Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Good website for baby carriages and car seats?
Previous  1  2

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:30 pm
Ok, thanks for clarifying about NJ law (but then they still have to ship it rather than buy in store). I just know amazon had bad PR a few years back about not collecting sales tax. They claimed the consumer still had to so it's not like they do anything illegal.
I also know that many frum companies won't collect it and it can cause a huge Chillul Hashem.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:31 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:
I was under the impression that if you buy something in a different state you don't need to pay sales tax to that state. A few years back, my NJ bro in law bought something in a big chain store in NY, and when he showed his ID they didn't charge tax.

You have to in many/most states.

fbc

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:34 pm
Is it a necessity to get a car seat that goes into a stroller? Or do ppl deal without it? ( the only reason I can think to get it is in case baby falls asleep, and you need to get baby out of car, into stroller)

fbc

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:34 pm
And dw, I'm def gonna keep looking!

twogees

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 7:53 pm
Its not a necessity, as ppl do deal with it. we only got the adapter bec we felt it would be easier for certain trips we were going on during the summer and someone got the wrong one for their stroller (2014 version for their 2015 stroller) so we bought from them. but as I said, we were getting a carseat we COULD get the adapter for if we wanted to...You can pm me if you need help on strollers as I did alot of reasearch not that long ago on strollers (had #1 in may 2015 and did alot for months before)

justmarried

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:33 am
There are different types of adapters. I have the Maxi Cosi adapter, and what I love about it, is that its so small. Its 2 small oval pieces that can even be put into a diaper bag when not in use. This way, I can use a car seat with the base of my regular carriage if I have the adapters. IME the snap and go stroller bases wheeled terribly. Other company adapters can be huge things that are hard to use portably.

I also found the blog babygizmo to be really helpful. She has video reviews on most carriages. They are so detailed - she takes the time to go over everything about the carriage. Although, I would tell you to check out the carriage in person when you decide what to go with.

I bought most of my baby gear at Dainty Baby in Boro Park. They have a beautiful show room and are priced really well! I think they would even match a price if you find it cheaper elsewhere.

baby12x

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:48 am
cnc wrote:
They're based in NJ and there is no tax when shipping out of state to NY.

NJ sales tax laws are different than most other states. So sometimes you can save a lot of money by shopping in NJ.

baby12x

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:52 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Ok, thanks for clarifying about NJ law (but then they still have to ship it rather than buy in store). I just know amazon had bad PR a few years back about not collecting sales tax. They claimed the consumer still had to so it's not like they do anything illegal.
I also know that many frum companies won't collect it and it can cause a huge Chillul Hashem.

It depends if the store has a physical location in the state. There has been a lot of fighting in government over stores that have only an online presence (like amazon) as opposed to a store that has a physical location but it shipping items to you.

wiki

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 2:19 pm
Unless a stroller is on sale, the manufacturers usually require certain minimum pricing, so you are unlikely to find (pretty much any brand of) strollers for much less than the going-rate. Then again, there might be some stores out there that are jacking up the prices.

I generally found that almost all of the stores were charging identical prices to Amazon for pretty much all of their strollers.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 2:26 pm
I found online pricing to be about the same every were.

but in the stores I found it to be much less. Some stores wouldn't give me the price over the phone but when I came in the price was much less.
(For example on a phil and ted stroller they included the second seat for free and price was the same as without online).

In general I find the competition in the frum stores causes the prices to be lower.

fbc

Post Sat, Jan 09 2016, 9:52 pm
I've been looking a lot at babies r us (And other places) but just wondering: I don't recognize some of the company names I've seen (Obv have heard of graco, chicco) but the others, do I assume they are good brands because they are sold by babies r us? If I go to store, will anything there be considered good/safe? I know it's illegal to sell things that have been recalled. So if I go to store and all all appropriate questions, so I assume I'm getting a good product? Or that they are just like any other company/salespeople trying to sell something?

smile4

Post Sat, Jan 09 2016, 11:08 pm
fbc wrote:
I've been looking a lot at babies r us (And other places) but just wondering: I don't recognize some of the company names I've seen (Obv have heard of graco, chicco) but the others, do I assume they are good brands because they are sold by babies r us? If I go to store, will anything there be considered good/safe? I know it's illegal to sell things that have been recalled. So if I go to store and all all appropriate questions, so I assume I'm getting a good product? Or that they are just like any other company/salespeople trying to sell something?

All car seats sold legally in the US pass the same federal crash testing standards, and are very safe when used correctly. The salespeople might try to tell you that one is safer than another, but they don't really have any training in car seat safety. Is there a particular brand you're looking at? Some car seats (like baby trend for example) generally don't provide a good fit for newborns, so they wouldn't be safe, as you would not be able to use them correctly. I always recommend that new parents meet with a CPST (child passenger safety technician) to go over proper car seat installation and usage. If you'd be open to that, I can try to help you find someone in your area.

fbc

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 8:11 am
That's an interesting idea. I never heard of a cpst. And they can assure you what will be safe even without the baby there?

smile4

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 9:16 am
fbc wrote:
That's an interesting idea. I never heard of a cpst. And they can assure you what will be safe even without the baby there?

They are trained in car seat safety, so they can guide you in picking out a seat that's appropriate for an average size newborn, and that would be an appropriate fit for your particular vehicle. If you have reason to believe that the baby will be smaller than average, then they can guide you in picking out a seat that's appropriate for that situation. They can also meet with you personally and teach you how to properly install it, how to buckle the baby in properly, and how to use it properly.

It's a topic that unfortunately is under-discussed, not just in the frum world, but in the world at large. Studies have shown that many parents aren't using their car seats properly. I am hoping to get my certification soon, but I've already studied up a lot so I might be able to answer some questions for you. And like I said, I can refer you to someone who is certified. Feel free to PM me.

fbc

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 4:37 pm
Now about price ranges...so I like the uppababy Vista, and on Amazon I found the stroller, bassinet and car seat (not Vista, but something that was made to go with it, not needing adapter), and all together costs like $970 ish or a bit more (I know that's before tax... Is that a good price since its a whole travel system? Or can I really do better?

Smile1234

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 9:01 am
fbc wrote:
Now about price ranges...so I like the uppababy Vista, and on Amazon I found the stroller, bassinet and car seat (not Vista, but something that was made to go with it, not needing adapter), and all together costs like $970 ish or a bit more (I know that's before tax... Is that a good price since its a whole travel system? Or can I really do better?

Call the Lkwd stores, like Picolino. I got a stroller recently. Priced it all over - online and in Bklyn and Lkwd stores - and Picolino in Lkwd was the best priced.

Try Juvenile planet also.

IDK if they can lower the Uppababy prices much, but I do know that they had the best price for the Baby Jogger stroller I bought.

Also I know that Bed Bath and Beyond has great return policy - like if a stroller breaks they just give a new one no questions asked... so price it there too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics