Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How do you cook?
1  2  Next

what do you cook?
Gourmet dinners  
 13%  [ 7 ]
Comfort food  
 86%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 53

Ihatepotatoes

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:31 pm
What is your/your families preferred supper?

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:40 pm
Chicken soup and shnitsel😃 one ds especially will eat rice cake and peanut butter, or cold cereal if I don't have shnitsel...
For milchig some will eat scrambled eggs...

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:46 pm
Something in between

Moonlight

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 8:36 pm
If DH won't be home for dinner, we go simple : macaroni or fish sticks or meal mart shnitzel from the freezer. All with cut veggies/fruit
If DH is home I will always serve a protein, starch, and veggie.
If I really have extra time I enjoy going gourmet but kids won't touch it Rolling Eyes

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:09 pm
Not enough choices. I love making gourmet but time doesn't allow it and kids don't like it. So abt once or twice a month I give it and make half gourmet. I need to keep myself motivated in the kitchen. Otherwise it's very simple. My kids favorite supper is plain old fashioned baked chicken, no sauces, no nothing, just basic onion garlic salt, and noodles/kethup.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:39 pm
Both. Depends greatly on occasions, company I am having and what I feel like cooking. Having said that, we don't cook meat midweek and use up shabbat leftover till Monday or sometimes Tuesday.

Also we like gourmet comfort food. Like properly made mac and cheese.

gittelchana

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 12:03 am
Preferred supper is usually things that are easy to make. But I don't shy away from gourmet food for DH and I. So I don't really fit in the two choices given.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 6:48 am
During the week I like to make hearty, "one bowl" meals, like crock pot recipes. I save fussing around with a main and several side dishes for Shabbos. I'm also lazy about washing up, so I like to keep it simple. Wink

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 9:10 am
Gourmet. I love cooking & trying out new recipes.
The kids love it too.
No way could I get away with Mac & cheese ever.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 9:15 am
I cook comfort food in a gourmet style!

Pizza delux
Macaroni and cheese infused with butternut squash ( jar of baby food)
Cocoa Biscuits ( chocolate cookies with yep again... baby food peas in it)

Althought the other day I made dal, indian style veggies. 3/5 of us enjoyed it (hooray!)

Blue jay

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 9:22 am
Also wanted to share that my son mistakingly thought I said I made "pizza De Locks" for dinner and began to protest.

We had a good laugh, he thought I put locks on the pizza, but for a second there I almost considered that idea LOL Sounds interesting.... ( like a great big Bagel pizza instead of pizza bagel!)

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 10:15 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
I cook comfort food in a gourmet style!

Pizza delux
Macaroni and cheese infused with butternut squash ( jar of baby food)
Cocoa Biscuits ( chocolate cookies with yep again... baby food peas in it)

Althought the other day I made dal, indian style veggies. 3/5 of us enjoyed it (hooray!)

That's an interesting idea! does it change the flavor much? do you think picky kids would go for it?

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 12:35 pm
I have an international palate, but go for easy-to-make dishes. I have a BIG spice cabinet!

Turmeric-garlic chicken with cashews and peas over couscous
Fajitas/tacos
Stir fry/fried rice in a million and one variations (tofu/chicken/seitan/scrambled eggs; snow peas/bok choy/broccoli/spinach; basil/peanuts/lemon zest/sesame seeds/fresh ginger and scallions, etc.)
Chicken garam masala

etc.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 12:53 pm
basyisr0el wrote:
That's an interesting idea! does it change the flavor much? do you think picky kids would go for it?

Kids dont suspect a thing! I make a rue of lowfat milk, shredded chedder, some real mayo, 2 jars of baby food butternut squash, dash of mustard powder, onion powder, garlic and salt and pepper. Mix in sauce pan until it resembles a nice smooth orange cheese sauce. Add 2 spoonfuls of white flour to the milk when starting so the cheese wont clump. Stir with fork. Then add to small noodles.

My kids think this is the best mac and cheese ever. Smile Its a meal in one! Starch, veggie and protein!

Rappel

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:06 am
Healthy comfort food?

If it takes longer than a half-hour to prep the whole shebang, then it's not going on my table.

Ain li Koach! Wink

PurpleHeart

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 12:27 pm
I like to cook basic/comfort food, yet I try presenting it nicely/differently, so it shouldn't get boring...
I also try switching up the sides to add variety...

pingo

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 1:05 pm
I like to make a starchy soup, a protein, and a salad for main meal of the day
About the clean up afterwards, I cook in foil pans including the soup and through it all away when im done.
That leaves me with a spoon or two to wash away. Not much

PurpleHeart

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 1:30 pm
[quote="pingo"]I like to make a starchy soup, a protein, and a salad for main meal of the day
About the clean up afterwards, I cook in foil pans including the soup and through it all away when im done.
That leaves me with a spoon or two to wash away. Not much[/quote]

I find that when I cook soup in foil, it always spills somehow when I'm trying to serve....
Any advice on that?

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:21 am
it all depends on the day ... the mood ... the budget ... the guest ... the occasion

there is no one way I cook

I can cook a gourmet breakfast oatmeal with groats & apples & cinnamon & other fruit

I can cook a plain dinner with rice & a can of sardines

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:21 am
Depends on the day, week, month, budget wise and exhaustion wise.
In general I make a nice supper but not gourmet. We range from pasta and cheese, pitta pizza and french fries, falafel and salad to roast chicken with roast potatoes, schnitzel and rice, meatballs and spaghetti.

So yeah, depends on a lot of factors.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics