Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Anyone else? A different size shirt and pants.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 3:50 am
My 18 month old has a long torso and short legs. She needs a 24 month shirt or dress, very possibly 2T would also fit, but cannot fit into 24 month pants. (Wears 18 month size). I find that the best deals come in sets, but it's not so helpful if the pants that match the shirt don't fit or the other way around.

Anyone else have this? What do you do? I would also like ideas of stores that have cheap "separates" because that's probably the solution.

Mommy82

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 5:35 am
Not so uncommon- so don't worry!

Children's Place, GAP, Old Navy type stores sell things separately. If you don't have one near you, you can purchase online.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 6:38 am
Thanks!

I never looked so closely because the sets are better deals. But, they're really not if she doesn't end up wearing 24 mos. pants. My guess is by the time she needs them, it will be summer and it is rather hot where we live and will rarely wear pants. I'm hoping they'll last into the fall, but no expectations.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 9:52 am
Target, Walmart, and Kohl's also sell cheap seperates.

You may also do better with dresses and tights or tunics and leggings.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:04 am
rutabaga- I have a baby around the same age and she can sometimes even wear 2t shirts but she's been wearing mostly size 12 months pants. I've been wondering about the dress and tights route- is that as comfortable for the kid? I always figured let my kids wear pants as long as possible, let them be able to move and not be constricted or tripped by a skirt? is that not the case? size wise dresses are definitely easier. but then again then I'll have to buy tights and I have a TON of pants hand me downs....

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:37 am
I do dresses for my girls once they start walking. They never complained. They can last much longer if you get sleeveless ones with a sash that are long.
There are some really cute tights and leggings out there.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:44 am
Rutabaga and Jetblack, OP here.

The downside of dresses and tights is that they don't seem nearly as warm as a shirt + sweatshirt and pants with tights underneath.

Also, the way that my daughter is built, they all look so short on her like tunics. Can't figure out why. She's not that tall. Except for the "dressy" Carters ones. In the winter, it's not such a big deal b/c she's wearing tights or leggings, but in the summer, if I don't put on a diaper cover, she looks ridiculous. Maybe I need to go up a size? The dresses I've recently bought are 18-24 mos. and 24 mos. (Carters). Maybe a 2T would look better.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:58 am
lymnok- do you do that for "religious" reasons?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 11:05 am
op- many times dresses are "short" so girls end up wearing a bigger size in them if you want them a little longer. if you look online you'll see the magazines also have the models using them as "tunics"

busydev

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 11:09 am
My ds wore diff sizes till this year.
18mo pants, 24mo or 2t shirts
2t pants, 3t shirts
Started this year 3t pants and 4t shirts but now is 4t both tho the pants are a bit big still and the shirts are fitting nicely.
I buy new at kohls and target primarily. I also buy from a second hand store.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
lymnok- do you do that for "religious" reasons?

I think it's cute, easier to change diapers, versatile and I have religious leanings towards dresses. Wink

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
op- many times dresses are "short" so girls end up wearing a bigger size in them if you want them a little longer. if you look online you'll see the magazines also have the models using them as "tunics"

I kind of wish Carters and Old Navy/Gap would have them on models. I want to see what it's going to look like. They don't usually put the length in the specs. I love how just above the knee or touching the knee looks for spring and summer. I can't stand seeing her diaper and sometimes the diaper covers don't fit well either.

I wonder what a 2T would look like. It probably would work w/ SS, but not with long sleeves. Might work b/c summer is when I want a drop more length.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 12:08 pm
My daughter is chubby and she looked like she was in pjs if she wore tops and pants. She wore dresses from when she started walking, with another layer (turtleneck, cardigan) on top or underneath for warmth. She wore some of them with leggings and some with thick tights (only cute designs and prints, of course...)

Buy bigger size dresses and hem up to the precise diaper covering length. The wider fabric of the gathered or swing-style dress swaying on her little tushie was priceless!

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter is chubby and she looked like she was in pjs if she wore tops and pants. She wore dresses from when she started walking, with another layer (turtleneck, cardigan) on top or underneath for warmth. She wore some of them with leggings and some with thick tights (only cute designs and prints, of course...)

Buy bigger size dresses and hem up to the precise diaper covering length. The wider fabric of the gathered or swing-style dress swaying on her little tushie was priceless!

She sounds like a cutie!

It's so interesting how even tots have different shapes! My daughter is long and lanky. She did recently put on a few lbs. b"H, but she's not really chubby besides for her cheeks!

I don't know how to sew, but maybe if I can find someone affordable, it could be worth it because I can take it out when she grows instead of buying new clothes.

banana93

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 12:59 pm
Yup! I have the same thing, except my 13 month old is super skinny. He's at least one size smaller in pants than tops. You just have to buy everything separately... Im a huge fan of Gap, Carters, Old Navy, Zara... Good luck! Smile

bigblueyes

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:46 pm
banana93 wrote:
Yup! I have the same thing, except my 13 month old is super skinny. He's at least one size smaller in pants than tops. You just have to buy everything separately... Im a huge fan of Gap, Carters, Old Navy, Zara... Good luck! Smile

Likewise!!! My baby is a 6-9 in bottoms and a 12 month in tops... Also love gap,carters,h and m....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics