Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Which schools in NJ are most accommodating?
1  2  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 7:41 pm
Which elementary schools in NJ are most accommodating for a child with mild needs? Child in question gets some services and can function in a mainstream classroom with some support and understanding. Which schools can do this? Preferably boys only (though boys and girls in same building but otherwise separate is fine) and not too far to the right (excellent secular studies is a must).

Also, will NJ respect a NY IEP or will we have to go through the process all over again and risk possibly losing services?

ETA: By NJ, I mean Teaneck area, Passaic, Highland Park/Edison, Elizabeth. Not Lakewood.

tryinghard

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 7:48 pm
YNJ is very good. They have a special needs program and a mainstreaming program. The school has both girls and boys, separate from 3rd or 4th I think. Secular education is very strong. Where in NJ will you be living?

heightsmom

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 9:14 pm
YNJ is separate from Grade 1.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 10:23 pm
Following

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 7:57 am
Are there any other options to look into? YNJ looks great, I just want to check out all my options. Also does anyone know about the IEP thing? Can I just transfer it to the new state or will I have to go through all the evaluations again and hope they get it right?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 8:10 am
amother wrote:
Are there any other options to look into? YNJ looks great, I just want to check out all my options. Also does anyone know about the IEP thing? Can I just transfer it to the new state or will I have to go through all the evaluations again and hope they get it right?

I was at the DOE in NY and there was a parent there with an IEP from Washington. The DOE basically transfered it to NY.

ETA NJ has much less .funding for Special Education than NY so your services may be severely cut.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 8:11 am
How long ago was he evaluated? I believe that when you cross states, the new school has the right to reevaluate. They will accept his current iep for a short while, but then will need to develop their own. That being said, the team at YNJ is great, and I don't think they would go out of their way to remove services. However they will want to be careful about his class placement, and If he is close to 3 years since his last evaluation they may do one.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 8:16 am
Kushner, in Livingston, is also great.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 8:56 am
Ugh, this is why I'm afraid to leave NY, I don't want to lose services. But staying in NY limits the whole rest of the family in many ways. He is being evaluated this year because he's going to kindergarten. We would not move until the following year, when he'd be starting first grade.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 9:18 am
Fyi, be prepared for changes with this new eval, even if his needs don't change. I don't know NY, but in NJ, a preschooler can be labeled "preschool disabled" and be eligible for any services because of that "disability". Once they hit kindergarten (pre1a), they need an actual diagnosis of something like adhd or autism to be eligible for a lot of services. OT in particular can be dicey.

I also think YNJ is your best bet. Kushner is coed. There are other schools that fit you hashkafically, but YNJ is best outfitted to deal with issues.

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 11:07 am
Perhaps check out how it would work regarding cutting of funds if you live in NY but send to a school in NJ.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 11:31 am
You can call YNJ and ask to speak with the Director of Special Services, Helen Adler. She is a lovely person, and I'm sure she would answer all your questions.

mommy08

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 7:38 pm
I'm actually in the very same boat as the OP. Do you think it's worth staying in NY for the services(if that's the only hesitation)? I think I'm a little too late in the game for that now, but services aside, we'd rather live in NJ than NY. How does Noam handle these types of services (OT, PT, Speech) ok? Is it hard to get services through the district/city/state coming in with an IEP from NY?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 7:49 pm
mommy08 wrote:
I'm actually in the very same boat as the OP. Do you think it's worth staying in NY for the services(if that's the only hesitation)? I think I'm a little too late in the game for that now, but services aside, we'd rather live in NJ than NY. How does Noam handle these types of services (OT, PT, Speech) ok? Is it hard to get services through the district/city/state coming in with an IEP from NY?

I am currently staying in NY just for the services (and I know other people in the same boat).
My son gets around 15 hours of therapy a week and I can't take the chance of having that cut.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 7:53 pm
I know people who moved from NJ to NY because Ny provides more services. Please make sure you research this well before making a decision.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
Fyi, be prepared for changes with this new eval, even if his needs don't change. I don't know NY, but in NJ, a preschooler can be labeled "preschool disabled" and be eligible for any services because of that "disability". Once they hit kindergarten (pre1a), they need an actual diagnosis of something like adhd or autism to be eligible for a lot of services. OT in particular can be dicey.

I also think YNJ is your best bet. Kushner is coed. There are other schools that fit you hashkafically, but YNJ is best outfitted to deal with issues.

I wish it were that easy. I actually had the director of special services in my NJ county tell me "I don't care if your kid has CP, we don't have to give her anything in a private school" This was after dd received an ADHD diagnosis from the BOE neurodevlopmental Dr. and later received an ASD diagnosis.

There are several (can't remember if it's 7 or 9) categories of disability, unfortunately ADHD and ASD fall into the "Other Health Impaired" category and the BOE is reluctant to provide services for that unless the case can be made that there is an educational deficit.

There are accommodations that they are willing to provide in a public school setting (so the hypothetical kid with CP could get physical assistance in a PS navigating the hallways) but nothing for the private school.

If your child actually needs a Sinai-like environment then they help you with a lawyer to fight for placement/services.

Hatzlacha!

mommy08

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 10:41 pm
But if my kid is in kindergarten now and we'll be in NJ for 2nd grade how will I know if he'll still need services (services for us is Speech and PT, he's been getting OT but may not even qualify for next year). There are no academic concerns. And I have a baby who's not getting anything. Do I not move somewhere just in case he may need services?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 10:49 pm
Yikes, not liking this. But feeling so stuck. I hate where we are now, and NJ would be more convenient for dhs work, but this is more important. What about living in NY but sending to an NJ school? Would that present a problem?

mommy08

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 10:52 pm
Do you mean living in NJ and send to my school? I personally wouldn't be a fan. Just too far for a little kid. That's just me I guess.

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 11:05 pm
mommy08 wrote:
Do you mean living in NJ and send to my school? I personally wouldn't be a fan. Just too far for a little kid. That's just me I guess.

I live in NY and send to school in NJ. The commute is shorter than a bus ride around Monsey.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)