Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How to cover hair- chassidish perspective?
1  2  3  Next

nnmom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 12:42 pm
I have a family simcha in jerusalem coming up.
I am MO and only cover hair for shul.
Relatives in Israel are all chassidish super frum.
I want to be respectful when going to their Shul. I think hats look very conspicuous when at chassidish functions. Plus my hair shows underneath. What do you think a modern person should wear when in your world?
I would consider wearing a fall for the day, but isn't that weird if I'm going to uncover the next day?
Would you think a plain snood is schleppy?
It's a well put together crowd.
Opinions please!

glamourmom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 12:46 pm
your fall, or a full wig if you have one.

boysmom4

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 12:53 pm
sounds like a fall wig is a great option
I won't look like you're trying too hard to fit in
but rather natural for you

grace413

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:07 pm
nnmom wrote:

I would consider wearing a fall for the day, but isn't that weird if I'm going to uncover the next day?

Opinions please!

I don't think it's weird. I'm MO and when I go simchas of my Charedi relatives I try to meet their standards for the event. I think I'm being respectful of them, even if it's not how I generally dress.

mfb

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:22 pm
I think it might depend on what type of crowd.
Is it a shaitel wearing crowd? Than I would say wear a fall.
If its a real yerushalmi wedding where they don't wear sheitels, I would say maybe try to get a nice hat that covers your hair.
Good luck.
I think its very nice of you that you are trying to be respectful of the baal simcha!

nnmom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:38 pm
Thanks for replies!
I don't have a fall or a sheitel. I was considering getting one (maybe on consignment to save money).
Any suggestions about how to cover hair without a wig?

glamourmom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:39 pm
wrapunzel?? some places in NY would rent a wig for a couple hundred dollars.

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:41 pm
I have a friend who buys synthetic wigs at hair supply stores. They are good for a few wearing (and can look very nice) and are very inexpensive. Think under $50.

nnmom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:42 pm
Thanks mfb. I always feel so out of place!
It's definitely not a yerushalmi crowd. They all are very well put together. Current fashion, stylish sheitels.
Which also poses another question. If I get a fall, I'd want one that is long. My hair is long and that is what is in style in my city. Is long okay or is it viewed as just as untznious as plain hair?

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:46 pm
definitely not viewed as untznious as plain hair. it really depends how long it is. some places very long is okay. some more charaidei places they dont wear wigs past their shoulders.

penguin

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:48 pm
Do you have a hat that covers almost everything? You can do a stretchy cotton hair wrap underneath (I used to call it a hair band but now I am told that's the hard plastic one, this one goes all around your head, is maybe 1-2 inches wide).

This pretty much covers most of what sticks out of my hats.

Or if you have any pretty scarf that matches your outfit, you can get very good coverage, especially if you do a velour band under it.

nnmom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:54 pm
The thing is also, I'm not newly married.
I have been around this family for almost 10 years with my hair uncovered.
I just have never been to a simcha in israel for them.
Is wearing a hat with my regular hair out unacceptable? That's what I do when I am in my home city.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:00 pm
Shave your hair as s sign of solidarity with your chasidish sisters

JK Smile

abound

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:15 pm
You can wear a hat and try to put your hair up so it is covered.

nnmom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:24 pm
Any suggestions for a type of hat?
I'm more in to current fashion. Not the head wrapping style which to me is casual looking.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:38 pm
I'm chassidish and we have relatives who come to our simchos with hats on top of their own hair. I remember being sure it was a sheitel in my younger years but now I know better.

Point is, not everyone expects you to be radically different than your usual self. In my experience, covering up sleeves, neckline, skirt length is a bigger issue than how much hair sticks out under a hat.

Kol hakavod for your respect and consideration.

nnmom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:44 pm
Thanks youngishbear. Hopefully my in laws are as understanding!

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:51 pm
I would find a hat and tuck your hair in if possible.

I would not buy a shaitel or even a fall for a one time event.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:57 pm
This is an upper end synthetic. In chocolate brown you will have lots of pretty brown hair.

http://www.voguewigs.com/enigm......html

Just shove the bangs where you want with wet hands.

This is past the chin but not to the shoulder, if you want to be very safe:

http://www.voguewigs.com/alway......html

With cold water wash, with only synthetic-wig shampoo, and no obsessive combing, I am not sure why such wigs should not last a good while. It is good to have several the same, so you aren't wearing just one all the time. No heat, no styling. Air-dry overnight on an open wig stand.

Use a wig cap underneath. When you go out of the house in it, that's absolutely necessary. At home you can just fling it on with one hand, with no cap.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Wed, Jan 20 2016, 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 4:02 pm
I am MO, live in Israel and have a looot of chassidish family. When I go to their smachot, I cover my hair how I always cover, with mitpachot. I dont have any other hair covering. But I will make sure to cover more of my hair than I usually do.
I dont own a wig and I actually dont own any hats either.
I would say wear whatever it is that you would wear to shul. You will stick out anyway Smile as a non chassidish person. Its not a big deal and it is not being disrespectful either.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels