Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cincinnati
1  2  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 11:33 am
How many families are there in the Torah observant community, currently?

Where IS the community? (On which streets, intersections, etc. do people live?)

TIA

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 11:54 am
We just moved here- it's wonderful! (except for the lack of sidewalks Wink ) We didn't know anyone here when we first looked in to it. We didn't come for jobs or anything, we just liked the community Wink

The community is mostly in 45237, Amberley but some people live in Golf Manor. If you google the school and the shuls that will give you a good idea of exact streets. I think everyone is pretty much walkable. The mikvah is next to CZE.

Some of the streets are long but some names are section road, elbrook, farm acres, meadowridge, bluegrass, willowbrook. If you need a realtor I highly recommend Mrs. Ziv, she's out of town right now but she's excellent. Rabbi Teitelbaum takes care of pilot trips...

I believe there is over 200 families now. There is a lebavitch presence and then a non lebavitch community- not sure exactly how it divides up but everyone goes to the same elementary school. I think there is around 280 students currently. The RW and MO shuls are across the street from each other... to give you an idea of the community,

Feel free to ask away.

edited to correct street name

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 12:05 pm
Did you mean Meadowridge? Wink
ETA: There apparently is a Meadow Brook, though I don't know any frum Jews on that street. It's in the neighborhood though!

I can answer just about anything too. Do know that this a fairly young community now, with the demographics heavily skewed toward the younger generation rapidly moving in, though there are still plenty of "old timers". There is also another shul that isn't as full on Stover in Golf Manor, incidentally called Golf Manor
cincinnatishuls.org is a fabulous resource Smile

Adina Peromsik is also a realtor and can be of great assistance

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Sat, Jan 23 2016, 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 12:13 pm
thank you HY, knew you would fill in the blanks and corrections. HY answered my many many questions when we were looking in to it.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 11:05 pm
How far is Cincinnati from NY brooklyn area? Also how much is standard 4 bedroom house

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 11:12 pm
About 10 hours driving I think.

Depends on market availability but depending on size and condition of house, probably 160-250K. There are bigger/fancier ones for more as well.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 8:54 pm
not to scare you but just to be honest-finding a house can be hard- right now if you look on zillow the houses you will see are the large expensive houses... or under contract/ I know someone who rented an apartment before she moved here because she wanted to make sure she would have someplace to live. When we were looking we really weren't sure where we would end up living since it was really slim pickings. We were open to renting or buying that's how desperate we were....

It also depends how far you are willing to live from the shuls....

Thankfully (thanks to Hashem and his shlichum HY and Mrs. Ziv) we found a house in time but just want to make sure you are aware. Mrs. Peromsik told me she warns people when they call her that real estate is hard to come by here.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 9:06 pm
How's the winter there? Very snowy? And is summer very hot?

It's there school for kids?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 9:19 pm
there is one elementary school and a separate "Montessori program" that just started this year for first and second graders, don't know what will be next year with it. It was created fairly last minute this year... Not sure if they will allow people who aren't part of the montessori preschool program at CHDS (the local dayschool) to join.

There is CHDS and Atara High school for girls. There is a lebavitch boys high school but no non-lebavitch one.

I haven't been here even a year yet so can't say about the weather.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:24 pm
As far as housing, Mint is right on target...there is more demand than supply, but honestly most houses bought here in the past couple years haven't really been on Zillow, and the frum realtors knew how to find them Smile So there are few options, but don't let Zillow alone scare you!

So the weather is nuts these days, definitely different than when I was growing up, but that's the same in the whole US I think, thanks to global warming I suppose? Baltimore has also changed in the past decade or so. We seem to have extremes (El Nino? Polar Vortex? Whatever.) Summer can get hot and very humid. Winter can have some days of bitter cold. Last year, though, we had one snow storm that affected school. We had some bitter cold days as well. My experience in Baltimore was actually more snow days and also bitter cold days. This year, so far, we have had one one hour delay, and that's it. It hasn't been super bad temperature wise, a few very cold days, but nothing to prevent me walking to shul...this week is supposed to be in the 40s. February and March may be worse though. Winter seems to start late nowadays...We used to have snow on Sukkos. These days we ask shailos about being too hot in the sukkah!
One thing I will say is that even if we have snow, it seems like the city knows how to deal with it better than my experience in Baltimore! At least Amberley Village, where more than half the frum community lives, is very good about salting and plowing. Golf Manor (the adjacent neighborhood) takes a little while longer, but not terrible.

And yes, of course there is school for kids Wink The day school is affiliated with Torah U'Mesorah and has been around for 3/4 of a century already. What would you like to know about it? There is a non-denominational Jewish school as well which has a handful of frum kids but I would not recommend it if your priority is a good, Orthodox education. The girls high school is excellent. There has been talk about opening a boys one, but we'll see if it materializes. And there is a great day camp here as well.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:25 pm
BTW, Rabbi Teitelbaum runs the website frumcincinnati.com where you can reach out to him if you would like to learn more, have a pilot trip, etc.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 5:42 pm
We are also looking into Cincinnati. I have a few questions:

1) How much does the Kollel pay? How do the Kollel couples live - do the wives work also? Do Kollel families use government programs (like Medicaid, WIC, foodstamps)?

2) I heard there is some type of initiative to encourage people to move to the community where they provide free tuition and housing for the first x amount of years. Anybody have more info on that and/or know how many years it is for?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 6:59 pm
don't know of any initiative. We just moved here over the summer and we didn't get any free tution or housing or anything.

sound like you are looking in to the kollel- do you know if they have any openings? I know it's not easy to join, they don't have so many yungerleit and they are picky about who they'll take.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 7:08 pm
Isn't Cincinnati in Ohio? I thought Ohio has tuition vouchers that really help, wouldn't make tuition free but still more like 2-3k per kid not 8-10k. Can someone please clarify this? I have heard that kollel/rebbe families get free tution as they are low income families and that they can pay their rent through parsonage which basically means your rent comes off your paycheck so it looks like your earning less and then you qualify for benefits like medicaid and foodstamps. I think. Not 100% sure.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:06 pm
previous amother- what you are saying definitely makes sense.
to clarify- vouchers pay for part of tuition. There is then the give and get.... if you are low income you don't pay the rest of tuition but you still have to pay the extra fees.

There are kollel apartments in Cincinnati. It's possible that people qualify for government benefits based on what you are saying, that's very different then saying that there are "incentives". Incentives would be irrespective of salary.

I'll reiterate though- before anybody gets all excited about joining the Cincinnati kollel I strongly recommend that you contact the kollel to see if they are even looking.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
We are also looking into Cincinnati. I have a few questions:

1) How much does the Kollel pay? How do the Kollel couples live - do the wives work also? Do Kollel families use government programs (like Medicaid, WIC, foodstamps)?

2) I heard there is some type of initiative to encourage people to move to the community where they provide free tuition and housing for the first x amount of years. Anybody have more info on that and/or know how many years it is for?

1) I am not even sure if the kollel has any openings. You should find that out first, and if they do, and you are offered a spot, they will tell you what they pay. The wives teach, do accounting, therapy positions, etc I am sure that at least some of them use or have used government programs over the years, but it's not necessarily a necessity, depending on the wife's income and the amount of children one has.

2) There is no such thing AFAIK. Free tuition is if you are low income enough that not only do you get the regular government school voucher (not income based), but the school has to waive the rest of tuition. This is for K+, not preschool. Housing is free in the kollel apartments for kollel members as part of the salary package. Beyond that, you do have to pay for housing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
Isn't Cincinnati in Ohio? I thought Ohio has tuition vouchers that really help, wouldn't make tuition free but still more like 2-3k per kid not 8-10k. Can someone please clarify this? I have heard that kollel/rebbe families get free tution as they are low income families and that they can pay their rent through parsonage which basically means your rent comes off your paycheck so it looks like your earning less and then you qualify for benefits like medicaid and foodstamps. I think. Not 100% sure.

Full tuition this year in the elementary is 9000, tuition voucher is 4650 off.
There is a 1000 building fee per family, give or get of 1200 per family, and a miscellaneous supply and activity fee of I forgot how much per kid/grade level.

The school may waive additional tuition for their rabbeim/teachers -- it's up to the school but not a given at all. The low income thing where you don't have to pay for additional tuition beyond the voucher is for anyone, if you are really, really low income. You still have to pay for fees.

As far as parsonage, it's not that simple. Actually, paying for your own rent or mortgage probably helps in your benefits assessment to get more foodstamps. Unless you're really not low income and then I don't know who is doing this just to qualify. Certain things are parsonage (part of the kollel salary package is housing), but not stam being a teacher in the school.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:38 pm
If you want, though, you're welcome to come even if you don't get a position in the kollel, and have your husband learn there anyway Wink You will have to pay for housing, and maybe your husband can substitute or something as a rebbe for some income here and there, but depending on where you are coming from and your own income level, it still may be affordable Smile Not trying to turn anyone away here, but I do want to be realistic.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 1:55 am
So what is the torah l'netzach program? I think that is the program I was referring to earlier. I heard that they offer financial incentives to people moving to the community who will learn part time and study/work part time (I had specifically heard the benefits were housing, tuition and a kollel stipend).

Also, do they have a kosher butcher where you can buy fresh meat?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 7:08 am
don't think its around anymore. I think the rosh kollel said they decided its a better idea to help people who are already working get jobs in Cincinnati. The other way was probably too expensive. I think it probably also has to do with the fact that now there is already an established young community. People who did that program stayed on and are raising families here now and other people have also joined.

These incentive programs are usually for communities that don't have young families yet, Cincinnati is no longer in that category so people don't need to be "bribed". You'll still be welcomed and appreciated. Its not so big that you'll just be a number.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating