Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What time do you get to shul on Shabbat morning?
Previous  1  2

What time do you get to shul on Shabbat morning?
Pskei d'zimra/Zemirot (or earlier)  
 4%  [ 4 ]
Shema  
 4%  [ 4 ]
Shmone Esrei  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kriat haTorah/Haftara  
 16%  [ 14 ]
during Musaf  
 4%  [ 4 ]
just before Adon Olam  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't go to shul in the morning--no eruv with young kids, too tired, other reasons (pls comment)  
 68%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 85

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 3:45 am
seeker wrote:
What are the 2 toddlers doing there from 9 am until 11:30?!

Actually these toddlers are even more amazing. They mostly sit with either parents content with books and teddys. If they get bored or restless, a parent takes them to the room next door. We have a social room that function as the children's room and kiddush room. The younger children seem quite happy with free play and very often very happy to 'help' the kiddush ladies. Children's services and mid-morning kiddie kiddush start after Haftara so about 10:30 or before.

sweetpotato

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 9:50 am
Our shul doesn't start till 9:15/9:30 on Shabbos. I have a toddler and baby and we are all up at 6:30 on Shabbos. If shul started earlier, we'd all probably get there right on time, but by the time it's time to leave, the baby has gone back down for a nap, my husband has already davened shacharis so he can have breakfast, and I'm tired from a whole morning of dealing with the toddler and in no mood to get dressed to go out. So usually my husband leaves with the kids around 10, gets there for krias ha torah/mussaf, and I get there by the end. I would love if there were an earlier minyan we could go to, but there ain't.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:39 pm
I'm one of those traditional ladies who go a few times a year to shul, as in olden times. Also no one will keep my kids for me. And I enjoy not having to. The few times I go, there were a few old ladies and singles.

mille

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:04 pm
Our shul is starts at 9am and generally ends around 11:15am. I usually get there around Torah reading (10:15ish?). By the time I get there, there's plenty of strollers parked out front. I actually think those with kids tend to come earlier because they send the kids to groups or they do mommy and me and all that stuff. Right now I have the luxury of rolling out of bed and getting ready at my leisure!

etky

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:35 pm
Shul starts at 08:45 and that's when I get there. DH and I leave the house together.
I'm usually the first woman there.
I love the quiet during psukei dezimra when very few women are there. I can really center and focus at that time.
My kids are teens so my days of staying home with little kids are long over.
Shul is over usually by 10:30 and then we socialize a bit. I still have plenty of time to set the table and make salad when I get home because we live just down the block from the shul.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:39 pm
Honestly, the idea of women going to shul on shabbos when they have little kids is foreign to me. especially since there is no eiruv here.

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:43 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Honestly, the idea of women going to shul on shabbos when they have little kids is foreign to me. especially since there is no eiruv here.

Clarification: There is an eiruv there, you are just choosing not to use it. Not that you should go to shul on shabbos morning. Smile

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 6:51 am
My mother, grandmothers, great grandmothers, lite MO to shaved head, eruv or not, did not go. Why should I? I don't want to. (no one is taking away from me my women duties so I'm not adding the men's)

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:10 am
Ruchel wrote:
My mother, grandmothers, great grandmothers, lite MO to shaved head, eruv or not, did not go. Why should I? I don't want to. (no one is taking away from me my women duties so I'm not adding the men's)

You don't have to. I go because I WANT to. I enjoy going. If I wouldn't, it wouldn't dawn upon me to go.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:17 am
My mother went to shul as soon as she was able to. ie kids could walk. I go to shul but since I have a toddler I don't actually go into shul for very long. Mostly we hang out at the childrens service and the kiddush. I usually get there about 11am. I do all meal preps after shul.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:48 am
In my velt it's a thing for middle aged to older women. With little kids, you stay home.

busydev

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:55 am
When all my kids are reliably walking and the weather is nice we walk two blocks to Shul to pick up dh and come home. Shul starts at 8 and is generally over by 10:15. We only have kiddushim for occasions and there is no kid room or programs.
So far this has happened a few months at a time until my next baby is born.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 10:56 am
I have barely gone for years.

First child is not the type to be quiet, so I don't take her, and recently I had a baby, so that is just not in the picture at all now. (Kollel starts around 8:00 am or 8:30). I'm also pretty tired, so I am going to take advantage of not having to rush somewhere.

When I only had my daughter, I did take her for brief periods of time so that she could see the davening. She would quietly tell me that she was done being quiet and still, and I would take her out.

When I was single, I tried to get there early and to start, but I really like davening at home, when I can.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note