Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What is your main news source?

What is your main source of news?
Jewish Newspapers  
 4%  [ 5 ]
Non Jewish Newspapers  
 10%  [ 11 ]
television  
 4%  [ 5 ]
radio  
 11%  [ 12 ]
kol mivaser  
 4%  [ 5 ]
social media  
 32%  [ 33 ]
friends/family fill me in on the news  
 7%  [ 8 ]
Imamother  
 9%  [ 10 ]
other- please explain  
 11%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 101

boymom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:12 am
So many women on this site are well versed in politics and other news related topics, such as foreign policy issues. I'm so not into politics , though I wish I was a little more interested. personally , I'd rather someone give me a brief synopsis of everything that's going on rather than sitting through newspapers and reading it each week.

when I do read a newspaper, I glance through the headlines quickly and read bits and pieces.

sometimes when I remember I put on the radio for a couple of minutes just to hear what's going on.

Sometimes dh has Kol Mivaser on speaker so I get to hear some newsbits.

And of course I check out Imamother to see if there's anything really important happening in the world.

how about you?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:31 am
I read both Jewish non Jewish news sources. I read aggregated news sites and sites that publish original content,these sites can be foreign or domestic. I also read opinion pieces regardless of what side of an issue they take. I listen to public radio and right wing talk radio. I also discuss the news with my peers on a regular basis. I do subscribe to a few magazines and podcasts. And I love reading science news and news about arts and culture.

Growing up my family received 4daily papers and a few weeklies and a great many magazines. Current events were daily dinner conversations and I continued that practice when raising my own family.

boymom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:41 am
I like that Magenta . my parents never discussed politics when I was growing up. my mother listened to the radio a lot but it was never a family discussion. my father definitely read some papers but isn't a big talker so was definitely not a discussion. we also never got publications. I think my father picked up the daily news on the way to work and left it there. in my teenage years we got hamodia but it didn't interest me. I'm always in awe of women that are so up to date with politics.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:52 am
boymom wrote:
I like that Magenta . my parents never discussed politics when I was growing up. my mother listened to the radio a lot but it was never a family discussion. my father definitely read some papers but isn't a big talker so was definitely not a discussion. we also never got publications. I think my father picked up the daily news on the way to work and left it there. in my teenage years we got hamodia but it didn't interest me. I'm always in awe of women that are so up to date with politics.

My parents were immigrants, they loved being able to stay informed. Both would have really enjoyed the Internet. We were raised to read and encouraged to read a broad range of material.

November

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:02 am
We discuss politics a lot in our home. As does Magenta, I read a lot of aggregate sources on the internet that cull articles. My reading tends to lean right, but I enjoy checking some sites that are left-wing as well to get a sense of where they stand on issues. On almost a daily basis, I'm looking at Real Clear politics, Fox news, Huffington Post, Drudge Report and for Israeli news I look at Arutz 7 and Times of Israel.

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 3:50 am
My mother is well versed in politics. She reads the news and listens to talk shows.
I just skim headlines, and I'm definitely not up to date and well informed.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 6:37 am
I think there are big variance among non - Jewish newspapers. I'm always amazed how few international events make headlines in local papers or USA Today, though others like Wall Street Journal or FT have really high quality, in depth reporting. (Personally I really don't care for NY Times, so much sloppy works these days ).

pause

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:12 am
I voted other.
I check out Google News.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:23 am
I start with google news and flipboard and google for further reading.

I enjoy the diversity of articles on any given subject that comes up in a search, and I get a kick out of spotting the obvious and subtle bias of various publications.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:28 am
I voted other- I check out Times of Israel several times a day for local and major international news. I count on Imamother for anything I've missed. We also usually pick up the weekend edition of Yisrael Hayom (newspaper handed out free at various locations in Israel, including our makolet).

November

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:29 am
youngishbear wrote:

I enjoy the diversity of articles on any given subject that comes up in a search, and I get a kick out of spotting the obvious and subtle bias of various publications.

I enjoy that too, except when it's to deliberately make Israel or IDF look bad and/or Palestinian terrorists look good or innocent.

mille

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:31 am
I use Reddit, which is basically a user-submitted link aggregator with a voting system. The voting system does a good job of eliminating extremely repetitive links and bringing reliable sources to the top of the page.

tymama

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 6:59 pm
Twitter

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 7:16 pm
November wrote:
I enjoy that too, except when it's to deliberately make Israel or IDF look bad and/or Palestinian terrorists look good or innocent.

Unfortunately this is one area where it's not fun at all. But I rarely look up the news on this issue anywhere besides the Hamodia, Imamother, and YWN/VIN. I don't bother with anti-Israeli drivel.

I was talking mainly about domestic and foreign affairs besides Israel.

Librarian

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 7:46 pm
I am a lifetime subscriber to the New York Times. I feel quite guilty about it as their coverage of all things Israel is extremely biased. I just can't seem to quit I have been a cover to cover reader since I was a teenager. I read it all even the treif restaurant reviews!

Librarian

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 7:49 pm
But in my defense - for Shabbos we buy and read the Yated, Hamodia, Jewish Press, Mishpacha, Bina and Ami! Its my oneg Shabbos!

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 8:02 pm
playgroup morah wrote:
I am a lifetime subscriber to the New York Times. I feel quite guilty about it as their coverage of all things Israel is extremely biased. I just can't seem to quit I have been a cover to cover reader since I was a teenager. I read it all even the treif restaurant reviews!

I often find myself on their website (sent there by Google.) I find that as long as I keep in mind their starting POV I can really enjoy their articles.
Same goes for the Wall Street Journal.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:19 pm
Whatsap has news before it even happens. Best form of updated happenings.

morningsickness

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 4:55 am
I take a quick look at "Kikar Hashabat" website every morning just to get an idea of what's going on. I then check out YWN for a better read. We subscribe to the Hebrew Mishpacha, and I especially love reading Jonathan Rosenblum's column.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics