Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you fold laundry?
Previous  1  2

Another mom

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 1:06 pm
[quote="amother"]Some tips for cleaning and organizing:
-I try to do 1-2 loads each evening so I'm not left with a huge chore.
-I hang dry all clothes on hangers and when dry transfer to closet (clothes stay better without dryer and this saves me from ironing and folding)
-All underwear, socks and pj's get machine dried and I try to fold as soon as the clothes come out of the machine. Otherwise I leave them in a foldable mesh laundry basket and fold once a week. I leave the folded clothes on everybody's bed so they can put them away and kid's clothes get put away by me.
-PJ's are worn twice before washing, everything else washed after use.
-Linen gets washed every other week and put right back on the bed as soon as it's out of the dryer, so no folding.

Don't u get tired of the same linen? I'd be afraid to do that - My kids may think I never wash the sheets!

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 3:41 pm
Another mom wrote:
Don't u get tired of the same linen? I'd be afraid to do that - My kids may think I never wash the sheets!

Sometimes I do. But this is what works for us in this particular phase in our life. There were times where I was able to fold and switch off linen. And my kids can always tell when their linen has been changed. Nothing like slipping in to a fresh bed.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 6:16 pm
daisy2 wrote:
I recently stopped having cleaning help and was wondering how people manage. What shortcuts or ideas do you have? Do you fold all or part of your laundry. When? Do you let your kids wear an outfit 2 times before washing if it's clean? Do you wash floors and bathroom every week? Do you change linen often? What else do you skip on that won't change the quality of your life?

- I don't have cleaning help. Never have and never plan to.

- I don't fold laundry.

- Kids put their clothes in their own baskets after they wear them one time. If they choose to wear their outfits more than once, sure I'd let them unless obviously soiled.

- I wash floors and bathroom once a year. But only under duress/at gunpoint.

- Change linen when I can be bothered which is not often or when obviously gross.

- My quality of life is much better when I don't care about the housework. Wink

HTH

(anon due to potentially judgemental posters)

chananecha

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:41 pm
I do laundry on Sunday and then once again in the middle of the week. Everyone 5 and under I fold their laundry rest of kids, I sort the laundry in baskets for each kid and they are responsible to fold it and hang it up.
Its easy and totally not overwhelming this way Smile

creditcards

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
- I don't have cleaning help. Never have and never plan to.

- I don't fold laundry.

- Kids put their clothes in their own baskets after they wear them one time. If they choose to wear their outfits more than once, sure I'd let them unless obviously soiled.

- I wash floors and bathroom once a year. But only under duress/at gunpoint.

- Change linen when I can be bothered which is not often or when obviously gross.

- My quality of life is much better when I don't care about the housework. Wink

HTH

(anon due to potentially judgemental posters)

How do you store your laundry when its clean? do you have a certain way of putting them away unfolded so you can find them later?

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 9:16 pm
Dhs laundry I fold. Mine and the kids I don't. I have a spots for their undershirts/pjs/underwear in one draw and another draw for pants & shirts. (shabbos clothes I hang bec since they get wrinkled) (I only have toddlers/babies)
Towles I fold since I like the closets to look neat especially when company is over, and I don't want them to come tumbling out Smile
Linen like once a month.
I have enough clothes to only to laundry once a week. I'm ok with wearing something more than once as long as it doesn't smell/not dirty. (which I admit is not so often with toddlers:)
Kitchen gets moped once a week and a quick sweep is done nightly. vacuum in the main areas once a week. bedrooms get mopped/vacuumed like once every few months (I find they don't really get dirty)
Toilet once a week (unless it looks like it really needs a cleaning)
Bathtub every month or two (again unless it looks dirty)
Dusting - only if it bothers me (like if its eye level) everything else I do once every few months.
Fridge/oven ect...- when its bad enough to bother me.
Organizing - every motzie shabbos I try to organize one big thing (example - filing cabinet, toys, or big cleanup of the bedroom....) By the time I go through all the things, its time to go back to the first thing. but that way nothing is ever really too messy - by the time it is, it's that week's motsei shabbos job.
I try that everything should have a place - it makes cleaning so much easier and quicker if I know where to put everything - toys, tools, batteries....
I do a lot of cooking in bulk and freeze- besides for the time it saves, it means you only have to wash the pots once.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 4:20 pm
daisy2 wrote:
How do you store your laundry when its clean? do you have a certain way of putting them away unfolded so you can find them later?

Hang them up (e.g. dresses, skirts, shirts, tshirts) or put in drawers (underwear, PJs).

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 6:57 pm
these are things that must get done to have the house run normally:

1- dishes washed or at least soaking in the sink (not left out all over)

2- garbage(s) taken out daily

3- crumbs swept off floor

4- clothing washed -it's up to you if you want to fold all or some or none. I have an extra bed that usually has a little mountain of clothing. It's annoying to look through the pile to find kids clothing in the morning so I try to fold when I can but most important, there needs to be clean clothing all the time.

bathrooms - as needed but don't forget to throw out garbage - smelly garbage right away! Use lysol wipes for the toilet seat and sink

only change linen when you feel it needs to be changed.

I would go through the home to vacuum/mop once a week

other things can be left for whenever .... inside of fridge only needs to be washed if something spills - oven, before pesach, windows ... will only get dirty again, so why bother?

5mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:57 pm
Laundry folds much more easily when it's still warm and fluffy from the dryer. So it's best to do it immediately. (And even though this is counterintuitive, if you have laundry that's been sitting out, put it back into the dryer for a bit before folding it.)

Now, how long does it really take to fold a load of laundry? I can do it in 15 minutes (extra large capacity dryer) and put the stuff away in ten. That is without kids "helping." When my kids were smaller, I would dump the clean clothes on my bed, to insure that I would put them away before bedtime. Kids would pull out all the socks while I folded the rest. Then we paired up the socks and put the clothing away.

GoingtoIsrael

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 6:26 pm
Erev Shabbos - dirty clothes go in washing machine. clean go in dryer.
keep grocery box to put everything but everything on the floor. I have to work erev shabbos what a race!

creditcards

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 7:08 pm
GoingtoIsrael wrote:
Erev Shabbos - dirty clothes go in washing machine. clean go in dryer.
keep grocery box to put everything but everything on the floor. I have to work erev shabbos what a race!

When do you but away the stuff from the grocery box? How do you find the stuff you are looking for?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry