Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Stiff eardrums, no fluid, hearing loss. ISO good ent lkwd area

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 9:44 pm
My dd has a mixed (?) hearing loss; her tympanometry is flat, ear canals narrow and eardrums are stiff. No fluid has been found behind. One of her audiologists claims its mixed sensorineural loss.

The other audiologist finds some bone conduction gap and feels that eardrum inflexibility should be somehow addressed, and that should improve hearing. He feels that somehow the eardrums should be made more flexible/soft but it's not his field to figure out how to make it happen.

The ent has been quite passive. Not sure if it's because there's really nothing that can be done, or because that's just lack of knowledge or initiative.

I however feel obligated to follow up on the audiologists suggestion. Who knows maybe he is right and I owe it to my dd to find the solution and make her hearing better.

Please advise if you have heard of any remedies for stiff eardrums.

Also searching for a very good ent in Lakewood area.

Thanks a lot

mommyla

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 11:47 pm
Dr. Engel at Coastal ENT in Neptune. Haven't used him for kids, but I went there for myself (saw him and Dr. Houston) and he was great (and I was the only adult without a child in the waiting room!).

12rivkyk34

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 11:51 pm
Dr. Jacobs in CHOP.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 12:15 am
mommyla wrote:
Dr. Engel at Coastal ENT in Neptune. Haven't used him for kids, but I went there for myself (saw him and Dr. Houston) and he was great (and I was the only adult without a child in the waiting room!).

Thank you

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 12:16 am
12rivkyk34 wrote:
Dr. Jacobs in CHOP.

Thank you.
Their website says he specializes in airways. Do you know if he works with ears and hearing loss?

sped

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 1:47 am
Are there organizations that help with children with hearing loss? They may have a good suggestion.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 1:19 pm
Have you asked your pediatrician who he thinks you should use.

My son has hearing loss and a fluid issue (separate and connected). My pediatrician said we had to got CHOP and recommended 3 specific drs to use. We have been seeing Dr Ken Kazahaya who is supposedly excellent for hearing loss. But the place is run a bit like a factory and you don't always see the dr.

CHOP has a satellite office in voorhees that is more convenient then the CHOP hospital.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics