Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Toras zev of lakewood

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 5:20 pm
Does anyone have any information about this school? Are there any parents on here that send there ?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 6:16 pm
It is VERY right wing
Dont fall for brand name to be truly the best. Do you homework. Make sure its what YOU are looking for.
Just because its imposible to get in doesnt make it tops. If you take a min to look around every yeshiva/school has its time in the lime light until it doesnt

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 7:09 am
I did not realize this. I herd they were open to helping children who would need extra help

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 7:44 am
From personal experience the cheder and orchos chaim are best suited to previde the most extra support for a child. Again do your homework as to which one best fits YOU and your CHILD
Tz is great as it is small and very warm place. But it is still new . More established places saw it all by now and are not shocked when/if issues come up and have already delt with the issue at hand

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:27 am
The Cheder will not be a good fit for my family. Archos Chaim did not accept us. I know the issues my son will face and have support setup for him for next year. I feel like I haven't come across any school yet that would be a good fit I don't know if this is because there isn't one or because I'm just not informed. If anyone with a child that needs extra support can post here to direct me it would be much appreciated

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:40 am
What about YTT?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:44 am
I feel like that school used to be runned very haphazardly. From what I hear there's a new principal who is very on top of things now but I'm still hesitant. Does anyone have any more info about this?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:56 am
Nothing bad about YTT, its a good school (and translates into English which is helpful for many students) but I have heard their services for weaker kids aren't as good as other schools.
This could have changed, so if interested follow up on it.

Ziva Krieger used to be a great source of information and advice on this, perhaps someone she trained in can advise you.

DVOM

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 1:14 pm
My son is in YTT. He's needed lots of support services, and I've been really impressed with YTT. No school is perfect, but we've had a very positive experience. I cant say I've always loved everything every Rebbe has done, but I've found the overall atmousphere and attitiude of the school to be loving and accepting of my son, and willing to do whatever it takes to help him. My son is pritty young, so I dont know how the school was run in past years, but we have always had someone to talk to when problems or concerns came up. A few times a month my little guy will come home telling me that one of the principals came over to him during recess to say hi, or compliment him on his kick in kickball, or to ask him what he's learning. He really feels valued and loved there. Of course, advocating for our son and finding the correct services that were needed to help him was our job, but the school was very receptive to whatever ideas or suggestions we had. It sounds like you already have a good picture of the types of supports your son needs. I dont know that YTT would be the type of school that would pick up on more subtle challenges but they will be very willing to help you set up the supports you know you need.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 3:22 pm
My son in YTT has minor issues and when I speak to Rabbi Feldman who is the sgan menahel he is very helpful and on top of things. I would definitely say orchos chaim has more resources but YTT has plenty. I know 2 pple that switched from tashbar to Ytt cuz their kids had issues that tashbar didn't deal with. They are both very happy.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 3:52 pm
Has anyone had any issues at YTT with bullying? I have heard that their attitude is boys will be boys and they don't really intervene as much as other schools would

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 3:54 pm
Also YTT with their new building is improving alot of things. They are improving their limudei kodesh...making it not as easy cuz the boys need to be more prepared for mesivta. Heard that from a rebbi there.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 3:57 pm
To amother about bullying. I have had a bullying issue there and it was very taken care of . Rabbi feldman has pretty much taken over as menahel and is very on top of everything.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 11:45 am
Did archos chaim already tell you you werent excepted? Is there any one that you know that can help you get in there. There was a story going around I dont know if it is a true story but that somdone in lakewood was not succesful in getting there child into school. The parents called Rechnitz in LA. Parents and Rechnitz did not know each other. Parents called as a last resort. Anyway Rechnitz got the child into their school of choice.
Every child eventualy gets into a school. But will it be the right fit is always the question.
Because you know your child will need that extra support do yourself a favor now and fight for him now. You are and will always be through the whole schooling proccess your childs best advicate. Dont let him get into a situation were he will be crushed-even if its just lack of experienced knowlede on the part of the school. It will be much more of a heart ache trying to undo the damage later on.
Im sorry if im coming through to strong . Its just the heart of amother thats been through it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics