. I also use coconut oil sometimes but it gives the challah a different flavor.

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 9:08 pm
The issue with your oil going bad aside, I have used canola oil, safflower oil and in times of desperation, olive oil. It all came out fine.

BrachaBatya

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 10:50 am
I use canola in my challah baking.

BrachaBatya

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 10:51 am
Throw out that bottle of oil - it's rancid and nothing can be done about it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 12:33 pm
Extra light olive oil works well for challah recipes and can be used again in the future.
Just make sure to throw out this particular bottle of oil and replace it with a fresh one.

mochacoffee

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 12:40 pm
Already gone! Threw it away right when alef12 informed me that it was rancid. I never heard of oil going bad until now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads