Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
In S/O not the typical heimish Shabbos menu
1  2  3  4  Next

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 5:10 pm
I dont know what got into me, but lately I cant stomache serving, potatoe kugel, farfel, cholent and eggs on Shabbos.
I feel like Shabbos is a day to enjoy my food, not get grossed out by the sight of it (No! I'm not pregnant!) I would love to make a delicious Shabbos menu...Please give me ideas for Friday Night and Shabbos Day...

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 5:38 pm
salmon and coleslaw and crudite with chummous or olive dip. Chicken soup or lentil soup or thick vegetable soup. Stove top chicken in tomato sauce or with sundried tomatoes and balsamic sauce, or with apples and sweet potato and herby sauce, rice (never ever do kugel) or roasted baby potatoes, roasted veg - sweet potatoes, fresh green beans, purple onion, or butternut squash with chilli flakes or cauliflower with zaatar. Shabbos day I do the same starter course, and a small cholent (usually no beans), but also either a steak salad or grilled chicken salad, quinoa or tiny couscous with roasted vegetables.

Still easy, I can do the whole thing in just over an hour, and healthy - hardly any oil, and flavorful with lots of spices and herbs.

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 5:53 pm
I serve the same menu for both meals.

We have whole wheat baguettes and challah, with olive oil and assorted cheeses (skipped if I'm going to serve chicken soup) Sometimes we add some dips, like hummus or eggplant dip, etc.

Next course is some kind of salmon, either baked or poached or sweet and sour. Served with quinoa, rice, mujadara or similar; broccoli, carrot or similar kugel; roasted vegetables or a salad.

We end with soup, a different one every week. And sometimes dessert.

I add cholent for Shabbos lunch.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 5:55 pm
Make whatever you like best. Steak, roast beef, rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken. Roasted vegetables, steamed broccoli, sesame green beans.
Roasted baby potatoes, mushroom rice, orzo.
For lunch you can do breaded chicken cutlets, grilled chicken salad, corned beef. Rice salad, potato salad, crockpot potato kugel, brown rice stew.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 5:59 pm
I don't cook heimish:
Some of my favorites:
Tortilla soup with avacado, tortilla chips, and cilantro
Thai coconut soup
Butternut squash soup with pumpkin seeds or fried capers
Spiralized zuchinni with lemon and basil
Grilled chipotle chicken
Chicken with lemon and capers
Sweet potato cubes with lime and chili powder
Roasted kabocha squash
Roasted green beans with garlic
Taco salad
Chinese chicken salad

fmt4

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:08 pm
Friday night: I usually do a green salad, some kind of salmon like pineapple maple, pesto, teriyaki. Or sushi.
Then soup- potato leek, mushroom barley, zucchini etc
Then some kind of meat- roast, or steaks, or ribs. Maybe grilled chicken as well. Rice, green beans, assorted roasted vegetables such as zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, and sweet potatoes- yum!

Shabbos day- I hate cholent so even if I do make it I also make lots of other stuff.
First course a salmon Caesar salad or a sushi salad, maybe a quinoa salad, some kind of spinach salad with fruit and nuts and a yummy sweet dressing. Sometimes Israeli salad. Dips.
Second course a grilled chicken salad, sometimes a steak salad, schnitzel, sometimes pigs in blankets for the kids. Sometimes zucchini kugel muffins. But the main thing is yummy salads. Everyone always loves them.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:10 pm
Make your own burrito or pita could also be fun:
Mexican style: beef or chicken strips, guacamole, salsa, cilantro, lime rice, olives, corn, roasted peppers
Israeli style: carrot, cabbage, and beet salad, hummus, tehina, fries, schwarma, Israeli salad

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:14 pm
I know how you feel.. What's wroing with minestrone of split pea soup.

Steak and BBQ ribs , onion rings or ff. And franks and sliders for the lil ones

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:46 pm
you should just know that all the "traditional foods" that you mentioned op, has a mesorah. so its there for a reason. and there are seforim and I actually have one that is kid freindly that even kids can read on their own and understand the reason for each of the foods we eat on shabbos.

enjoy whatever you make and say lekovod shabbos. and make it a happy place. thats what kids remember.

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:57 pm
sourstix wrote:
you should just know that all the "traditional foods" that you mentioned op, has a mesorah. so its there for a reason. and there are seforim and I actually have one that is kid freindly that even kids can read on their own and understand the reason for each of the foods we eat on shabbos.

enjoy whatever you make and say lekovod shabbos. and make it a happy place. thats what kids remember.

That's really BS. I mean, it's utterly ridiculous to find a gematria that matches to potato kugel and deduce from that that it's "mandatory" to eat potato kugel on Shabbos. And yes, I did sit through an entire summer in camp of shiurim on this topic. Each "mesorah proof" was more stupid than the one before.

Our Shabbos foods are nothing more than cultural.

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:00 pm
Meat meals are defined an inyan.
Basar vdagim vechol mataamim...

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:02 pm
Lasagna, Caesar salad, broccoli and cheese quiche.
Taco bar (that's super fun)

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:04 pm
CPenzias wrote:
Lasagna, Caesar salad, broccoli and cheese quiche.
Taco bar (that's super fun)

What do you put out for a taco bar?Sounds like a fun idea for a party...

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:24 pm
maya I feel sorry for you. that you had to use such vulgar words to express yourself. it would be wise of you to cool down before you post to someone who did nothing to you. and didnt mean you at all.

it would be wise for you to seek a good therapist to help you sort out all your chasidus issues.

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:25 pm
and watch what you say about big great tzadikim that you have never met that ment it leshem shamayim.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:32 pm
It could be that some people have some sort of tradition to eat kugel, farfel, etc.
Our mesorah is basar vdagim but we've never felt that we had to serve meat and / or fish, though we enjoy doing so most weeks.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:34 pm
If you just want to change it up a bit, but not too much try some substitutions:
- Liver\Eggs\Gefilte Fish -> A meat salad (like london broil, deli, skirt steak), Salmon skewers or fish prepared a different way then used to, home made sushi, or make your own sushi (prepare rice, nori, toppings and fish), egg rolls, wontons, grilled chicken salad
- Chicken Soup -> Cream of Chicken Soup, Butternut Squash soup, any soup
- Matzah Balls -> Malawach Pinweels or skip
- Baked chicken -> Roast, Stuffed Chicken Cutlets, Capons ...
- Potato Kugel -> Baby Roasted Potatoes, Rice, Quinoa, Baked Potato Fries
- String Beans (or whatever vegetable) -> roasted vegetable towers, Beet Chips, Eggplant sticks with techina
- Fun kids Sides -> Franks 'n blanks, deli roll, egg rolls,
- Cholent -> Try a new recipe, we like using a quinoa and brown rice base sometimes to make it different
- Salads -> try some new salads , quinoa, corn salad, cucumber with dill, cucumber with corn and pomegranate...
- Dips -> make some home made dips (tomato, bubaganoush, techina, chummus) or roasted garlic.

Last edited by sky on Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:35 pm
I am not chassidish and never grew up eating heimish food. Considering that my ancestors were extremely poor I am sure they were thrilled to eat whatever they got on shabbos. We eat food that we enjoy, whether that be meat, fish or dairy, depending on the week.

mille

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:55 pm
I've never made a kugel in my life. I make cholent very occasionally, but it's probably not the same as anyone else really makes. I think our Shabbos menus are just about the opposite of 'heimish' as you can get - and that doesn't mean I cook sefardi, I just cook whatever I want.

Taco bar is actually a really popular shabbos menu of mine when we have company. I usually do shredded salsa chicken, ground beef, refried black beans, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, guacamole, pickled white onions, cilantro, corn, black olives, taco sauce/chipotle sauce/salsa verde/other sauces, hard shell corn tortillas and soft flour tortillas, and sometimes an actual side dish but not always. I usually figure about 4 tacos per person but it seems to range between 2-6 depending on appetites! I've done spicy ceviche as an appetizer for this sort of meal too.

I get a lot of ideas on websites like tastespotting.com. Not every recipe is kosher, but plenty are super adaptable. I also really like budgetbytes.com because the recipes are so flavorful and so simple in general. I've made a TON of the chicken recipes on this website for Shabbos!

Really, there's no reason why you can't make whatever you want on Shabbos, providing you don't run into any heating issues (either unable to heat it up/keep it warm, or it's not good when not fresh). If you don't want to go totally outside the box, just look at cookbooks or blogs and follow the main-starch-vegetable 'rule' and just fill in each category. Do a salad for an appetizer, no need to do more than that (or soup for friday night if you feel inclined).

Enjoy! Smile

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:59 pm
cnc wrote:
What do you put out for a taco bar?Sounds like a fun idea for a party...

I have the veggies cut up in separate bowls, 2 types of taco shells, meat, salsa, guacamole, refried beans. Basically the only thing I need topi warm up is the meat which is pretty dry so I put it on the plata. It's super fun and good for picky eaters
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus