Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Houston
1  2  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 3:04 pm
Hi, does anyone here live in Houston? We are considering moving to Houston, and I'm wondering if it will be a good fit for us. We are not Yeshivish, but not MO, kind of somewhere in between. (I guess some people call that RWMO?) The shul that we daven at now is a mix of different people with different hashkafas but everyone gets along. We love that, but are looking to relocate for various reasons. Is there a shul in Houston similar to that? What is the Young Israel like?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 4:59 pm
I live in Houston and the way you just described yourself is spot on for what the Young Israel is like. There are a handful of yeshivish and MO families too, but the majority of the people that live here would probably describe themselves just as you did.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 5:44 pm
Awesome. I'm really glad to hear that. What school do these people generally send their kids to?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 6:02 pm
A majority of the Young Israel families send their kids to Yeshiva Torat Emet
http://www.ytehouston.org/

There is also a MO school - which most people would describe as very left-wing MO
www.berenacademy.org

and a Chabad school
http://www.tdshouston.org/

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 6:36 pm
Ok cool. That's what I thought from searching online, but just wanted to verify. Thanks!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 8:04 pm
Another question: are there apartments walking distance to the shul? I haven't been able to find any online.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 9:53 pm
Yes.
West Bellfort Condominiums

The difference in price between a 2 bedroom apartment and 3 bedroom house is only $200-300 a month

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:18 pm
Thanks. Good to know.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 10:21 pm
check out http://www.movetohouston.org/

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:16 pm
Have you checked out the Braesridge Apartments? It appears to be .8 miles to Young Israel & .3 miles to Chabad Center [however in opposite directions]

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:59 pm
greenfire wrote:
Have you checked out the Braesridge Apartments? It appears to be .8 miles to Young Israel & .3 miles to Chabad Center [however in opposite directions]

Thanks for the suggestion - it appears that that is a senior living community though- not quite what we're looking for! Smile

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
check out http://www.movetohouston.org/

Thank you for posting this. I think we are going to try to plan a visit within the next few weeks to check out the community- in particular Young Israel and Torat Emet. Is it better if we contact the YI office or go through the email address listed on the movetohouston website?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 1:23 pm
greenfire wrote:

amother wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion - it appears that that is a senior living community though- not quite what we're looking for! Smile

Houston we've got a problem ...

there are apartments on Braesridge Drive, obviously I didn't mean the senior living ... I can vouch there are young couples living there as I myself know several.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:51 pm
Hmmm I'll have to look into that. I don't see anything online. Thanks!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 3:53 pm
Email through the move to houston site.

as far as braesridge you have to call them for under 55 availability, there are many young couples in that complex.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 4:23 pm
I live in Houston- the young frum couples I know live in the West Bellfort condominiums, not the Braesridge apartments.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 12:54 pm
well you learn new things ... the several young couples I know do live with the elderly - it's just a building & not the same apartment - they seem to be happy

do old people scare you ~ BOO !!!

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 1:58 pm
Lol no! But what I saw on the website made it seem like under 55 are not welcome. I will look into it again. Looks like we had to postpone our trip, so I have put the research on hold, but I will definitely revisit it when the time comes!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 2:26 pm
I'm sure there are many apartments on Braesbridge Rd ~ perhaps I can get more specific info of the management so you know the complex/apartments

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:50 am
Dear OP: I don't mean to hijack your discussion so let me know if you want me to create a new thread. But I have questions about relocating to Houston and thought I'd keep it all here for anyone else looking for info...

I am also "RWMO" and looking for a similar & less expensive community to relocate to... Can anyone tell me the range of housing prices in the area of Young Israel and the schools? We could spend up to $1million on a house - what could we get for that? What are taxes like? What is the neighborhood/environment like? Is the community growing? How many kosher markets? I just started researching so please share any and all info! Thank you so much!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating