Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
WWYD-Babysitting for a friend

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 2:34 pm
I am a babysitter in my home for financial reasoning. I have one friend who just calls hours (sometimes it can be 45 min before) before dropping off her child. I do babysit for others but they have a contract signed with what hours I have them. This person whatsapps me and if I dont answer in a fast enough manner for her, she calls me. I have a feeling that she thinks that just because when her kid is the only one here I always answer her almost immediately, but thats the time I speak to other friends/family on whatsapp....I am planning on raising my prices but feel that if I do, she wont want to send every time since it will get too expensive. she has also gotten somewhat upset when I went away over succos and she needed a babysitter, or I went with my husband to the oral surgeon....what do I do now? tell her to either sign the contract or that I am raising my prices for all drop ins-and what should I raise it to?

Last edited by twogees on Tue, Jan 05 2016, 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 2:40 pm
Not all babysitters accept "drop ins" tell her you dont accept "drop ins" and unless it's a steady contract you cant do it anymore...

Hatemywig

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 2:43 pm
It sounds like some boundaries need to be put in place. You sound like you're worried about her reaction.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 2:45 pm
She has a serious boundary issue if she thinks you will always be available, unpaid, for the few times she might actually drop in and pay you. You are not spending your life sitting around to be available for non-steady work. Obviously you have a life that includes vacation, Yomim Tovim, and visits to the dentist, etc....

I have certainly heard of babysitters that charge a different rate for drop-ins vs. steadies, and I think they are well within their rights to do so.

I think you can send out a message (whatsap, etc..) to all your clients (so she doesn't feel singled out) letting them know that starting next week (or whenever you want) you will be increasing the rate for drop-ins. Include in the message any other pertinent information you want there (like how much in advance you need drop-in notice).

If she doesn't like your terms, she is free to use someone else.

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 2:47 pm
OP here- I am worried about her reaction and can really use the extra income. We are also old friends who happened to have married friends from bais medrish....

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 3:48 pm
I think you can send out a message (whatsap, etc..) to all your clients (so she doesn't feel singled out) letting them know that starting next week (or whenever you want) you will be increasing the rate for drop-ins. Include in the message any other pertinent information you want there (like how much in advance you need drop-in notice).

What should I put in the message? not sure how to word it...
What I came with-Please note that beginning Feb 1st any drop-ins will be charged $__/hr ($1 more than my normal rate) for 24 hrs+ in advance and any time closer to when you need drop off, will be $__/hr ($2 more than my normal rate).

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 3:51 pm
I'm not exactly clear what the issue is.

You are willing to babysit for her if you are available. If you are not available for any reason including not feeling like it, that is YOUR prerogative. Unless you have committed to a schedule, she is completely out of bounds to give you grief.

As others have posted, many professionals have one rate for steady customers who are in effect guaranteeing you a certain number of hours and those who just want to hire you with no guarantee.

As others have posted, I would send a notice to ALL clients stating effective as of February 1, my rates will be $x for those who prepay for the month for a minimum of y hours and schedule x days in advance. Rate for others will be $z and will be subject to availability.

twogees

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 4:12 pm
op here-I told her at the beginning of the year that she can sign a contract to assure that I will be available and she chose not to. when I say I am unavailable, she gets a bit anxious that she has to scramble to find a babysitter at 3 pm for a 3:45 drop off. I have also made dr appts for my baby based off my contracted kids and she is still a bit demanding....but I may just send out an email to the contracted moms as well so she doesnt feel left out that if you are a non contracted client, then starting Feb 1. I am unavailable for drop ins...

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 4:51 pm
Great idea op!

Then if she does complain or pressure just have a ready answer in as nice a tone as possible something like, "Oh I can't do that anymore" rinse and repeat as needed. Do not explain or provide a reason.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers