Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami or Mishpacha and Why?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Moonlight

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:49 am
I'll read both but prefer Ami. Much more interesting than Mishpacha.
The editing in all Jewish magazines needs work. I cringe too often when reading.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 2:36 pm
The Ami is a tabloid magazine. If I preferred that type of material, I'd opt for non jewish material. Mishpacha is definitely finer in its choice of material and topics in general. Sorry, but no more Ami for me, unless they clean up their act.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 3:03 pm
Neither.

I don't know how anybody even mildly intelligent reads either.

howru2day

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 3:04 pm
I prefer the mishpacha for their intellectual writing more than any other magazine.

I wouldn't give up the Ami though. I feel like they broach specific topics of interest that any other magazine wouldn't dare do. They show courage and confidence.

The aim! Is definitely not for very young kids but I think they are just great for preteens and teens. The language used there is real "teen talk". Though I do agree that the spy serial is not necessarily appropriate as a different poster comments.

But for the most part I'd say on every magazine there will be parts that are questionable.

And I wonder if there is a publication to be found without an agenda. I highly doubt that.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 3:06 pm
From those two, I like the Mishpacha main magazine better than the Ami magazine.
And I like the Ami Living better than the Family First.
DD likes the Aim better than the Mishpacha kids/teens magazines.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 3:30 pm
We much prefer the writing quality in Mishpacha.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 4:09 pm
[quote="mha3484"] [b]the kids one bothers me quite a bit.[/quote][/b]

I thought I was crazy but I am so happy to see someone with the same words that was in my head.

I cant put my finger on it. but the rest of the magazine is really not my taste. not stuff I wanto read on shabbos, it has a lot of disturbing stuff and I know some teenagers reading that stuff is disturbing. the rabbi shais taub is good for adults but not that kids should get their hands on.

I think it has a lot of senstionalism and its not for my type of home. I have also see pictures in there that were borderline. I mean for jewish I expected better then that. its ok for a secualr paper tho.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 4:29 pm
I didnt like the ami when it first came out, we like it now though...
I didnt like the mishpach either the first time I bought the english one while I was still living in israel about 10 ,11 years ago now we love it... frum publications take time to evolve I guess. But look at the jewish observer that had to stop publishing because its writing was on to high a level that most of this generation was comfortable reading for leisure. The publications have to reflect the masses
Anyway what about the aim do you not like. I dont read it cover to cover weekly but my children seem to like it

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 5:01 pm
I find Mishpacha to be more intelligent reading than Ami, but sometimes even topics in Mishpacha seem lacking.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 5:05 pm
howru2day wrote:
I prefer the mishpacha for their intellectual writing more than any other magazine.

I wouldn't give up the Ami though. I feel like they broach specific topics of interest that any other magazine wouldn't dare do. They show courage and confidence.

The aim! Is definitely not for very young kids but I think they are just great for preteens and teens. The language used there is real "teen talk". Though I do agree that the spy serial is not necessarily appropriate as a different poster comments.

But for the most part I'd say on every magazine there will be parts that are questionable.

And I wonder if there is a publication to be found without an agenda. I highly doubt that.

A clear agenda is easier to deal with than one that is murky, whatever-we-can-get-away-with.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:06 pm
Totally Ami!!!!!
I find the writing in mishpacha so predictable and cliche. You only think it's written well if you are frum. And you like wordy writing.
Ami is so interesting, and as for sensationalism, I don't see how it is any worse that mishpacha. In fact, I feel that the editors are trying not to rely on the typical sensational topics we are all bored of and worn out fiction stories.
As for the writing in Ami, I don't think it's perfection but its certainly not as bad as people say. Sometimes you'll have one article which was clearly not up to their regular standard, but those are usually found in the Our Days submissions. Also sometimes I find something disturbing hashkafically in the main magazine, but the rest of the articles are fine.
I just think they are more creative and fun. I love the business section.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:08 pm
Ami.
And all kids and teens I know love the aim!

rockingbells

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:10 pm
In terms of the ladies magazines (Family First and Ami Living), Ami is superior. Whenever I end up reading the Mishpacha one I remember why I really don't like it. Really, really, really cliche. Articles that are just rambles. Not that the editing in Ami is thorough or anything.

STovah

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:15 pm
I liked the Ami's recipes better than the other magazines, but I haven't bought an Ami in a long time. Like a previous poster, I like the Hamodia magazine best (also happens to be the cheapest).

dalia1

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:32 pm
Neither- until they start including women's faces.

baltomom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:42 pm
We get the Mishpacha and overall enjoy both the main magazine and Family First. A few times that I borrowed Ami I did not like it--found some of the writing/language to be somewhat crude.... And I asked a neighbor to stop giving my kids Aim when I read the creepy serial about teenage girls disappearing (kidnapped?) Not material I wanted my kids reading.

mom2cutee

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 8:27 am
I like FYI Magazine for all the above reasons mentioned. It is a new home and lifestyle magazine and is purely informational, and open minded. This means no sob stories, no sensationalism. I actually have a link to the past issue if anyone wants to see it here. (http://midd.me/3DPz)

sky

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 8:45 am
I actually like Hamodia the best.

But am currently purchasing the Ami most weeks, gives me a lot reading. I don't think too much into it. Some parts of the AIM are interesting for young kids, and some are not appropriate. (I was very suprised they had the word Hell on the cover page describing hot underground wonders, its not a word I'd like my young children to be comfortable using, and I don't think it has to be used to describe hot underground places when it isn't necessary a Jewish concept).

I find the photography in the Ami to be pretty bad, don't like the angles and close ups of peoples faces. I find the Mishpacha always does a better job in that area.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 9:24 am
I don't like the Ami because of the political agenda.
I don't think that Americans are as aware of the Israeli charedi politics which mishpacha and ami push (mishpacha on one side and ami on the other).
I guess I just am more on the mishpacha end of the politics-so it grates on me less.
The quality of the writing on all frum magazines is pretty low in my opinion

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 9:31 am
Ami fan here.

Love the personal stories in all 3 mags of ami, love the truth and consequences, medical articles, and WHISK rocks!

I'm embarrassed to admit I actually really enjoy aim, although I also wouldn't give it to my kids.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room