Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Nightmares of buggies??

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:11 pm
DD4 has woken up in the middle of the night 3 nights running, terrified of weird bug dreams she had. Tonight she was crying that a lot of bumblebees were flying into her ear, last night it was that bugs flew in through a crack in the door, and the night before she was convinced there were bugs crawling in her bed. This happened a few other times in the past few weeks.

Why is this happening, and how do I help her??

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:18 pm
Sounds like night terrors. Speak to the pediatrician.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:52 pm
Thanks for your input- what do I say to the ped? It's not the kind of issue I have ever brought up to a pediatrician. Do I ask over the phone or make an appt?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 5:34 am
Before she goes to sleep, ask her where they are, how the get in, how to get them out and stop them from coming back. Do whatever she says even if it feels silly. Get every last one.
A night light could help.

Believe her. In her mind they exist and are there. You will be giving her real trust and support that every child needs- especially from mom.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 5:40 am
I actually remember this age in myself, as well as DD. It's totally normal to start between 3 and 5 yo.

I agree with lymnok, 100%.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 7:20 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your input- what do I say to the ped? It's not the kind of issue I have ever brought up to a pediatrician. Do I ask over the phone or make an appt?

Just call over the phone. They will reassure and give you some tips to hel her.

mommy27

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 9:50 am
Two of my daughters had the same problem. I "made" a special spray (slightly soapy water) that I told the first kept buggies out. For the second one, I ended up using a room spray instead, so she could smell it working if she woke up during the night. If you do that, make sure it's cheap and that you actually like the smell (and so do her roommates). They believed that this could work, because sometimes I would actually use Windex or something like that to kill a fly on a window or ants on the floor, so they knew spray was buggy poison.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 14 2016, 9:56 am
I called and am waiting for a call back, thanks.
So sad for her. Although she totally doesn't remember today. I asked her what she dreamed about, (she often talks about what she 'dreamed,' which I think she generally fabricates on the spot Smile ) and she has in the past told us she dreamed about bugsm but today she said "not buggies! I dont remember my dream but there werent any buggies, yay!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers