Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Living in Israel? What would you like from US?
1  2  Next

my80

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 12:59 pm
We're (hopefully) coming to Israel for a week stay. Not actually staying at my brothers but eating shabbos meals etc.
I would love to bring them something nice from US.
Any ideas? What would you like?

I've seen old threads and I'm not looking for silverfoil us nosh ideas etc. More a gift item.

Thanks!

November

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 1:05 pm
I received 2 gifts from US that I liked- not fancy but useful. One was a set of those plastic cutting boards in red, green and blue. Another was a set of serving pieces. Maybe a toy for their kids?

smss

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 1:14 pm
Do they have kids? What ages?
When I lived in Israel I would have appreciated kids' clothes and/or toys. They're more expensive and lower quality in Israel.
You definitely don't have to bring food or nosh- Israel has plenty! ;-)

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 1:16 pm
my80 wrote:
We're (hopefully) coming to Israel for a week stay. Not actually staying at my brothers but eating shabbos meals etc.
I would love to bring them something nice from US.
Any ideas? What would you like?

I've seen old threads and I'm not looking for silverfoil us nosh ideas etc. More a gift item.

Thanks!

A small package LOL Twisted Evil

Seriously, be careful!

Mother 4

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 1:56 pm
Definitely toys/games for the kids.

my80

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 2:01 pm
Just a point though, I have no idea what toys and games they already have...
and their son just had his upsherin so who knows what he got for presents...
I guess I can try and have someone 'spy' and tell me what they have already

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 2:26 pm
November wrote:
I received 2 gifts from US that I liked- not fancy but useful. One was a set of those plastic cutting boards in red, green and blue. Another was a set of serving pieces. Maybe a toy for their kids?
Just to let you know Wink I bought just such cutting boards here in Israel. I think it was even in rami levi Smile

OP, maybe there is some food or nosh that your brother misses and you could bring him that?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 2:45 pm
American hot dogs

AinOdMilvado

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 4:09 pm
Laffy Taffys (not the small which you can get here but tangy taffy big kind), Fruit Leather, Candy Corn

Pizza Bagels

Corn on the Cob (too buggy here to be allowed to eat)

Shabbos dish sponges (the kind with the handle that comes in blue & red), they cost at least 30 shekel each here for a knock off brand

I've gotten in the past the Vtech camera with games for a 5-8 year old. Board games that you can't get here can be a hit too (stratego, quiddler, etc)

But for everyone it's subjective, ASK THEM!! the best gifts were when my brother actually asked what each one likes and tried to get something specific to each one...

Enjoy your trip! Smile

...and it's really nice of you, I'm sure they'll really appreciate whatever you bring!

Rose816

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 4:12 pm
I personally would love makeup from America, because it can be a little expensive here Tongue Out

Maybe some fun board games, books.

Good luck! I'm sure they'll appreciate whatever you get! Smile

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 4:58 pm
Coffee! It's the one thing we still import. Dh gets Tim Hortons in from Canada and I go for Starbucks from the States. If they're coffee drinkers, it's definitely something to consider.

As for the kids, certain toys here are insanely expensive. Things like Legos, Playmobile, and Magformers are great because it doesn't matter if you have already, you can always have more.

fluffernutter

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 5:34 pm
I would ask them what they would want brought in. Personally, I have a laundry list of things I still want from America. We had a family member come in recently and I was so excited for all the stuff they brought - deodorant, makeup, hand cream, coffee....nothing that's a real necessity, but its more expensive/less quality here. And nice extras.

Even for something bigger, ask them what they want. Its way better than trying to figure out what they want and getting something they wont use, and will be frustrated you spent the weight on that!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 6:14 pm
If they have an Amazon wish list, buy some English language books for them. They are really expensive here, and in some places the English section of the library is very limited.

Can you tell us more about the family, kids, etc. so we can give you more specific ideas?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 6:14 pm
My sister brought me a pleather tablecloth for my dining room which I still really enjoy! Just need to Figure out what color and size of table

LisaS

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:04 am
Legos, maganatiles, classic boardgames are sure to be winners.

Agree with the above to ask them if they are supermarket/Target items that they want.

English books for the kids?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:47 am
My American wish list includes: electronics (depending on what is broken at the time things like mp3 player, hair cutting machine, etc. are much cheaper), medicines + various pharmacy things (benadryl , tylenol, etc.. pads (like 1/4 of the price), deodorant , desitin, etc.;
toys, books, puzzles, especially music toys;
random plastic containers

sped

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:49 am
Space in your luggage is what I would most appreciate.
(When are you coming?? How much room do you have? You can pm me! Wink

ramateshkolmom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 6:09 am
Maybe they want american cold cuts! or american drugs! Thats my wishlist Smile you can offer to bring what they need and on the side, get a game or two or books for the kids. English language games and books are quite expesive here. Enjoy your trip!!

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 6:59 am
deodorant. quality towels. clothing for the kids, but I would want to order that so its my taste. books for the kids. ibuprofen and acetaminophen for adults in huge bottles. matchbox cars. small lego sets. playmobil. and like sped said, the ability to order what I want/need

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:28 am
My vote is for a fitbit- who wouldn't want a fitbit?!
A- They're super small for your luggage
B- If they exercise all the time and walk its fun to know how much you actually walked etc. AND if someone is overweight-like me, then it will get them motivated to walk more...

Just a suggestion.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics