Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Need new Shabbos chicken idea
1  2  3  4  Next

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:15 pm
Kids no longer interested in my old chicken recipes. Looking for something that might be more pleasing to their palates. Without lots of sugar and without store-bought processed ingredients like duck sauce.

What I usually do is combine random spices according to my mood (sometimes leaning more toward paprika, sometimes more italian/herbal, sometimes more cumin/turmeric...) and toss in a bunch of onions and garlic. I also slice vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, and sometimes squash and put that under it all and roast all together. Served over rice. Adults like this, kids used to but now they just about tolerate it at best.

Looking for a different idea. It has to cook tonight.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:21 pm
combine in a bowl:

a lot of paprika
somewhat less of garlic, onion powder
even less of parsley
less still: turmeric, cumin
some salt
some cayenne pepper

mix, taste. rub this all over a whole chicken if you have one. make sure to get the spice in all the crevices. bake the chicken breast side down, uncovered, 2 hours at 350.

abs

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:21 pm
breaded?
dipped into italian dressing and breaded?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:26 pm
another fun idea: rub chicken in a little oil. mince a lot of fresh onions and garlic. pile mountains of onion and garlic on top of each piece of chicken. bake open. the onion and garlic closest to the chicken will fry, the top of the mounds will get crisp. I call it "everything bagel chicken."

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:29 pm
Mummiedearest that sounds like something I would love!

The problem is the kids. All these ideas are spicy/savory. It seems my kids are not fans of spicy or onion/garlic type of flavors. They would probably really like a sweet sauce but I don't want to get in the habit of making food too sweet or it will never end and they will be totally spoiled. I also don't want to use actual sugar for dietary reasons. I can try drizzling a drop of honey in something but it didn't help last week (using recipe in OP but adding a little honey)

SorGold

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:31 pm
Dice carrots, onions, and zuchinni, garlic. Place chicken over veggies and cover with sauce (I really like miur glen organic because its flavorful, bpa free and sugar free) and a bit of basil and italian seasoning. Cover tightly and bake 350 for at least 2.5 hours.

Place a head of garlic peeled in bottom of pan. Place chicken skin side down in pan (bottoms work best) cover tightly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 375 for 3 hours. It does have fat but you can skin and it has no sugar. The skin carmalizes in a garlic sauce. Chicken falls off the bone and is delish!

Dip chicken in mustard with either mayo or water or honey and then dredge in any kind of crumbs spiced with onion and garlic powder (gluten free, whole wheat, homemade, mashed potato flakes,almond flour,). Bake covered at 350 for 1.5 hours and uncover for 1 hour.

Chicken covered in onions, garlic and dried figs. Delicious and naturally sweet.

Last edited by SorGold on Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:32 pm
My husband is the chef.. He makes cacciatore..

Pour a jar of your favorite marinara or meat sauce on it and bake

VoilĂ ..

nnmom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:35 pm
Do you have a grill like a george foreman?
That's a crowd pleaser here

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:39 pm
For sweet recipes:
Do you have any juice in the house? Mix it with honey and put over the chicken.
I mix honey and garlic together for honey garlic chicken. Tastes delicious with sliced potatoes underneath with that flavoring too.

For breaded, try different coatings like crushed rice krispies instead of typical breadcrumbs...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:40 pm
Sometimes making separate dishes is enough to liven things up.
Yellow rice (turmeric), mushroom rice, sweet potato fries, scalloped potatoes...
Honey chicken, southern style chicken, Greek garlic chicken, sticky Rotisserie style chicken, honey orange chicken, caramelized silan (date honey) chicken, apricot chicken (blend natural dried apricots with some honey and thin out a bit season chicken with garlic and salt, add the apricot sauce and you get duck sauce)...
Maybe use a different part of the chicken than you usually do. Wings. Drumsticks. Breasts. Or debone the chicken.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:43 pm
Kids usually love this when I make for Shabbat:

Cut up chicken breast into nugget size pieces. Dip in flour, dip in egg, dip in panko bread crumbs ( I use kikkoman brand). Fry in a little canola oil on stove top until done. Serve with sweet & sour sauce or ketchup or whatever other sauce you want.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:50 pm
Thanks for the ideas.

Remember, I have no prepared sauces, prefer not to use them in general, and am definitely not running out to any store right now.

I have a grill pan but I don't know if that works for bone chicken, and the kids do not like grilled chicken cutlets any way I make them (I have about 4 recipes I like, plus plain. They have none.)

Rachel, sounds like schnitzel or similar - have tried that, kids don't like. Can you imagine?! I loved this when I was a kid.

HY any more specific direction for honey garlic concept?

SorGold caramelized garlic chicken sounds interesting, not sure if I am understanding how it works correctly, and not sure my kids will go for the garlic flavor. But sounds like heaven for DH and me. I mean since the kids are barely eating anyway Tongue Out

OK I think I have enough inspiration to get started! Though I could maybe use some more detailed walk-through. I mean, if the skin side is down then what keeps the top moist? And there's nothing in it except a little salt and the garlic sitting at the bottom? Does the garlic flavor spread by itself? Might be worth a try because it doesn't involve spices and my kids have been rejecting my seasonings...

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:50 pm
Do they like spaghetti sauce. Chicken cacciatore is basically chicken cooked with peppers, onions and mushrooms in a spaghetti type of tomato sauce.

Grilled bone in chicken is difficult to cook.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:51 pm
They eat spaghetti plain or with ketchup :roll

gittelchana

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:51 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
another fun idea: rub chicken in a little oil. mince a lot of fresh onions and garlic. pile mountains of onion and garlic on top of each piece of chicken. bake open. the onion and garlic closest to the chicken will fry, the top of the mounds will get crisp. I call it "everything bagel chicken."

Interesting

SorGold

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:54 pm
seeker wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.

Remember, I have no prepared sauces, prefer not to use them in general, and am definitely not running out to any store right now.

I have a grill pan but I don't know if that works for bone chicken, and the kids do not like grilled chicken cutlets any way I make them (I have about 4 recipes I like, plus plain. They have none.)

Rachel, sounds like schnitzel or similar - have tried that, kids don't like. Can you imagine?! I loved this when I was a kid.

HY any more specific direction for honey garlic concept?

SorGold caramelized garlic chicken sounds interesting, not sure if I am understanding how it works correctly, and not sure my kids will go for the garlic flavor. But sounds like heaven for DH and me. I mean since the kids are barely eating anyway Tongue Out

OK I think I have enough inspiration to get started! Though I could maybe use some more detailed walk-through. I mean, if the skin side is down then what keeps the top moist? And there's nothing in it except a little salt and the garlic sitting at the bottom? Does the garlic flavor spread by itself? Might be worth a try because it doesn't involve spices and my kids have been rejecting my seasonings...

The garlic flavor spreads into the oil... its moist from the oil and because it stays coveres the whole time. It doesnt taste overly garlicky unless you mash the garlic on the chicken after. One dd likes to do that.

SorGold

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:58 pm
Theres always the 40 clove garlic chicken with balsamic vinegar and rosemary... no real spices and its also very good. I dont use bought sauces and garlic in a variety of ways works wonders LOL

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 5:59 pm
It's too late for tonight because you need to marinate but this recipe would work for kids because it's slightly sweet but not sickeningly sweet so adults would also like. Chicken is delicious cold and you can freeze in the marinade.

I cook on my indoor grill.

Unbelievable Chicken
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Allrecipes.com
Serving Size: 6

Summary:

"This unusual combination of common ingredients is fabulous! Everyone who tastes it asks me to share the recipe. You will love it and the many compliments you get - I promise!"

Ingredients:

1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons prepared coarse-ground mustard
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 lime, juiced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions:

1. In a large glass bowl, mix the cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours, or overnight.

2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Discard marinade.

Esther23

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 6:03 pm
Plain chicken bottoms with skin under the broiler. Don't put too many spices because that will burn. It gets crispy and really tastes good.
Alternatively you can do something similar tasting but not as crispy and won't get as dry as the broiled one might get later on. Put plain chicken bottoms in a baking pan some with skin some without but the more chicken in the pan with skin the more flavor you'll get. Sprinkle them up with spices- I usually do the basics - salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and for those that like it, Montreal steak spice. I davka don't put onions or any liquid sauce because then there's too much moisture and it steams the chicken and you lose the shmaltzy crispy flavor. I bake covered for about 2 hours on 275 and then uncovered till top gets crispy. You can even leave some of the fat on the chicken and that really adds to the flavor. My kids love this.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 6:15 pm
Honey chicken - honey, soysauce, ketchup, garlic powder
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey