Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Which is the lesser of two evils? (re- cooking vs planning)
1  2  Next

Which don't you like to do?
cooking the meal  
 37%  [ 41 ]
planning the meal  
 62%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 108

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 11:28 am
I know there can be other choices, like cleaning, shopping, and maybe others but these are the two that I'm curious about for others.

I don't like the planning. For yom tov, I do because I like to organize and that's the same idea, but for during the week, suppers and such, nope. I make it easier for me now, I ask my children. I made of list of possibilities and each child chooses for the whole week. Now that there's summer vacation and all the kids are home, they have to chose lunch and supper. It's so much easier for me. I don't mind the cooking.

A lot of other people I speak to they same the same. What about you?

Ihatepotatoes

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 11:34 am
I love cooking, from putting on lively music, chopping , measuring , (slipping veggies into unexpected places to ensure others around actually eat something healthy, Mr. DS) but planning what to make? uggh

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 11:40 am
you need a 3rd option:

I don't like cleaning up the mess afterward

egam

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 11:43 am
greenfire wrote:
you need a 3rd option:

Agree. While I answered planning, cleaning for me is the worst part.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 11:44 am
I don't mind the cooking that much but I despise the mess and cleaning it all up after cooking. I hate the flour, drippy eggs all over the counter with dirty pots and bowls, ingredients left out since I might need them again, overflowing garbage... If someone could clean up after me, I might actually enjoy the cooking.

Op - it's so strange to imagine you are having summer now. It's freezing cold here .... kids barely remember what they did last summer and it's still too early to plan for next summer. Hope you're enjoying it! What time does shabbos begin by you?

belovedaz

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 11:57 am
Planning is the pits for me but I started making a weekly menu so I x have to think about what to make in middle the week. This helped me tons. I x mind the cooking as long as the kids are behaving

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 12:16 pm
greenfire wrote:
you need a 3rd option:

Read my post, the first half!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 12:17 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
Op - it's so strange to imagine you are having summer now. It's freezing cold here .... kids barely remember what they did last summer and it's still too early to plan for next summer. Hope you're enjoying it! What time does shabbos begin by you?

About 8.

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 12:54 pm
Definitely prefer the cooking to the planning. I end up feeling like I'm making the same things over and over because it's easier than thinking of new things and finding new recipes that I, and the rest of my family, will like. Also, I try to send leftovers for lunch with my daughter the next day so now I need to coordinate with dairy and meat days at her school making it an extra thing to take into account when planning meals. Weirdly, though, I've found that I don't really mind planning the meals for yom tov, just for regular weekday nights and shabbos.

egam

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 1:07 pm
I'm at work. Leaving in about an hour and Shabbos is in 3.5 and I still haven't decided what to make for tomorrow's meal.

musicmom

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 1:12 pm
clean up!

SorGold

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 1:12 pm
Planning is fine. Cooking is great. Cleaning up is the worst.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 2:06 pm
Planning can be fun... If I knew I didn't have to be the one in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up. I could pick all those fancy or overly complicated meals in the cookbooks I don't try due to lack of time, energy or not enough headspace to do it all!

agreer

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 3:32 pm
I include shopping in the planning.

I like to eat, so planning is fun, but I haaaaaate going shopping... I hate the grocery store, the crowds before yom tov, forgetting something and going back.

If I could have someone shop for me, I"m more than happy to plan the meal and cook it.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 4:33 pm
Planning a meal that I have the energy to cook is the problem. I can think of lots of great food ideas but don't always have the koach to make them.

For shabbos cooking is the harder part for me because I have to find time to get the cooking done. During the week it's hard to think of quick, easy, healthy things that we aren't sick of ( that also makes good lunch leftovers)

Jewishmom8

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 1:59 pm
the clean up after!

rachel91

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 6:24 pm
Shopping propably, if I'd have all the ingredients at home at all times, I'd actually enjoy planning and cooking

yo'ma

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 7:30 pm
Doesn't anybody read the op? Are you commenting on what you like less and not voting or doing both?

rachel91

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 7:34 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Doesn't anybody read the op? Are you commenting on what you like less and not voting or doing both?

I read the op, I guess it would be planning, since shopping falls under that category rather than cooking.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 10:40 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Read my post, the first half!

the answer remains as the other 2 choices don't bother me at all
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics