Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Ds age 9 disturbs bedtime for others

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:11 pm
My nightly routine is like this
Toddlers bathe at 5:45, in bed by 6:30.
5 yr old in bath by 6:15 bed by 7
Dd age 9 I do hw with at 7, then 7:30 bath and 8:00 bed.

I am putting one of the toddlers to sleep and Dd comes in screaming and yelling angry that sister hurt her. I told her to play in another room until toddler is asleep. She was just shouting and screaming.
Since bedtime was a ruckus cause of her behavior I have no time to do hw with her. She can do it herself but her teacher likes when we "listen". If she stays up late she's nuts the next day. I'll sign and she won't get into trouble. Or I can write teacher note how she disturbed bedtime so mommy couldn't listen to her hw. Is that too harsh?

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:27 pm
she is big enough to know not to disturb. can you have a conversation with her and explain that when she does that you cant help her afterwards. is that something she cares about?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 6:41 pm
is this routinely ?

you cannot sign for homework she didn't do. I wouldn't want to embarrass her either by writing negative notes to the teacher.

so what can you give her to do that is special while you put the other younger kids to bed ? or some reward points toward a prize ...

Also can you create more time for older one by putting 5 year old and toddler to bed at the same time ?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 8:22 pm
have your oldest do her homework by herself while you put the others to bed. tell her to do everything that she doesn't need help with. explain to her that if she gets it all done, you can play a game with her when the little ones are in bed. it sounds like she's desperate for your attention (I have a kid like this). better to spend fun time with her than homework time, and homework will keep her occupied for a while at least. get her some fun books to read/coloring books/crafts supplies that she's only allowed to use once she finishes her homework while you're doing bedtime.

as for signing, I'd tell her that you will not sign for homework she didn't do. don't tell the teacher that your kid disrupted bedtime. you can write a note to the teacher telling her that your daughter will make up the homework tomorrow, everyone was off schedule today and homework wasn't a possibility.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children