Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Tzitzis cake

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:40 pm
I am making an upsherin next sunday and would like to make a tzitzis cake. I need tips. how do I get the cake whole out of the 9x13 to be able to display it on a flat surface. I need a good recipe of a non chocolate cake that would behave when moved. I plan on using chocolate chips to make the black stripes. any idea of something edible that I can use as white strings.

workaholicmama

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:42 pm
Mazel tov!! May you have lots of nachas. I'm also doing an upshern in a couple of months, and already think of ideas....
Use any basic cake, rather dense than fluffy.
To get the cake out whole, use parchment paper, flip on a tray when cool, and peel the paper off.

Last edited by workaholicmama on Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Miri7

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:44 pm
Very thinly sliced fondant for the strings?

climbing613

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:48 pm
If it's totally flat then you can pipe the strings

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 11:26 pm
You don't need to make edible strings if you don't serve them.

At the last upsherin I went to, the mom made a tzitzis cake by cutting a scoop out of one of the shorter sides of the cake, icing the rest white and putting actual string at the bottom of the cake. Oh, and I think she used black licorice for the stripes, but chocolate chips would probably go over better.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 7:56 am
I used "sprinkles black piping gel" to make the black stripes. I did not make strings. I made mine out of peanut chew and covered it in white baking chocolate.

israel22

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 8:06 am
I used for the strings real strings easier that way.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 9:54 am
Cut a half circle out of the top of the cake to be the kippah. Use sour straws if you want edible strings. Don't worry about the color, they don't stay white for long!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins