Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Motivating parents
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 10:02 am
Mummiedearest, you expressed that clearly and eloquently.

It is not uncommon for those at the top of their class, great students to be less attuned to people. As is book smart versus street smart. A mother and a teacher needs to figure out what makes each child under their care tick.

I am pretty smart. My grades were usually around average. I would do no work at all as a stud not if I felt coerced. That included comparisons, threats, dire predictions... Love and care for me, and I'd work. Give me space and I'd work. Give me respect and I'd do the work. I'm talking middle school.
Oh, and my father put lots of effort into my homework. So I never did homework in highschool if I could somewhat get away with it. I had a 2.8 almost consistently.

SRS

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 6:31 pm
My earlier comments really were directed to an elementary teacher, not a teacher of older children. It is sad to say that by the older grades it is near too late. Certain things are best picked up when the mind is most flexible.

I'm not certain why so many are beating up on this teacher. At least she cares. Most of the people I know who have taught in a school where general ed is not valued learn to not care or they will not last.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics