Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
ISO: Complete make-ahead shabbos for the working woman!
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
Some of you have mentioned freezing dips. Can you include which dips you freeze and related recipes.

I freeze chatzilim without the mayo. Slice aubergine in half lengthways unpeeled, bake on 450 till brown (50 mins or so). Puree with some garlic cloves. 1 clove per eggplant. Add mayo to taste when ready to serve. Or olive oil for a healthier dip.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 11:13 am
I freeze olive tapenade, hummos, matbucha, whitebean and roasted pepper dip.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 12:00 pm
Certain recipes reheat well and actually improve the next day as the flavors settle.

Dark meat chicken reheats very well so make a braised dark meat chicken dish. Some of the best also have a veggie and grain so that saves time as you rehab everything.

Any kind if braised meat, brisket etc. is better the next day if reheated properly.

There are many recipes that are based on cooking on the weekend because so many women don't have time to cook after work.

Soup is something that can be made in huge quantities and frozen in containers based on what you will need.

Do you make Gefilte fish? I don't know anyone who doesn't make well ahead of time if they even make from scratch. Poached salmon is easily made the night before and whatever sauce you have on the side made then as well or even I. Wednesday.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

carrot

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:14 pm
You can broil chicken in less than an hour. I do this often. You can have it laid out in its pan in the fridge in the morning, sprinkle with Montreal steak spice or the like, then when you come home broil first on one side and then flip, sprinkle spice again, and broil some more.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:18 pm
Actually boneless chicken breasts cook in 20 minutes. As others have posted, I marinate, freeze, thaw am cook. I general cook in tin foil so they stay moist in the marinade.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:20 pm
There are nice salads served at room temp or chilled that ar made the day before. Rice salad or pasta salad.

Bagged greens and pre chopped veggies are a time saver. And if you have more ambition, you can prep veggies a few days ahead and store in plastic containers.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:20 pm
carrot wrote:
You can broil chicken in less than an hour. I do this often. You can have it laid out in its pan in the fridge in the morning, sprinkle with Montreal steak spice or the like, then when you come home broil first on one side and then flip, sprinkle spice again, and broil some more.

I do this all the time! It is so good. They have one for chicken also

hanna2010

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 5:36 pm
Someone mentioned baking and freezing gefilte fish. How exactly is that done and does it taste ok?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 5:45 pm
This is falling off the bone tender so it isn't as pretty as a roast chicken in the oven but it is very delish and you just plop the chicken in the crockpot in the morning.

I trim off a lot of the skin since it doesn't crisp and much of the fat. Elevating it on the aluminum balls prevents it from turning into a stew. Only problem is that unless you have multiple crockpots, it's hard to make for a crowd.

Sticky Rotisserie Chicken
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion

Directions:

n small bowl, thoroughly combine all spices. Clean chicken well and
remove giblets. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into
the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly
distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable
plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

Place aluminum wads in a crockpot. Place chicken on top of the
aluminum wads in the crockpot and do not add any
liquid. As the cooking process goes on the chicken will produce its
own juices. Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. The chicken will be
falling off the bones.

Remove skin from chicken before eating.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 9:11 am
I’m exactly in the same situation, getting home just about 30min before candlelighting. (The only difference is, DH works from home esp on Fridays though he is clueless about cooking. Still I can ask him to take care of simple chores like how to put the chicken in the oven, or fill the water urn or (most importantly) hoover the house.

I shop ingredients Tue/Wed (except for things like lettuce or herbs that have short shelf life), do cooking Wed &Thu in summer, Tue& Wed & Thu in winter or ahead of Yomtov. We normally have guests one meal (more likely Shabbat lunch). We don’t have a large freezer. I don’t bake challot usually.

Tue: things that can be cooked ahead and kept in the fridge. Like chickpeas, baba ganoush, roasted peppers. Also chicken soup and red meat—they taste better and you can make them healthier by refrigerating and skimming off the fat. Or anything a bit labour intensive like stuffed vegetables or duck or phylo pastries or brekasim.

Wed: most ly dessert (cake, mousse) but not crumble. Rice, yerushalmi kugel, other kugel. Soak beans/fenugreek for hilbe. I go easy as I need sleep ahead of Thursday night.

Thurs: The main cooking night. Fish (baked/panfried/fried, or home cured /marinated) side dish/veggies. Veggies—very often green beans/broccoli/courgettes boiled al dente with or without garlic oil dressing. I try to slightly undercook vegetables so they can be reheated or freshened up . Crumbles or hot fruit dessert (doesn’t keep too long). Also some of the salatim that needs grating (fennel, carrots) or needs to be fresh (hilbe, ). Either cook chicken or prepare/marinate.

I do fruit salad and general salad (green salad, mushroom salad, Israeli salad, cucumber salads etc, avocado) on shabbat.

Specifically for chicken, I also don’t like reheated baked chicken. In winter, I get up early and bake them in the oven, either se the oven on timer or ask DH (who leaves home much later) to turn off the oven and take the chicken out. We have only minimum heating during the day so I never had problem leaving the chicken out till shabbat comes in (as early as 3:30pm). In summer (when shabbat can start as late as 7-8pm) I have enough time to cook.
The same with roasted potatoes—they don’t taste that nice once refrigerated/heated.

Alternatively, I do chicken dishes that heat better, like stewed chicken, casserole/friccase, rice and chicken, schnitzels (I fry them Wed or Thurs), poached chicken (esp summer).

One thing I found critical is to have good lists (I’m fanatic about it). I have 2 lists aside from the general ‘to do’ list, one for grocery shopping s and the other for menu planning that includes what needs to be cooked when.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 9:19 am
Amarante, I make that rotisserie chicken in the crockpot for 6 hours on low and it comes out moist and beautiful, not falling off the bone. Really delicous and looks great too.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 10:33 am
LifesBliss wrote:
I freeze my chicken raw and then I put it on the oven set on a timer to start 2 hours before I get home. Until the oven starts it defrosts. Yummy chicken each time.

Sounds like a good idea, except I think that iy's not safe to let chicken defrost at room temperature!

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 10:46 am
I have been doing this more often as it gives me a bit more control with chicken dishes. I brown the chicken in my dutch oven. Sometimes I add starch or veg other times just plain. I put it in the oven at 11pm to cook for 5 hrs on 250. When I get up between 6 and 7 its cool enough to put in the fridge. It gets a bit less over cooked this way as opposed to the crockpot.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics