Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What time do you get to shul on Shabbat morning?
1  2  Next

What time do you get to shul on Shabbat morning?
Pskei d'zimra/Zemirot (or earlier)  
 4%  [ 4 ]
Shema  
 4%  [ 4 ]
Shmone Esrei  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kriat haTorah/Haftara  
 16%  [ 14 ]
during Musaf  
 4%  [ 4 ]
just before Adon Olam  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't go to shul in the morning--no eruv with young kids, too tired, other reasons (pls comment)  
 68%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 85

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 5:21 pm
The title says it all. Also please feel to add what time tefilla starts in your shul.

We start 8:30 or 8:45 and finishes around 11:30.
After setting the table for lunch and preparing salatim, I rarely get there before kriat Torah which is like 10am, but there's an amazing woman with 2 toddlers who is always there like just after 9am.

Maya

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 6:34 pm
Our shul also starts at 8:30, I usually get there about 9:45 or so, during kriat haTorah also. There are no young people in our shul. I think 9:30-10:00 is average for most women to arrive, although some always show up ten minutes before davening ends and come mainly to socialize at the kiddush...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 6:54 pm
The is no womens section in the shul on regular Shobbosim.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 6:56 pm
I don't go to shul in the winter, it's too cold for me. I'll might start going again in the summer.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:04 pm
There is no program for kids at our shul. I have a chronic illness, but I would drag myself out of bed if there was a program for DD, or even other kids she could meet there. Girls just don't seem to go to shul at all around here. DD says none of her classmates go, either. So, we stay at home, sleep in, and then set the table for lunch.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:13 pm
Don't go .. A!l the shuls in Lakewood are very misogynistic.

When I'm in monsey I go to Bais Torah. I love Rabbi Gottliebs speech

Chloe22

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:41 pm
My shul starts 8:45. I try to get there between 9:45 and 10:00. I didn't make it today because of the blizzard

SingALong

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:49 pm
I don't go. There are no kids groups or babysitting and there needs to be quiet in shul for people to Daven so that's that. Sometimes I send my young son with older Dd to DH for last 20-30 minutes of shul, he can't handle more than that. When I bring him I don't stay to Daven but hurry back since I left Dd babysitting at home. If love it if she'd go to shul with friends though but the girls aren't into it.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:56 pm
My husband and I feel that until our children can sit quietly they dont belong in shul. I usually get there around ten and hang out in a children's room aka the room where mother's with children who are too young are supposed to go to.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 8:52 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Don't go .. A!l the shuls in Lakewood are very misogynistic
When I'm in monsey I go to Bais Torah. I love Rabbi Gottliebs speech

not true at all ... have you ever been to ateres yeshaya on a shabbos morning?

I'm assuming R' Gissinger is similar.

My mil is 80 and goes to shul every shabbos in lakewood.

If you wanted to go for a good davening you would have many choices.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 9:33 pm
Middle aged so I'm a free agent.
I go to a yeshiva minyan that starts 8:15 but is really slow. I get there at about 8:40, 8:45 around Nishmas, am caught up by end of Shemone Esrei.
I go when I do because I can't daven that slowly. And this way I can wake up d teenage s and make him a coffee. Then make Kiddush and have my own coffee and some ww crackers.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
My husband and I feel that until our children can sit quietly they dont belong in shul. I usually get there around ten and hang out in a children's room aka the room where mother's with children who are too young are supposed to go to.

so what's the point in going to shul?

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
not true at all ... have you ever been to ateres yeshaya on a shabbos morning?

I'm assuming R' Gissinger is similar.

My mil is 80 and goes to shul every shabbos in lakewood.

If you wanted to go for a good davening you would have many choices.

I live 5 miles from those places

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:13 pm
I host the minyan in my house. I am at friday night. Shabbos day. Mincha and maariv. Lol
I don't get to daven much though between keeping my kids quiet. I do get to hear the davening though and answer to kedusha which is really nice. Shul starts at 9 in th morning. I am downstairs and dressed by 8:30.
Friday night I bench 10 minutes early in case ppl come early to shul as well.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:23 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
The title says it all. Also please feel to add what time tefilla starts in your shul.

We start 8:30 or 8:45 and finishes around 11:30.
After setting the table for lunch and preparing salatim, I rarely get there before kriat Torah which is like 10am, but there's an amazing woman with 2 toddlers who is always there like just after 9am.

What are the 2 toddlers doing there from 9 am until 11:30?!

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:36 pm
The shul we daven at is bursting at the seams. There are too many families and not enough seats. The women's section is tiny so most women with young children don't go for davening. I rarely go unless there is a kiddush and even then I only go towards the end.

DH goes to hashkama and then to a chaburah afterwards, so I usually take it easy with my girls on shabbos mornings. Sometimes we go to shul when the weather is nice just to get out of the house, but we don't actually go into shul.

PBJ

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:42 pm
Our shul starts at 8:45 and I get there for the kiddush. With two little kids I can't be in shul davening either way but everyone does what works for them. I have friends who's toddlers go to shul mine have way too much energy for that Wink

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:44 pm
When living at home/single, I was at shul every shabbos at the start. Even when the shul was very far... Excepting of course for bad weather. And maybe finals week.
When married pre kids, I went at the zman.
Now, I am lucky to get there at all. Mostly kiddush time.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 3:04 am
In Israel, our shul starts at 8:00 and ends roughly at 10:15 or so (depends on baalei tefilot and how long the rabbi speaks).
I really would like to get there by Kriat Hatorah or a bit before to actually daven, but it just is not working out for me. I get in all my weeks worth of sleep on shabbat and I find that now that my kids finally allow me to sleep in (sort of - that's after I make sure they have breakfast, are wearing normal shabbat and weather appropriate outfits, don't beat each other up, etc) on Shabbat I can't seem to pull myself out of bed before 9:30.
I really need to make this more of a priority, since my kids are old enough to let me daven.

Our community is children friendly and I believe kids should be part of davening (they shouldn't bother, but a bit of noise or kids coming in and out should be tolerated). Since shul ends early we don't usually sit down to eat right after shul. There are children's shiurim and then we have enough time to organize the house for lunch. But if we have guests or are hosting kiddush (which we do occasionally) I do need to make sure everything is prepared before I leave for shul.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 3:12 am
Our shul starts at 8:30 and finished by 10:15ish. I try to get there by 9. BH our shul is adjacent to a park and we live on a yishuv so there are no cars on shabbat, so I can let my daughter play with her friends in the park and I get to daven.
If we are relaxing at home and I see that it is already past 9 then I usually dont go to shul as its just too late. Shul is that quick here. But I will walk my daughter to the park and come back home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note