Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Anyone Have Experience in Cleaning Quilted Bed Spreads

Butterfly

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 8:56 am
that are quite heavy, double lined, and has top stitching in quilted design and ruffles on all four sides hanging to the floor.
The ruffles are not quilted.

It's all in one piece and therefore quite heavy in weight.

Even if it were safe to launder, it would never fit in a regular washing machine and therefore I'm wondering if would be safe to wash it in a commercial wash machine at a laundromat which may or may not have a large enough capacity for it... What and may or may not have a gentle cycle option? What Anyone familiar?

Either way will have to check it all out in advance.
Wait.. is there still such a thing as a laundromat in boro park?? if yes; Where??

Or does it need to be strictly dry cleaned?

How about chinese laundry? Probably very expensive Mad

Another concern; I have no ides if it will need major ironing which would be almost impossible for me to handle because of it's heavy weight and especially because of the tons of fabric within the ruffles.

Or might I be lucky and it won't need ironing if I place it on the bed (protected with towels of course) immediately after removing it from the machine and molding it back to shape?
I don't mind to do bits and pieces of ironing here and there if it's just mildly creased.

I'm not concerned at all about some shrinkage since it's quite a bit over-sized anyways.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Butterfly

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 8:33 pm
bumped'y bump Smile

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 11:13 pm
Go for the laundromat. Indeed they have options and some of their machines are quite large. You might risk damage to your home machine if it cannot handle your load. Use 2 machines.

Do NOT over dry them. I would then iron those ruffles while the majority rests on the bed due to that weight.

Butterfly

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:15 am
Greenie, thanks for responding Smile

Glad I finally got the go ahead to launder it myself - at laundromat of course.

I wasn't too eager to invest $$$ for some old fashioned pieces that's been out of style for decades even though I think they're really pretty.

I especially adore those because they've got sentimental value... and therefore decided to make use of those again in one of the bedrooms as a decoration..

Oh and I was definitely gonna wash those in two separate 'commercial' machines.
I'll be lucky if just a single piece will fit in properly enough to do the job...

About the ironing; If needed, I would definitely do as you suggested, while the spreads are on the bed. Actually those were my thoughts as well... Great minds think alike! Mr. Green
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry