Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Star wars vent- spoiler alert

ruby slippers

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:05 pm
Just came back from seeing Star wars. Sooo disappointed. I was expecting something a little deeper. The characters were so 2 dimensional. I also am so peeved that Han, Luke and leia were not reunited at least in one scene. I was looking forward to that camaraderie. And wow poor mark Hamill had sooo many lines to memorize(note the sarcasm).
So a few questions.
1) Who was the old man who was an obi wan wanna be that gave Po the disc about Luke's whereabouts? His voice was so familiar.
2)I thought the clones were, clones- not kids who were kidnapped and brainwashed.
3) what was up with kylo ren and that mask- he didn't need it, his face was not disfigured, it was like he was a little kid playing dress up and really bad at using the force and really good at throwing temper tantrums.
4) spoiler here- killing off Han ahhhh- I loved the back and forth he had with Ray- don't know how they are going to fill that void in the next movie.

Anyone else feeling a little let down?

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:07 pm
ok, I didn't watch it, nor did I read your entire post. but really? you expected more than 2 dimensional characters? this is STAR WARS. I re-watched the originals with my kid recently, and boy, was the writing lousy. george lucas really did well on the special effects. star wars is fun and all, but character development was never a part of the franchise.

little_mage

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 5:15 pm
In regards to your point number three, I thought that Kylo Ren was wearing the mask in order to be like Vader, who he clearly idolizes. No, he doesn't need it, but in a way, he's trying to become Vader, so a mask is part of that.

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 5:58 am
Thanks- that's what I thought- I am not sure why the "new emporer" has given kylo ren so much power when he can't follow through on any of his tasks.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 6:55 am
It was a fun movie but I never really expected it to be that amazing. In general, Star Wars is entertaining but very overrated. You never really gain a deep understanding of the force or why people choose light/dark.

gp2.0

Post Sat, Jan 09 2016, 6:09 pm
OK I actually really enjoyed the Star Wars movie. I was never into the original franchise, I don't like 80s movies. It seemed to me like this Star Wars movie was a long recap/introduction to the star wars world for people who didn't see the original movies, and with successive movies the plot will become more complicated. They didn't have time to establish new characters because they were too busy reintroducing old ones and establishing the plot.

That being said, I'm seeing a lot of interesting fan theories about Rey, and why is she so good at fighting, and why she fights with a staff which is similar to a light saber. Also about who her parents are.

It's less clear how Finn, who was brainwashed since he was a small child, was able to break that control. How does he even know how to relate to other people (Poe, Rey) in a friendly way? It doesn't seem like the stormtroopers would hug each other or engage in camaraderie.

From what I've been reading, in the original star wars the stormtroopers are clones but later on at some point they stop making clones and humans are added to the ranks. So some are still clones and some are abducted humans.

And the emperor is giving kylo ren so much power because he is using him for his ability to control the force. Basically the backstory is that kylo ren used to be a good guy and was training to be a Jedi under Luke's supervision. Kylo was convinced by Snoke to join the dark side and be more like his grandfather Darth Vader. Luke felt terrible about his failure and went off into isolation.

And I really enjoyed a female-centric movie for a change, in particular Rey's CLOTHING which is realistic and useful instead of stupidly s*xy, especially in the mask they chose for the opening shot, which is focusing on her brains and ability instead of her body.

Oh! And "Why do you keep taking my hand?! I can run without you holding my hand!" Priceless.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics