Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Difficulty finding the right stuff to help organize
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 9:50 pm
Also would like to not spend a fortune, so no container store please. I am also fine with improvising if you have a good idea of how to repurpose something else or make your own whatever...
I've been bitten by an organizing bug, probably something about staying inside a lot now that it's winter. Here are some ideas I had, maybe you can give me a lead:

1. I would love to store my kids' crayons/markers/scissors/glue/etc in some kind of drawer thing where you can remove each drawer individually. So you can just take out the crayon drawer, put it on the table while you're using the crayons, and then return the whole thing straight into the drawer set. But all the sets of mini-drawers I have found you can't take out the drawers. WHY is this so hard to find? It's such a simple, useful idea!
So for now I have these things in little baskets or kid-size shoeboxes in individual cubbyhole-sized shelves (an interesting unit that I picked off the curb and has come in quite handy!) but each one is taking up only about half of its hole and it seems it would be much more efficient to have them layered better.

2. Some time ago I bought a pack of about 5 or 6 plastic bins that are about (but not exactly, I think) half the size of those ubiquitous 6-qt sterilite shoebox sized containers. They turned out to be totally perfect for all kinds of things, especially toys with pieces that aren't enough to need a whole big shoebox-sized box but do well being contained in some kind of box. I could go with half size in height so they stack better and also have more room to rummage for your piece without dumping everything out, but half size in length like what I have now should also be somewhat helpful.

3. I would also love to buy more of the shoebox-sized ones, but online, on the cheap. In the past I always bought at Target, something like 5 for $6 I think. But they aren't available online and Target is a shlep from where I live. Anywhere else I'm seeing online is significantly more.

4. I need something for sorting papers, not just my own which I really just need to get more on top of, but especially my kids' - scrap paper, fresh white paper, construction paper, so they can take what they need without making a mess each time. Desk-top paper tray things are so expensive! Why?! Anyone know where I can find something like this for under $10? Please tell me I'm not dreaming?

5. Something to help with kids' books. We had talked about book bins on another thread, but again, so expensive! I am assuming that regular magazine holders are going to be too small for many of the kids' books though? Any experiences to verify or deny this?

6. Something to go on the wall above the back of my desk-counter-workspace to store various chargers, cords, chargers, flash drives, chargers, wireless mouse... No room for a shoebag but something like shoebag-size pockets that will stay up on the wall. I tried plastic baggies and they seemed like a good solution except they wouldn't stay up. So I'd like maybe a horizontal row of (or separate) 6 shoebag-style pockets, clear, with some way of sticking to a wall and not falling down under the weight of chargers et al. I guess if I can find a cheap shoebag I can cut it up and then how do you suggest sticking it?

Think there's any way I could organize all of the above under $100? I did put some toys in real shoeboxes instead of waiting for the plastic ones. I just need to take and print pictures to label them because my kids have no idea where things are now. But the OCD in me still doesn't like how all the shoeboxes are slightly (or more than slightly) different sizes and designs.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:00 pm
for sorting papers, repurpose some grocery delivery boxes. a lot of the overpriced ones on the market are corrugated cardboard anyway. you can cover the cardboard in contact paper to make it look pretty. it shouldn't cost much.

as for the other stuff, I recommend you go to a local discount store. I find ".99" stores (like anything costs that little anymore...) very useful for organizing things.

HelloG

Re number one. There's definitely such a thing cuz my mom has it. And uses it for exactly that purpose

SingALong

I recently bought clear plastic shoebox size containers by Walmart for $.97 each. I use it for my pantry mostly but also tons of toys. They'd prob be good for crafts like crayons, glues, scissors, etc but they're too small for paper.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:04 pm
Mummiedearest, how do you translate grocery box into paper sorter - lots of duct tape?
Unfortunately my local 99c stores have been a major dud at this kind of thing.

AmGold, any idea what brand your mom's is or where she got it?!!!

SingALong, thanks, I am going to check if WalMart ships them. Target is only available in store and Amazon is overpriced...

mommyla

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:10 pm
If you have a Chr!stmas Tree Shops nearby, they often have cheap lidded storage boxes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:25 pm
4 -- Sorting papers.

How many compartments do you need? For under $10 you can get a tray for 3 sections: http://amzn.to/1kZ1w3D
This is $12 for 8 but I assume you can make your own if you are so inclined with cardboard like mummiedearest said. I personally would spend the $12 and save my time. http://amzn.to/1mORROX

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:26 pm
For toys, I use Sterilite drawers and they do pull out all the way if you tug enough. I have one drawer of magformers, one of card games, one with independent games (like rush hour), etc...so not all of them need to be completely pulled out, but for things like Magformers, we do pull it out all the way.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:30 pm
Wander around a Staples or stationery store. See what catches your eye. An accordion file might be interesting. Big huge clips might be of interest. The ones with a hole in the handle can hang on the wall. Get a box of labels. You will be labeling and re-labeling. Or just some index cards, a scissors, and some scotch tape, and a laundry marker or any felt tip pen.

There are clips that have a magnet. There are clips that have two pins that stick into a fabric wall, or curtain.

If you get a staple gun and some ribbon, you can make a criss-cross grid on the wall, that you can slip papers or files into.

If you assign each kid his own official color, you can keep their papers separate that way. Get a set of Sharpie colored pens and put them up way high so only you can use them, not the kids. Label his file with "his" color pen. You can also get a box of mixed-color file folders, and use the kid's color for his papers.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:31 pm
What are you currently using for the craft stuff? Sterilite drawers do have a stop but can also come out completely if you pull a little more, and something like this would seem perfect (depending on the amount of stuff in each category) http://amzn.to/1Od3M1J

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:31 pm
For your own papers, an accordion file might be helpful.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:32 pm
I tried the sterilite mini-drawers in the store and they were shaped so as not to pull out - the back of the drawer is wider than the frame of the front of the unit. Maybe you're talking about the larger drawers? I'm thinking about the right size to hold markers in one, crayons in one, scissors in one...

Thanks for the links too.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:40 pm
Re. the papers, my filing is fine, I don't need an accordion, I have file drawers and use them pretty well. It's the stuff that is on top of my desk which I need at my fingertips for using because they're part of current projects or need to be dealt with tomorrow - not today, so I can't just store/discard them yet, but if I put it in a file then I'll have to go digging it out again, not so convenient... It's not tons but it does need holding.

The papers for kids I'm talking about unused papers - supplies. Plain paper, colored paper, etc. Their finished projects are a different story, more or less under control for now.

minnie mouse

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:45 pm
http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-R.....9RS5D

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:47 pm
minnie mouse wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Removeable-Storage-Drawer-Organizer/dp/B00359HJTS/ref=pd_sim_229_28?ie=UTF8&dpID=51mpPDaBG2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0Q8RB9WSY4D0GP59RS5D

OK you might have just WON imamother today. And the price is ok too. Very Happy Cheers

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:50 pm
This is cool for books (get bigger crates). My mother had a bunch of crates stacked up to make a desk for me (piece of wood on top with contact paper). Bad idea, since I stuffed whatever I felt like in the crates, but if they were hung up ala shelves maybe I'd have used them for books instead of random school papers. http://www.hometalk.com/560837.....fUZYP

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:51 pm
seeker wrote:

3. I would also love to buy more of the shoebox-sized ones, but online, on the cheap. In the past I always bought at Target, something like 5 for $6 I think. But they aren't available online and Target is a shlep from where I live. Anywhere else I'm seeing online is significantly more.

Dollar Tree - they have clear in-store, didn't see online but didn't really check
https://www.dollartree.com/hou.....earch

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:53 pm
seeker wrote:
OK you might have just WON imamother today. And the price is ok too. Very Happy Cheers

This great for crayon and gluesticks, but I don't think pencils and markers would fit. Most of the drawers I see like this are tiny Sad

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:54 pm
seeker wrote:

4. I need something for sorting papers, not just my own which I really just need to get more on top of, but especially my kids' - scrap paper, fresh white paper, construction paper, so they can take what they need without making a mess each time. Desk-top paper tray things are so expensive! Why?! Anyone know where I can find something like this for under $10? Please tell me I'm not dreaming?

6. Something to go on the wall above the back of my desk-counter-workspace to store various chargers, cords, chargers, flash drives, chargers, wireless mouse... No room for a shoebag but something like shoebag-size pockets that will stay up on the wall. I tried plastic baggies and they seemed like a good solution except they wouldn't stay up. So I'd like maybe a horizontal row of (or separate) 6 shoebag-style pockets, clear, with some way of sticking to a wall and not falling down under the weight of chargers et al. I guess if I can find a cheap shoebag I can cut it up and then how do you suggest sticking it?

4. http://mycolortopia.com/blog/w.....s.jpg

or, my father built something like this in his home office
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000.....04-20

5. Amazon or Target for shoe organizer. double-sided tape? velcro?

did you search pinterest for "craft organization" etc? you will find loads of DIY

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 10:55 pm
seeker wrote:
Re. the papers, my filing is fine, I don't need an accordion, I have file drawers and use them pretty well. It's the stuff that is on top of my desk which I need at my fingertips for using because they're part of current projects or need to be dealt with tomorrow - not today, so I can't just store/discard them yet, but if I put it in a file then I'll have to go digging it out again, not so convenient... It's not tons but it does need holding.

The papers for kids I'm talking about unused papers - supplies. Plain paper, colored paper, etc. Their finished projects are a different story, more or less under control for now.

Mini sterilite drawers should hold letter sized papers. I actually have a stackable set that is perfect sized from Target clearance (not Sterilite, each drawer was on its own) but I can't figure out what brand it is!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics