Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami or Mishpacha and Why?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 7:27 am
Which magazine do you prefer to read and why?

I have heard mentioned that the writing level of Jewish magazines aren't up to par. Can anyone specify?

Thanks

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 8:13 am
Mishpacha.
I dont have a subscription to any of them at this point.
But I read them occasionally at other people.
Mishpacha is more varied and in general is more well-written than the Ami.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 8:52 am
I like mishpacha the best. I think the writing is just fine and the topics are interesting. I like the ami living more then the ami main magazine and the kids one bothers me quite a bit.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:06 am
mha3484 wrote:
I like mishpacha the best. I think the writing is just fine and the topics are interesting. I like the ami living more then the ami main magazine and the kids one bothers me quite a bit.

Why?

My issue with the Ami is the sensationalism. There is also usually an agenda. Of course the Mishpacha has its own agenda and it can get tiresome to read certain articles, but generally the literary quality of the Mishpacha is nice.

I do like Rabbi Shais Taub in the Ami sometimes, but not always. They have some other good column, too, but the serials I like the Mishpacha's better.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:19 am
I don't read any of them but I've read occasionally. Definitely Mishpacha over Ami. Ami is sensationalist and inflammatory, and frankly, I don't understand why they haven't been boycotted yet.

It's true that the writing, editing and graphic standards of frum magazines are way below non-frum ones.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:23 am
I prefer the Ami. Rabbi Shais Taub, Dina Neuman and Turx are great. I like the family first too, but I have no interest in the Mishpacha itself.

Stars

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:46 am
Definitely mishpacha. I dislike the Ami for a host of reasons, but mostly because of their medical articles.

The aim bothers everyone I know. The serials in there mostly.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:57 am
Stars wrote:
Definitely mishpacha. I dislike the Ami for a host of reasons, but mostly because of their medical articles.

My kids are too young for it but the preteens I know who read it love it. I remember I was pretty impressed with the quality of information when they first came out but I admit I never paid much attention to the serials. Could you elaborate?

devash1

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:04 am
I prefer Mishpacha, I find the articles in Ami are more political and I usually just read the end of the magazine which is less political especially because I'm in Israel.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:39 am
Stars wrote:

I used to love "Meet the Milsteins". I miss it. I don't read the other serials.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:42 am
Stars wrote:

What?!!! I love the aim! And I love Dina neumans sense of humor.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:43 am
I have an extremely bright 5 year old who loves when we read him the kid magazines. Mishpacha Jr is great. The AIM has topics that I think are not okay like Cecil the Lion. That was a shabbos that I wont forget anytime soon. I also feel like the tone of writing and choice of words is not what I want him to copy.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:44 am
Neither, I dad Zman. No politics, few ads and full length articles that are written well. I feel they are actually worth saving.

das

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:56 am
mha3484 wrote:
I have an extremely bright 5 year old who loves when we read him the kid magazines. Mishpacha Jr is great. The AIM has topics that I think are not okay like Cecil the Lion. .

What could possibly be wrong with Cecil the Lion?

I find Aim! to be a very intelligent magazine, definitely not for 5 year olds. Mishpacha was a good read when I read it years ago but I hardly ever read it lately because frankly, I'm behind on my non-Jewish mags so I dont have much of an opinion.

edited to remove possible lh.

Last edited by das on Wed, Jan 13 2016, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:01 am
Its obviously subjective and a lot of it is personal preference but I didn't feel my child needed to know about killing for enjoyment as a hobby.

das

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:05 am
You have a problem with your child knowing about the concept of hunting?! Presumably he learnt about Eisav hunting, no?

I guess I can start a spin-off re sheltering kids... Back to the topic at hand.

Stars

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:09 am
NThe aim recently had a creepy serial about a 19 year old spy and a couple who would hide stolen babies. I have no idea how it ended but I found it very distasteful.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:12 am
I subscribe to (and read) both, but highly prefer Mishpacha. As others have said, I find Ami to be rather sensationalist. But I am always looking for kosher reading, so I'll likely continue reading it. If I had to cut out one subscription though (I also subscribe to Binah and Hamodia), it is Ami that I would drop.

Stars

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:17 am
I absolutely adore dina neuman's style though even if the plot doesn't agree with me.

bigblueyes

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:47 am
I read them all. Ami mishpacha binah hamodia. Hamodia ma g azine is def the classiest. The aim I find creepy- I always think ew I wouldnt want my theoretical kids reading this!! And im not the sheltering type. Non jewish books will be fine etc. But aim just has weird articles and info.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room