Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Blizzard
1  2  Next

RW

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 8:31 am
There is a blizzard warning in effect over shabbos but we are expected to go to my in - laws for lunch. My in - laws live right up the block from us and are still expecting us to come for lunch. What would you do? Would you just stay home or go, since it is only up the block. My husband also is convinced that it may not be so bad and we should just go. I just always get nervous and anticipate the worst.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 8:50 am
I would go. So much fun! What are you scared of- a little snow blowing in your face? Slipping?

Driving may be a concern, but I wouldn't worry about walking up the block.

But then again, I am one of those people who forgot to grow up. I still love snow.

morah

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 9:00 am
Why do you have to decide now? You can't know until it happens. They're predicting as little as 6 inches if the storm veers south, and as much as 18 if it veers north. Prepare something to eat in case you stay home. Tell your ILs before Shabbos that if you don't come by a certain time to assume you decided it was too much to brave the storm. And then play it by ear. I personally love snow and don't generally mind going out in it, but if the winds are strong and its whiteout conditions, even going up the block might not be a great idea.

Last edited by morah on Fri, Jan 22 2016, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

RW

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 9:01 am
Op here: ha ha. I love your response. My daughter was actually getting worried cause she hates being home for shabbos lunch. She actually said she loves the snow and really wants to go to nana's house. I'm just a very nervous person who worries about stepping in a puddle Very Happy

RW

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 9:03 am
morah wrote:
Why do you have to decide now? You can't know until it happens. They're predicting as little as 6 inches if the storm veers south, and as much as 18 if it veers north. Prepare something to eat in case you stay home. Tell your ILs before Shabbos that if you don't come by a certain time to assume you decided it was too much to brave the storm. And then play it by ear.

Op here: We go to my in-laws every shabbos for lunch. So no matter what, my in-laws are expecting us to come.

RW

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 9:11 am
I forgot to mention that davening will be at my husband's grandparents house so that his grandfather doesnt have to leave the house. If my husband goes there for davening, my daughter will for sure want to go with him. In that case, they are already out and might as well stay for lunch. Lunch will actually be by grandparents, not in- laws. My in-laws will be there though.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 9:58 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I would go. So much fun! What are you scared of- a little snow blowing in your face? Slipping?

Driving may be a concern, but I wouldn't worry about walking up the block.

But then again, I am one of those people who forgot to grow up. I still love snow.

Same here. 1 block is the perfect amount to attempt during a blizzard. You get all the fun of wrapping up in coats, scarves and boots and feeling, smelling, seeing* the snow falling...but then you're indoors again before your toes go numb.

*if you're outdoors during a snowfall, stop for a second and look straight up. The effect is hypnotizing. It feels like you're flying! If you do it at night, it's like you're flying through the stars in space.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 10:21 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Same here. 1 block is the perfect amount to attempt during a blizzard. You get all the fun of wrapping up in coats, scarves and boots and feeling, smelling, seeing* the snow falling...but then you're indoors again before your toes go numb.

*if you're outdoors during a snowfall, stop for a second and look straight up. The effect is hypnotizing. It feels like you're flying! If you do it at night, it's like you're flying through the stars in space.

Do we speak the same language? What part of that whole paragraph qualifies as fun? Scratching Head

(Hold on while I diagnose you as type "13" on the whatchamacallit personality system in order to understand you. LOL)

I canceled a scheduled visit shabbos afternoon because my kids probably won't be able to make it in a blizzard.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 10:29 am
youngishbear wrote:
Do we speak the same language? What part of that whole paragraph qualifies as fun? Scratching Head

(Hold on while I diagnose you as type "13" on the whatchamacallit personality system in order to understand you. LOL)

I canceled a scheduled visit shabbos afternoon because my kids probably won't be able to make it in a blizzard.

Lol. I actually notice more people on the steets during snowfall, compared to freezing cold winter days without snow. Wrapping up for the cold is annoying. Wrapping up for snow is magical.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 10:36 am
snow is FUN - let alone a blizzard - because in brooklyn if you don't enjoy it straight away it turns into a muddy slush

in cleveland - snow is definitely FUN !!!

down the block should be no problem at all

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 10:43 am
There was as massive blizzard here almost 50 years ago when I was a child, and the only thing I remember about it is the great time we had walking to a family friend's house (couldn't drive, but we were able to walk) to spend the day.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 11:00 am
What do you think will happen on your walk up the block?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 11:03 am
We are having DH's Chavrusah and wife for lunch. I was telling DH I feel bad for her to have to walk in a blizzard, and she's pg, but DH said they are actually very excited about walking in a blizzard - they are from Mexico and it's a real treat for them, they've been waiting for this all season!

I guess it's all a matter of perspective Smile !

My mother A"H used to tell us about how there was a massive blizzard during my parents' Sheva Brachos week, and her cousins from Australia came dancing thru the streets bringing her boots from my grandmother's house. They had never seen snow before! It made their trip all the more exciting!

mfb

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 12:17 pm
If you're in or near brooklyn, the blizzard part is only for later in the day. If you look at the hourly snowfall rate until about 1-2 o'clock its less than a 1/4 of an inch an hour. Later in the day it goes to over half an inch an hour.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 12:51 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Lol. I actually notice more people on the steets during snowfall, compared to freezing cold winter days without snow. Wrapping up for the cold is annoying. Wrapping up for snow is magical.

does Yael know that you aren't married and you are only 9 years old..
Go help mommy prepare for shabbos

FineOrthodox

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 1:01 pm
The predicted wind force would worry me much more than the actual snow..

RW

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 1:59 pm
Soooo, I ended up panicking and went out to buy some last minute things just in case we need to stay home for lunch. Thanks all for your responses. Have a wonderful dry and warm shabbos everyone!!!!

boymom

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 3:13 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

I can totally relate!! There's something about snow that thrills me to the core. I feel like a kid again. (at this point in life I think about being able to push a carriage so while I'm excited for snow I pray for it not to stick)

With the proper winter gear, walking in the snow, rather stomping in the snow, tasting some of it and swiping it off railings.... is all part of the winter fun. as you said in another post-

IT'S MAGICAL!

balibusta

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 9:42 pm
Any eateries open tonight in lkwd in this big snow?

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 9:48 pm
balibusta wrote:
Any eateries open tonight in lkwd in this big snow?

How are you going to get there.There is a ban on driving
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics