Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is this considered avoda zara?

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:43 pm
maneki-neko

Sake

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:49 pm
I was taught it was and have taught my children. Its not Hello Kitty ...who is simply annoying.

Nomie

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 8:05 pm
I don't think so, but it probably depends on who you ask.

What's the different between a Japanese person having one of these in their shop, and a Jewish person having a mezuza, a hamsa and one of those glass eyes to protect against the ayin hara? They are all physical items meant to bring protection and luck...(except the mezuza is in its own category- obvy)

cbsp

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:52 am
FWIW our local kosher Chinese restaurant has one on the counter. We asked the certifying agency about it and they said it's not a problem.

FWIW further I believe our (non local) Rov would disagree...

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:03 am
I have nobody to ask. My mil bought it for my ds. He's okay with throwing it out, so I guess I'll do that. Better be safe than sorry.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:31 am
my grandmother had one of those. she said it was used to indicate whether or not visitors were welcome at the time. if it faced the door, visitors were welcome. if it faced away from the door, it was a bad time for visitors. I used to love playing with that cat. interesting question, I never thought that way. unless some serious powers are attributed to the cat, I doubt it's an issue. op, do you not have any rav you can consult? it would be very interesting to hear what answer you get.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:32 am
I grew up in Japan, so I'm very familiar with both the maneki neko and Hello Kitty. I don't think the waving cat has anything to do, it's more of a good luck charm, more specifically maneki means " waving in" the money. Local religion is combination of Buddhism and shintoism both are big on ancestral and spirit reverence but noone would actually worship or present offering to the waving cat.

As for Hello Kitty, as much as it's annoying, it is just a cartoon cat. You won't have issues with Elmar the patchwork elephant or Baber the elephant king because the Hindus worship gsnesh with the elephant's head.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions